Car Import Update

tuktukmike

Hi all

I found the last post i made on this subject on page 77, but for some reason the powers that be closed it after asking me to let them know of my progress.

Well i got my import license from the Department of Commercial Affairs last week in Bangkok and my car arrives on the 4th jan at leam chebang port, so far so good.

As i had stated i sent it by ro-ro which takes 45 days, strange really as a container only takes around 30 days.

I have an agreed value all set up with the commerce dept and i will pay duty of 80% CIF,

I am told that the customs should clear the car by the week commencing 10jan at which time i will be able to collect.

I will of course keep all who may be interested informed to events as they happen and i will still be keeping fingers crossed that my car has no damage.

Mike,

Also i forgot to add the requirements and given rules.

1. You must have owned the car for at least 18 months.

2. You must have a work permit.

3. You cannot sell, hire,lend the car to anyone for a period of three years.

Edited by tuktukmike

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all

I found the last post i made on this subject on page 77, but for some reason the powers that be closed it after asking me to let them know of my progress.

Well i got my import license from the Department of Commercial Affairs last week in Bangkok and my car arrives on the 4th jan at leam chebang port, so far so good.

As i had stated i sent it by ro-ro which takes 45 days, strange really as a container only takes around 30 days.

I have an agreed value all set up with the commerce dept and i will pay duty of 80% CIF,

I am told that the customs should clear the car by the week commencing 10jan at which time i will be able to collect.

I will of course keep all who may be interested informed to events as they happen and i will still be keeping fingers crossed that my car has no damage.

Mike,

Still no idea what your point is, But i hope you enjoy! :D:D:o

What my point is????????

Jockstar, if you had taken the time to read the first post on page 77 dr p p asked me to let people know how i progress.

No point just as stated an update, is a general forum not for the passing on of imformation that may assist others who live out here or have i got the wrong idea of Thai Visa.

The car is a Toyota Supra which i bought very cheap in the UK due to the fact the engine was blown, i spent a lot of time on this car and means a lot to me so there was no way i was going to leave it in the UK.

I am only posting as it happens to let people know of my experience of importing as there seems so much confusion on this subject, ie some say you have to pay 200% import duty.

So all i am doing is going through what i think are the proper channels to import but if all turns out bad then the car will just be put back on ro-ro and i will send it back to the UK, its only £900 to return so nothing ventured nothing gained.

mike.

Hi gaz

I have to pay 80% CIF, this means duty on the agreed value of the car and 80% duty on shipping. ie CIF (cost including freight)

I had to prove what i paid for the car to the Thai Commerce Dept and this was done by showing an invoice from the car auctions where i bought it, also it must be checkable by them to make sure it was not a false invoice.

One other thing i forgot to mention was that i had to show an engineers report on the car to show it was roadworthy.

mike.

Hi all

Mike,

Still no idea what your point is, But i hope you enjoy! :D:D:o

Sorry tuk-tuk. was really pissed when i got home this morning. So nothing would have made sense. no hard feelings mate. I hope the car is ok. Do you have to change the plates?

Hi Jockstar, no hard feelings.

Yes i have to change the plates and this will probably be the hardest thing of all.

My agent in bangkok is trying to allow me to plate in Prachupkirikhan as this covers Hua Hin but they want me to plate in Bangkok before i can drive home.

I have heard of many people having problems changing plates to their area but all i can do is wait and see.

When i said i think i am going through the right channels what i meant is that if you just import a car without a proper license the customs will hit you with 200% import duty on the value they decide upon plus shipping duty.

The only drawback i can see the way i have gone is that i cant sell for three years, but in my case i have no intention of selling under any circumstances.

mike.

What a mistake i made sending by ro-ro,

On my way to Bangkok today to see shipping agent as she needs all my documents to show to customs at Leam Chabang.

Wish i had sent by container as only around 30days, this ro-ro boat is now 10days late due to all the ports it calls in on the way here.

But at least i now know never to use again so i wont be using this service for exporting the tuk-tuks, i will stick to containers as the only stop is Singapore.

From what i am told the delay could be due to the Tsunami as some ports are congested at the moment so i cant really complain.

Now due in on the 14th jan so will update when i know more.

Mike.

Hi gaz

I have to pay 80% CIF, this means duty on the agreed value of the car and 80% duty on shipping. ie CIF (cost including freight)

I had to prove what i paid for the car to the Thai Commerce Dept and this was done by showing an invoice from the car auctions where i bought it, also it must be checkable by them to make sure it was not a false invoice.

One other thing i forgot to mention was that i had to show an engineers report on the car to show it was roadworthy.

mike.

Out of curiosity what is the actual amount of duty in Pound or baht terms and how old is the Supra. I have wondered before about importing car from the UK and would be interested to now how they valued it.

Many thanks

Hi gaz

mike.

Out of curiosity what is the actual amount of duty in Pound or baht terms and how old is the Supra. I have wondered before about importing car from the UK and would be interested to now how they valued it.

Many thanks

They'll value it according to their own book.

What a mistake i made sending by ro-ro,

On my way to Bangkok today to see shipping agent as she needs all my documents to show to customs at Leam Chabang.

Wish i had sent by container as only around 30days, this ro-ro boat is now 10days late due to all the ports it calls in on the way here.

But at least i now know never to use again so i wont be using this service for exporting the tuk-tuks, i will stick to containers as the only stop is Singapore.

From what i am told the delay could be due to the Tsunami as some ports are congested at the moment so i cant really complain.

Now due in on the 14th jan so will update when i know more.

Mike.

Under normal circumstances, RORO is a far better way to ship a motor vehicle. You have just picked a slow shipping line. The chances of damage in a container is much more. :o

Edited by chuchok

Thanks for giving the answer to ro-ro, i thought everyone knew this term.

As for value, nothing to do with customs, all done as i have said before by the thai commercial affairs dept.

I showed receipt for what i paid for the car and they agreed price with me.

They have a car listing price guide in the commerce dept and as i have stated they are the ones who issue the import license which is handed over to customs for car clearance.

mike.

You got your import permit and an agreed value. Congrats!

What still worries me, you talk about 80% duty. But what about excise tax, interior tax and, not to forget, VAT?

If I am correct a Supra has an engine just below 3000 cc, which brings you into the 48% excise bracket, (42% if less than 220 HP).

So the calculation should be:

Value CIF by 80% duty

Excise Tax 48% on CIF plus duty

Interior tax 10% of excise tax

VAT 7% on overall

I see a total of duty and taxes around 250-308 % (depending on HP) rather than

only the duty of 80%, which is correct.

I am looking forward to hearing more details, once your car arrived and is cleared.

Hi Axel,

Not too sure about your figures that you quote but excise tax i have been told will be 14%.

What i was told last week was that i was lucky my car is late as new tariffs have just been introduced due to agreement with EU starting january 1st. my shipping agent told me about this last week when i had to leave work permit and passport with her.

The import cost to release from customs has been confirmed and the total for clearence is 67500bht,

The car arrived yesterday so i am hoping to go and pick up next week, the only confusion so far is registration.

I told them i wanted to register the car in Prachupkirikhan but they said i had to register in Bangkok before i could drive home, now they say they think i can drive home on British plates and have one month to register down here.

I have heard of so many people having problems changing regs from one district to another i really want to avoid this if i can.

By the way, does anyone out there know where i can find an insurance company that have staff who speak english and wont rip me off, my pick up insurance was done by Nissan Cha Am so this is the first time i have had to do myself.

Mike.

I am very curious..

I personally have a BMW 850 CSI in storage in Europe.. Its a very rare car (far different from the base 850 models) and is fully loaded with alpine TV's navi DVD etc.. Due to me not being there I would let it go for +- 15k Euro (a steal but its a white elephant currently)..

I know I can purchase Porche 911's (964's) of good used quality in the 20 - 25k range or S class mercs at about the same (last model big body one).. These cars are well over 3 mil in BKK last time I made a brief look ??

You are saying I can get them in the country at 80% of the value I purchase them at (holding for 3 years is the issue) ??

I would probably bring my 850 in is it would be costing me only about 400k baht !!

What i said was 80% cif, so yes in principal that would be right.

But no way would i even dream of shipping a BMW, Merc or any other car with that type of badge.

I somehow think they would kick your ass very hard, thats why i shipped my toyota, the thais are familiar with them and dont see them as super rich cars.

On that note as you may know you are only allowed one car per work permit which is why my wife is trying to sort hers out with school rather than come on mine.

We are next going to import her Ford Scorpio which is in mint condition but again only carries a Ford badge.

I really dont know how the Thai Commerce Dept will value your car as it seems a very limited model, also if stored for three years you have to show an engineers report on the condition of your car, also is it right hand drive as this is what makes british cars so appealing.

mike.

..................We are next going to import her Ford Scorpio................

excuse me asking but is it really worth going to the trouble and undoubted hassle of importing a ford scorpio into thailand , where will the spare parts come from should it need them (or rather ,when it needs them , it's a ford ), a scorpio is just a run of the mill built to a price ford , why not just buy a similar car here and avoid the headache ?

..................We are next going to import her Ford Scorpio................

excuse me asking but is it really worth going to the trouble and undoubted hassle of importing a ford scorpio into thailand , where will the spare parts come from should it need them (or rather ,when it needs them , it's a ford ), a scorpio is just a run of the mill built to a price ford , why not just buy a similar car here and avoid the headache ?

I have seen loads of '97, '98 mondeo's in the ford service centre on Sukhumvit Road but never see them on the roads. Presume they have to go into Ford service centre to stand a chance of getting the correct spare parts. Having said that mate of mine has got a ford laser and he reckons he has never had to wait for any spare parts so perhaps they keep a pretty good stock, at least for the models they have sold in the past but cant recall ever seeing a Ford Scorpio in Bangkok.

The Ford scorpio was never a run of the mill built to price Ford.%

then i must be confusing it with another model , in the uk, the scorpio that i know was a large (by uk standards) saloon , it went out of production about 8 or 9 years ago , and even when it was current it was not a highly desirable car , it was a ordinary everyday car. as most fords are.

maybe in another market the scorpio was (is) a completely different car.

but i still cant fathom the reasoning behind importing one to thailand unless it has some emotional significance to you.

Mike,

Regarding your insurance, give Paul Chow a call on 038 422 825, absolutely professional and speaks perfect english. The company is PCS insurance, and the website is :-

www.insurance-in-thailand.com

What is the proceedure and cost for registering the car, is it pretty straightforward ?

Out of interest is your Supra running the old 7MGTE engine ? If so you might like to consider swapping in a 1JZGTE from the JDM supra. Its a far superior engine (no head gasket problems), runs 280BHP stock, but with some twiddling massive power gains are possible. I've just done a 1JZ conversion into a '96 Omega with a big single turbo, 500 BHP !

Work is incredibly cheap and its great fun for the car enthusiast.

Plenty of info regarding the conversions at

www.supraforums.com

Best of luck with customs, keep us posted with your progress.

Cheers,

INTJ

Edited by INTJ

I am very curious..

I personally have a BMW 850 CSI in storage in Europe.. Its a very rare car (far different from the base 850 models) and is fully loaded with alpine TV's navi DVD etc.. Due to me not being there I would let it go for +- 15k Euro (a steal but its a white elephant currently)..

I know I can purchase Porche 911's (964's) of good used quality in the 20 - 25k range or S class mercs at about the same (last model big body one).. These cars are well over 3 mil in BKK last time I made a brief look ??

You are saying I can get them in the country at 80% of the value I purchase them at (holding for 3 years is the issue) ??

I would probably bring my 850 in is it would be costing me only about 400k baht !!

You say you will let it go for 15k do you mean euro.

Yes it is very rare.

Mike,

Regarding your insurance, give Paul Chow a call on 038 422 825, absolutely professional and speaks perfect english. The company is PCS insurance, and the website is :-

www.insurance-in-thailand.com

What is the proceedure and cost for registering the car, is it pretty straightforward ?

Out of interest is your Supra running the old 7MGTE engine ? If so you might like to consider swapping in a 1JZGTE from the JDM supra. Its a far superior engine (no head gasket problems), runs 280BHP stock, but with some twiddling massive power gains are possible. I've just done a 1JZ conversion into a '96 Omega with a big single turbo, 500 BHP !

Work is incredibly cheap and its great fun for the car enthusiast.

Plenty of info regarding the conversions at

www.supraforums.com

Best of luck with customs, keep us posted with your progress.

Cheers,

INTJ

Massive power gains are possible but watch the valves read article in yesterdays Nation NEWSPAPER business section. ref/ SUPRA

A real posers car.

Hi intj,

Thanks for the insurance info i will give them a call monday.

The Supra arrived at port thursday and am planning to pick up next thursday.

The car does have the 7m engine and you seem to know your stuff about this car, the head gasket has long been a problem with these cars due to the air con rad being right in front of the water rad.

This causes the Supras to overheat, i have solved this by fitting an electric fan in front coupled to a relay to the air con switch, works a treat.

As for the scorp, are lexus built to Toyota cost????????????

If you were to ask the many owners of these highly underated cars you would see why they are now so sought after in Europe in general.

Maybe you should try the Cosworth Scorpio. they are cheap to buy which means i can import at reasonable price.

They were never popular due to the bulbus rear end but you will not find a better equipped car than the scorp ultima.

mike.

ps, my supra is too old like me to be a poser.

flrearright9wo.jpg

is this the car you mean ?

it was fords attempt to counteract the market dominance of the german makers.

ford should have stuck to what they know best , which is making cheap everyday cars for people who dont like cars but need one.

it didnt sell well in the uk due to its frog like face and ugly arse , but they came loaded with all kinds of electric goodies that enabled the mechanics called upon to repair them to be able to afford bmw's and audis !

most ended up as mini-cabs or unsaleable items slowly decomposing at the back of used car lots.

there may be a group of diehard obsessives who collect them , and i do wish you luck in succesfully importing yours to thailand. i can understand how people can fall blindly in love with terrible cars. i had a long and expensive love affair with a triumph tr6 until i came to my senses and settled down with a volkswagen. :o

As for the scorp, are lexus built to Toyota cost????????????

i dont think you can compare a ford from the 1990's to a lexus or even a toyota.

fords from that time were really mutton dressed as lamb.