Looking For Lad Phrao Hangouts

sandalnomad

I just moved to Lad Phrao Soi 26. I like the neighborhood a lot, but I'm still getting my bearings. Does anyone in the neighborhood have any recommendations for places to eat, drink, shop, etc. I've been checking out other parts of the city, but it would be cool to know some places close to home also.

Thanks

I just moved to Lad Phrao Soi 26. I like the neighborhood a lot, but I'm still getting my bearings. Does anyone in the neighborhood have any recommendations for places to eat, drink, shop, etc. I've been checking out other parts of the city, but it would be cool to know some places close to home also.

Thanks

For shopping you have both Union Mall and Central both located not too far from where you are staying.

They are located right near the Phahon Yothin MRT Station at the beginning of Lad Phrao Road. (Soi 1). Or it might be better to walk a take a look around on the way, (turn left out of Soi 26).

Carrefour is located about half way between Soi 26 and Union Mall/Central.

The's a cool little restaurant opposite Union Mall called 'Pathe'. It looks a little rough from the outside but the food is good (and very reasonably priced). It's worth a look for it's quirkyness.

There's a cool bar in Soi 12, or is it 10?? Anyway, it's called The Buddha Bar and there's a large yellow/orange sign at the beginning of which ever soi it's at.

Most of Lad Phrao's entertainment seems to be down the other end. Maybe you should just get a bus (Red bus No. 122 or 145) from the other side of the road from your soi and take a ride. Down near Big C the are a number of large restaurants/clubs all within a short walking distance of each other. 'The Island' and 'Country Road' are the names of the 2 that spring to mind. This is Lad Phrao Soi 85 area.

There's also a 'Foodland', Macro' and numerous Karaoke joints as you head down Lad Phrao road from here. The Fish Pub near Soi 130 seems popular although I haven't actually been there myself.

If you the keep heading in the same direction you'll eventually come to The Mall, Bang Kapi which is another large shopping centre. Opposite The Mall is a Tesco Lotus. I believe this is then the end of Lad Phrao Road.

Edited by thecatman

Thanks

For shopping you have both Union Mall and Central both located not too far from where you are staying.

They are located right near the Phahon Yothin MRT Station at the beginning of Lad Phrao Road. (Soi 1). Or it might be better to walk a take a look around on the way, (turn left out of Soi 26).

Carrefour is located about half way between Soi 26 and Union Mall/Central.

The's a cool little restaurant opposite Union Mall called 'Pathe'. It looks a little rough from the outside but the food is good (and very reasonably priced). It's worth a look for it's quirkyness.

There's a cool bar in Soi 12, or is it 10?? Anyway, it's called The Buddha Bar and there's a large yellow/orange sign at the beginning of which ever soi it's at.

Most of Lad Phrao's entertainment seems to be down the other end. Maybe you should just get a bus (Red bus No. 122 or 145) from the other side of the road from your soi and take a ride. Down near Big C the are a number of large restaurants/clubs all within a short walking distance of each other. 'The Island' and 'Country Road' are the names of the 2 that spring to mind. This is Lad Phrao Soi 85 area.

There's also a 'Foodland', Macro' and numerous Karaoke joints as you head down Lad Phrao road from here. The Fish Pub near Soi 130 seems popular although I haven't actually been there myself.

If you the keep heading in the same direction you'll eventually come to The Mall, Bang Kapi which is another large shopping centre. Opposite The Mall is a Tesco Lotus. I believe this is then the end of Lad Phrao Road.

Thanks for the info man - will check things out this weekend!

• 2 weeks later...

If you walk just literally around that corner from Lat Phrao onto Rangsit, there's also about 3 very cool bar/restaurants (pretty much in a row, the last one has an outdoor bit) where mostly students from St. John's hang out at night. They play great music (a lot of classic old soul and stuff like the Beatles, Hendrix etc). and are decorated with old Americana type-stuff. Prices are cheap, great atmosphere and the food is good. Walk a bit further towards St. John's, to the corner of the first soi and there's a superb Vietnemese restaurant there, set back a bit off the road. In the other direction (from Pathe), just past Lat Phrao 4, there's a place called Coffee and Noodle Gallery, which makes the best Kao Soi I've ever tasted. Opposite, on the Union Mall side, take a walk down Lat Phrao 1 and go into the market on the left (open pretty late). Some great food in there. You've got plently of choice around there, it's a great little area.

MKAsok, I know exactly the area you mean for the little bars and restaurants, I may well check it out tonight as I'm going to the cinema at Central Lad Phrao later. I'll also go in search of the Vietnemese restaurant you mentioned, I think the TGF might like that.

By doing a search I also found this thread

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Gem-Restaura...ao-t138804.html

The thread is a couple of years old but as I live close by I decided to take the time to walk down Soi 35 this afternoon and the restaurant is still there. It's closed in the afternoons but it looks a pretty cool place. It goes by the english name of 'Starlight Kitchen' (or Krua Sang Dao in Thai). I'll be giving it a whirl sometime in the near future.

I'll also go in search of the Vietnemese restaurant you mentioned, I think the TGF might like that.

Do check it out. It's well worth it. Can't remember the Soi number, but it's the first one you hit before St. John's on Rangsit. There's a big billboard advertising St.John's on the corner and the restaurant is right opposite, it has all windows front and side. There's only one there, so you can't miss it.