Low Energy Floodlights

Crossy

Only ever seen the halogen floods but should you find this or similar 42w low wattage flood I would also be most interested for security flood lighting the house at night

BEC also known as BTP or Buntanaphan Electric Company is a widely distributed light fixture manufacturer on display at both chain stores and independent lighting stores. They sell at least two "floodlight" models for exterior use that are illuminated by CFL bulbs. One of the models is a single bulb and the other model I considered is a dual bulb model. This company honors the warranty if you get a defective fixture. They are NOT high cost to buy or to "keep". The main office in Bangkok might be able to tell you which stores stock and can order the fixtures you want in your area. 02-236-0054. The web site is still "under construction" for this firm but many stores have the printed catalog for BEC.

I've always had bad luck using the triple tube lamps for outdoor applications. I try to stick with HID lamps now, but of course you need stable voltage and good ballasts. You get much better optics and reflector efficiency with a smaller lamp.

Thanks Tim. What sort of failures have you experienced, what ype of fittings were the CFLs installed in?

Running costs are paramount for my application which is why I was looking at the CFL lights. I'll be fronting the installation, but the 'leccy is coming out of the restaurant takings of course.

Have you located HID lights in Thailand, costs?

Edited by Crossy

I've brought in any metal halide fixtures I wanted to use, never good luck finding them locally. My past problems really go back to optics; the triple tubes are just too big for reflectors to work well, especially on building mounted fixtures. The particular light you show is more of a floodlight for washing a sign or facade. If you aim it out at the car park from the building all you do is blind people coming in to eat.

Do you want to mount the lights to the building or a pole outside? A pole-mounted fixture will be less critical on optics, but you need more fixtures if it has less control.