The Nation And Bangkok Post Need Copy Editors

apetley

It wasn't in The Nation - and it's not about dodgy grammar - but did anyone notice the two front page ads of Saturday's Bangkok Post ? Sex Changes for $1,625 on one side and Foodland's Variety of European Sausages' on the other. I hope the two are not related...

post-65713-1233557288_thumb.jpg

:o .....You think Pratunam Polyclinic and Foodlands have a sideline going on over used meat ??

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It wasn't in The Nation - and it's not about dodgy grammar - but did anyone notice the two front page ads of Saturday's Bangkok Post ? Sex Changes for $1,625 on one side and Foodland's Variety of European Sausages' on the other. I hope the two are not related...

post-65713-1233557288_thumb.jpg

I think it's fantastic that people are learning the value of recycling.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said Monday that he had instructed the Information and Communication Technology to crack down on websites, which allow students to post messages soliciting sex clients.

Abhisit said the ministry was taking actions against the sites.

He said the prostitution by students was influenced by wrong value so there should be campaigns to have students change their value.

Even back when I had good hand coordination and typed 55 wpm, I was not a perfectionist, unless I was teaching English in the classroom. However, you always consider your audience. In this case - English language newspapers in Thailand - your audience is not filled with pedants. If it communicates, you succeeded. The Nation succeeds, for Thailand.

I can't believe people are actually sticking up for the Nation's atrocious spelling and grammar. It's almost as if some people think they deserve pity; that it's endearing.

As far as I'm concerned it's pathetic. I have just stopped getting the Breaking News alerts on my phone because they are so often incomprehensible.

From what I understand, they fired a load of sub-editors around the time of the relaunch, and the standards have dwindled since then. Sub-editors don't get paid a lot in Thailand, especially considering that they often have to do content editor and proofreaders jobs, too, but they are a pretty vital part of any publishing concern.

The Nation's decision to make cuts in this area is lamentable, but not unbelievable. The section heads and writers "probably" have a limited grasp of English at this level and what is acceptable to them would not be acceptable to most native speaking professionals - hence the need for experienced subs. And the advertisers - who pay everyone's wages - couldn't care less as long as they believe they are putting their budget into a widely circulated publication (not that The Nation is audited).

We're not talking about the odd typo or the occassional muddled grammar here: we're talking about consistently shoddy work.

At the end of the day, The Nation is a private business and they can manage their newspaper as they see fit. But it's a real pity they consider clear, intelligible, journalistic prose such a low priority. Ultimately, though, consumers tend to vote with their feet (eyes?).

And here the rant ends

I agree with your response and particularly your point that the shoddy grammar oftem makes the piece unintelligible or ambiguous. Therefore, one can honestly say that The Nation often fails to communicate. I disagree with Peace Blondie on that point

Congratulations to Thai Visa for nailing the partnership with the Nation.

Maybe the website can offer copy editing services to clean up the appalling writing found in their paper and website. The same goes for the Bangkok Post. Why can't these papers hire some competent editors to clean up what are otherwise decent newspapers? Readers can't go a day without seeing glaringly simple mistakes riddle throughout both papers and websites.

When you consider that the BBC a bastion of the English Language is constantly mis spelling stuff on it's news banners, and many letters to them always receive, "we are doing our best" don't be too hard on the Nation.

CNN and AlJazeerah seem flawless.

i think you mean its news

it's means it is

Ah ! Hoist on omy own petard

How many of us are perfectly fluent not only in our initial language (L1) but also in a second (L2)? Would we charge less than 500 baht an hour for perfect translation services? I am often mistaken, but in my opinion, it is so childish to criticize L2 speakers for not writing like an L1 English professor. One of the best Thai publications I've seen is free, thick and glossy: CityLife, in Chiang Mai. But I doubt they get their ads perfect (cannot bite the hands that feed them).

We have had enough fun. Class dismixed. Thread cloxed.