Car Import Update

tuktukmike

It is 4 months since ole Mike said a word :o

It was an intersting thread.

I am planning a 2 month holiday in Australia with my wife. The plan was to take the Pick-up to Australia and drive it on the Bangkok plates for the 2 months before putting it back on the boat to come home. I spoke to one of the shipping companies I regularly used and I got quoted 24,000 baht for the return journey of 4-6 weeks each way plus insurance. That being about $800 AUD, I think its a good idea, as it will cost me a alot more to rent a car in Australia for 2 months.

From my understanding, 3 months is the limit you can drive a car with foreign plates, so I will be well under that limit.

The other main reason it I want to make some major modifications to the vehicle and change the rolling chassis to a Turbo Diesel Patrol 4WD rolling chassis. I don't see this as much of a problem as the Frontier here is only a Cab / Tray on chassis assembly, so the Tray can be unbolted, and the cabin can be changed over as well.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be careful Matt, Thailand has some strange vehicular laws.

You say some major alterations.

Under Thai regulations a pick-up MUST have leaf rear suspension.

If you change it to coils, when you re-enter LOS it may not be a pick-up any more. A possible cause of trouble.

I have no idea what you are planning but it sounds like a chassis swop.

Errr, not a good idea. The chassis number will be checked when you re-enter.

"They check chassis and engine numbers when you renew your tax."

No they don't

Only when you change owners

Er, did with me, and no, I didn't change owners. Maybe I just went to the wrong place. They also did a (cursory) emissions test and a 'inspection' (they drove over the pit, no one in the pit). :o

TiT, as usual :D:D

Edited by Crossy

My stepson also found it odd (he was with me) lots of discussion but no actual reasons.

I wonder if there were any rule adjustments when they introduced the idea that the tax and compulsory insurance have to cover the same period.

Anyone else had a similar experience???

Edited by Crossy

Hi all, im back im back at last,

Some pile of crap sent me an e mail with a worm that destroyed my computer settings and programmes.

We searched the house and as i said before we just moved from england, so we went through boxes and boxes of our stuff and could not find the recovery discs we needed. then today i went into draw in bedroom and found it, so at last i am on line again.

Car has a problem, they have damaged the front end and also ripped off the exhaust system, this was caused they say by a flat tyre and as a result the underside came into contact with the ramps. what happend next was that they had to clear the ramp so used a forklift to remove car (yes i know i should have sent by container).

They wanted me to sign that i accept car in this condition which i refused as i have shipping insurance and want someone to pay for repairs. so now in the hands of lawyers in BKK and also trying to deal with company in england.

Should i hope have resalution in the next week fingers crossed.

mike.

By the way where is the italian prat who claims they invented tuk-tuks,

Always use container. Ro-ro is very risky for cars. Damages done by trafficker or personel or illegals who use your car as their home for the transit

Container is more expensive but it is safer. Always have a broken window, stolen parts, something broke from the ro-ro

How much was your fee ? you initially claimed it to be around 60,000 baht and then it went to 120,000 baht !!!

how much was your original car cost ? if it was less than 10,000 dollars then you are paying almost 50% of tax including agents fee etc... that's quite a lot.

• 1 month later...

I had an idea as I have been wanting to import mu Saab to LOS for a while.

If I bought an older Mazda 323,which'd cost me about 500 pounds in the UK. Then 80% tax on that value would be very little and 80% on import.

Does this mean it would cost me arount 2 grand to import it?(or maybe less).

Even a 9 year old Mazda 323 in Los would set you back around 3000 pounds.

• 1 month later...

Mike,

Has there been any update on your situation? I've just stumpled onto this post (and onto this site as a matter of fact) and I'm highly interested if everything has worked out okay.

I am also looking into importing (my 996 911) and hearing your story actually makes the importing process relatively painless (with the exception of your shipping damage)...

Do you mind if you can forward me the contact info for your agent? I would love to get in touch with him/her.

Thanks so much.

jon

Mike,

Has there been any update on your situation? I've just stumpled onto this post (and onto this site as a matter of fact) and I'm highly interested if everything has worked out okay.

I am also looking into importing (my 996 911) and hearing your story actually makes the importing process relatively painless (with the exception of your shipping damage)...

Do you mind if you can forward me the contact info for your agent?  I would love to get in touch with him/her.

Thanks so much.

jon

the guy failed to update us on his situation and I think it's safe to say that it probably was a disaster. You dont want to brag on the Internet when you get taken to the cleaner.

Mike,

Do you mind if you can forward me the contact info for your agent?  I would love to get in touch with him/her.

Thanks so much.

jon

the guy failed to update us on his situation and I think it's safe to say that it probably was a disaster. You dont want to brag on the Internet when you get taken to the cleaner.

Probably not a disaster for the head of customs who as we speak is on his way home (the long way) driving some farangs car and will be for the next 6 months or so...... Oh hang on, wasnt this the Ford Scorpio thread??? - Sorry in which case its likely in the breakers yard being torn apart for scrap with the proceeds going to the same customs guy.

• 2 months later...

Bump for our friend tuktukmike

Well, it seems that our worst fears have been met. The car was seized and is being sold off by Customs officials who are probably in bed with those auction players. Nice going.

Despite all the jokings and warnings in this thread, Thailand becomes very reliable when it comes to disasters. This is another one of them.

More here from the OP: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=48780

Edited by Butterfly

• 3 years later...
I am very curious..

I personally have a BMW 850 CSI in storage in Europe.. Its a very rare car (far different from the base 850 models) and is fully loaded with alpine TV's navi DVD etc.. Due to me not being there I would let it go for +- 15k Euro (a steal but its a white elephant currently)..

I know I can purchase Porche 911's (964's) of good used quality in the 20 - 25k range or S class mercs at about the same (last model big body one).. These cars are well over 3 mil in BKK last time I made a brief look ??

You are saying I can get them in the country at 80% of the value I purchase them at (holding for 3 years is the issue) ??

I would probably bring my 850 in is it would be costing me only about 400k baht !!

Dug up this old thread because I just read the thread about the guy wanting to import his Triumph.

A few things:

1. What happened to tuktukmike? Seems he disappeard from this old thread. I can only assume he got farked by Customs (as will EVERYBODY who tries to do the same, NO MATTER WHAT).

2. LaoPo (to be honest, I haven't seen you post lately) - Do you still have the 850CSI. I want it. Enough said. Color?

3. Customs will screw you. People love thier cars, I know, and everybody thinks that they can do something in Thailand that others have tried and failed (aka importing a car)... much like the loads of guys who think that their girl is 'different,' nobody listens... ok, fine, that is life - learn for yourself. But this car thing has been confirmed time and again as a mess.

4. LaoPo, did I say I want your CSI?

I sold the 850 :o !! Took a pittance for it (10k EUR) but someone went and collected it from storage with flat batterys etc and just wired the money so cut my losses, should have sold it really before I letf but I loved it so much I always kinda hoped not to part with it..

Oddly enough I just found some old pics of it today.. Hadnt given it a thought in years.

I spent about 18k NLG on the alpine in dash navi / CD / DVD etc way back when it was all brand new tech, so 5k plus EUR on internals !! fark I gave that away !!

Not a bad motor for a gypsy kid in his 20's !!

post-9246-1234948425_thumb.jpg

post-9246-1234948438_thumb.jpg

post-9246-1234948500_thumb.jpg

Edited by LivinLOS

• 2 months later...
Hi all

I found the last post i made on this subject on page 77, but for some reason the powers that be closed it after asking me to let them know of my progress.

Well i got my import license from the Department of Commercial Affairs last week in Bangkok and my car arrives on the 4th jan at leam chebang port, so far so good.

As i had stated i sent it by ro-ro which takes 45 days, strange really as a container only takes around 30 days.

I have an agreed value all set up with the commerce dept and i will pay duty of 80% CIF,

I am told that the customs should clear the car by the week commencing 10jan at which time i will be able to collect.

I will of course keep all who may be interested informed to events as they happen and i will still be keeping fingers crossed that my car has no damage.

Mike,

Also i forgot to add the requirements and given rules.

1. You must have owned the car for at least 18 months.

2. You must have a work permit.

3. You cannot sell, hire,lend the car to anyone for a period of three years.

Yes, he got screwed.

Group: Members

Member No.: 12,445

I would agree 100% with your comments,

As some of you will know i exported my car from England to Thailand and it all went pear shaped.

If you bring a nice car in then customs will up and up the price until you walk away, they are then left to get the said car for personal friends at a very low price.

After 3 price increases i was forced to walk away, my opinion of Thai customs officials i am afraid i could not put into words.

As many of you know Thailand signed up to the GATT agreement which imposes fair and transparent valuations on all imported goods, the problem is although the Thais singed this agreement it as usual does not mean they have to follow the regulations.

Mike.

As many of you know Thailand signed up to the GATT agreement which imposes fair and transparent valuations on all imported goods, the problem is although the Thais singed this agreement it as usual does not mean they have to follow the regulations.

Mike.

Not that i think for one moment that it would make a difference but who is the Governing body (i.e a type of Ombudsman) who Thailand could be reported to ?

Also, is it only farang who have these problems and do Thai's returning to live in Thailand have a smoother ride through the customs.

Mike.

Not that i think for one moment that it would make a difference but who is the Governing body (i.e a type of Ombudsman) who Thailand could be reported to ?

Also, is it only farang who have these problems and do Thai's returning to live in Thailand have a smoother ride through the customs.

Complaints can only be made by another country(s) which is also a signatory to the GATT Agreement. Before a complaint can be made, negotiations between the parties must have been tried.

Unfortunate for tuktukmike.

but at least he had the balls to give it a go, while a bunch of armchair warriors (mostly brits!) had a go at him for whatever reason!

I for one hope his exports in the other direction are earning him a bunch of coin, while i hope also that the 'italian prat' is sitting at the side of the road pondering his italian machinery!

Moonfruit. Your correct it was unfortunate for Mike.

"but at least he had the balls to give it a go, while a bunch of armchair warriors (mostly brits!) had a go at him for whatever reason!"

Well Mike is a Brit as well. The main reason that mostly Brits said it could not be done is quite simple 'we can read' and to date i am pretty sure that NO ONE has managed to import a 2nd hand car successfully as a personal import. Correct me if i'm wrong. as a guess your a yank.