Would You Work For A Thai Newspaper?

dee123

Advertising pays most of a typical newspaper's budget, so there's a built-in conflict of interest in terms of reporting objectivity. Managing editors will claim otherwise of course.

I've worked for newspapers in several different countries, and the experience from one to the other differed relatively little. All practiced self-censorship to some degree. Certainly newspapers in some countries I've written for (Malaysia, Singaore and Mexico come to mind) enjoyed less press freedom that, say, the Post or The Nation.

At the end of the day, is there any vocation or profession that doesn't involve some degree of moral compromise? I doubt it :o

Advertising pays most of a typical newspaper's budget, so there's a built-in conflict of interest in terms of reporting objectivity. Managing editors will claim otherwise of course.

I've worked for newspapers in several different countries, and the experience from one to the other differed relatively little. All practiced self-censorship to some degree. Certainly newspapers in some countries I've written for (Malaysia, Singaore and Mexico come to mind) enjoyed less press freedom that, say, the Post or The Nation.

At the end of the day, is there any vocation or profession that doesn't involve some degree of moral compromise? I doubt it :o

Thailand is far more obsessive about certain issues.I would say in todays climate the most repressed nation on earth re; freedom of speech.

Edited by dee123

Thailand is far more obsessive about certain issues.I would say in todays climate the most repressed nation on earth.

Most repressed nation, haven't been to the middle east lately have you? ahhahaa learn to seperate sensationalism from fact and some people might take your posts more seriously mate.

i'd like to explain why mate but I'd either be arrested or at least kicked off TV. WWW.PRACHATAI.COM wiil explain all go there and we can talk buddy.

Thailand is far more obsessive about certain issues.I would say in todays climate the most repressed nation on earth.

Most repressed nation, haven't been to the middle east lately have you? ahhahaa learn to seperate sensationalism from fact and some people might take your posts more seriously mate.

maybe you should re-arrange your statement, if you are speaking about media freedom - well I have no thoughts on that really, but in general I find this country to be very open.

Try being gay in malaysia for example.

I would like to develop my argument but I could be arrested for doing so matey. :D

look here

quite honestly, i am not interested in furthering the debate as I am currently more interested in going for a beer in this repressed society I live in. :o have a nice long weekend.

I would like to develop my argument but I could be arrested for doing so matey. :D

look here

quite honestly, i am not interested in furthering the debate as I am currently more interested in going for a beer in this repressed society I live in. :o have a nice long weekend.

BYE BYE! :D

At the end of the day, is there any vocation or profession that doesn't involve some degree of moral compromise? I doubt it :D

So you already have your mind closed up, and it was a rhetorical question. Sorry I wasted time responding. :o

Edited by wayfarer108