If You Could Change Something From Your Home Country Or Thailand...

NewLifeNY

You're an idiot. If you think it would be better roads with western style driving flowed by road rage, then I wish for Thailand not to see morons like you.

I am not sure of the % of "western road rage".....but i am sure it cant be any higher than the 90+% "asian (thailand ,I am sure of other asian countries too) bad driving...aaahhh what i wouldnt give for some more road rage and less "look 4 ways before crossing a one way street" ......

I see this topic is off to a roaring start - well done RJT.

As for the question at hand. Thailand. Nothing. YOur country - just about everything but i digress.

Hmmm..."my country-just about everything"...now i could see that as a personal attack...some people might be very patriotic about their home land......but I will agree with you in some ways, Yes Americas reputation has gone down hill, and there is a lot of things that America stands for that I dont like..... but you cant tunn around and say "thailand. Nothing" now you are being just ignorant. :o

As for the question at hand. Thailand. Nothing. YOur country - just about everything but i digress.

Hmmm..."my country-just about everything"...now i could see that as a personal attack...some people might be very patriotic about their home land......but I will agree with you in some ways, Yes Americas reputation has gone down hill, and there is a lot of things that America stands for that I dont like..... but you cant tunn around and say "thailand. Nothing" now you are being just ignorant. :o

Ignorant no, sarcastic yes, but that's one thing I do like about you NY folk, great restaurants. :D

Ignorant no, sarcastic yes, but that's one thing I do like about you NY folk, great restaurants. :D

Yes Yes...I miss the food so much! :D

I would stop the blatant "I have light skin, I'm higher than you" against the hard working Isaan people. The overt prejudice is shocking. The US had it but it's so much less than even in the 1980's and in Bangkok it's acceptable and encouraged (hear parents teaching kids).

This is my number 1 problem...the mistreatment of the good Isaan people. I can't get my wife to make any business connections because they're busying nosing into her life asking where she gets the money for a cell phone, why is a poor Isaan girl (how does she have a right to or the means to) talk to a big company about exports (insinuating she's a prostitute; sometimes coming right out and saying they don't sell to hookers). She dresses conservatively and pays respects to elders bu the women still dish out this BS. It trickles from the government right on down.

Unfortunately there's no God in Thailand so beliefs are different (creating all equal)...just can't get over it, I guess.

Really angers me because she's the most respectful, kind hearted soul and even after people speak down to her, she wishes them good health and prosperity (then makes the call to me that she was unsuccessful because her status became more important than the company selling their goods and making money).

It's always with some local BKK Thai treating her this way. The women are so catty (and downright evil). It never ceases to shock me how overt the bigotry is and how no one gives them a black eye...they just smile, tolerate it and try to do what they can.

Edited by HYENA

I would stop the blatant "I have light skin, I'm higher than you" against the hard working Isaan people. The overt prejudice is shocking. The US had it but it's so much less than even in the 1980's and in Bangkok it's acceptable and encouraged (hear parents teaching kids).

This is my number 1 problem...the mistreatment of the good Isaan people. I can't get my wife to make any business connections because they're busying nosing into her life asking where she gets the money for a cell phone, why is a poor Isaan girl (how does she have a right to or the means to) talk to a big company about exports (insinuating she's a prostitute; sometimes coming right out and saying they don't sell to hookers). She dresses conservatively and pays respects to elders bu the women still dish out this BS. It trickles from the government right on down.

Unfortunately there's no God in Thailand so beliefs are different (creating all equal)...just can't get over it, I guess.

Really angers me because she's the most respectful, kind hearted soul and even after people speak down to her, she wishes them good health and prosperity (then makes the call to me that she was unsuccessful because her status became more important than the company selling their goods and making money).

It's always with some local BKK Thai treating her this way. The women are so catty (and downright evil). It never ceases to shock me how overt the bigotry is and how no one gives them a black eye...they just smile, tolerate it and try to do what they can.

Good post!

Yeah, the whole 'light skin' and snobbery is ridiculous, I despise it.

I'd say women are evil but it may infuriate some members so I'm just going to imply it. :o

One thing I could change about the UK?

Eliminate all Chavs.

One thing I could change about Thailand?

Probably entirely agree with the above.

- Shug

(Just realized I was a little bit of a hypocrite in my 'changes..')

Edited by ShugNorris

Wow! I had no idea that most of the Isaan people (or girls) were treated this way....that is so bad. Yeah, this should def change in Thailand. Sorry to hear that by the way.

Wow! I had no idea that most of the Isaan people (or girls) were treated this way....that is so bad. Yeah, this should def change in Thailand. Sorry to hear that by the way.

Gotta agree with the previous poster. If my wife goes to the market without me, she gets all sorts of questions/comments that her farange husband has left her to go back to the home country, that she isn't good enough to keep him, s*** like that. I've told her to consider the source, in every group there are some small-minded people who are jealous. Such is life. But she just smiles, makes some comment about my being at home helping her, fuel the jealousy lol...

Gotta agree with the previous poster. If my wife goes to the market without me, she gets all sorts of questions/comments that her farange husband has left her to go back to the home country, that she isn't good enough to keep him, s*** like that. I've told her to consider the source, in every group there are some small-minded people who are jealous. Such is life. But she just smiles, makes some comment about my being at home helping her, fuel the jealousy lol...

Definetly agree with a lot being said here(Hyena & Noahvail). What would I change.....

THAILAND ..Corrupt policeforce inc thier policies on driving standards.(is that 2 ? :o )

UK . Make it 'pay' to work and not sit on ones fat @rse's claiming benifits

Dave.

Definetly agree with a lot being said here(Hyena & Noahvail). What would I change.....

THAILAND ..Corrupt policeforce inc their policies on driving standards.(is that 2 ? :o )

Dave.

THAILAND ..Corrupt policeforce inc their policies on driving standards.(is that 2 ? :o )

Dave.

Thailand - bloody dogs barking at all hours. Fine the owners

UK - cheaper airfares so as when I have to visit family, it doesn't cost me the equivalent of a month's Thai wages :o

Agree with the Isaan/light skin/racist thing - pure BS.

Cheers,

Pikey.

• 2 weeks later...
Agree with the dogs barking at all hours in Thailand.

But back in the 5 boroughs, the Amazins' winning a world series, stopping NJ from crossing the Hudson at all hours hahaha. :wai:

dam_n Dogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and Cats sometimes too!...but he said "stopping NJ from crossing the Hudson!!!!!! :o:D:D:D:D

One of the most disagreeable traits about Australia is the amount of reverse snobbery present. If someone has more education that you, more money than you, bigger anything than you, then they are somehow automatically &^%heads and snobs. No hint of respect for people who have often gone without and worked their butts off to get ahead (after their parents did likewise). Discovered a cure for a disease? Must be $%^^ geek and a loser, etc ....

I can see where this trend comes from historically, but it just contributes to bringing everything down the lowest common denominator. The only exception to the above are sports 'stars'.

In Thailand I would like to see the reverse! Here if you are rich and have a name you can (and they often do) literally walk over people. And the common people think that's OK - it's the elite's right. It's like a license to cheat and steal, a do-not-go to jail card. I would like to instil the notion that with a higher station in life comes a higher responsibility to set an example, have some self-control, and work for the common good. Some real leadership.

Your wife shows remarkable restraint, all credit to her. (Group hug).

There is however a God in Thailand, it's called Baht.

My wife has also previously had to put with all kinds of inane questions, from people she's never met before, regarding her being married to a farang. With my encouragement, as soon as the bad mouthing starts, she fax 'em off, big style.

What is it with some people? They can't just live and let live. There does seem though, to be a hidden undercurrent of real resentment from ordinary Thais who feel the lighter skinned, chinese minority have way to much say and influence in the country.

Anyway good luck with your business, come the revolution it'll all change. :o

What would I change about my country? I'd go back to the 1950s and start again, almost everything that's changed since then has been for the worse.

And Thailand? An education system that gives the folks at the bottom of the pile a REAL chance in life, instead of keeping them down.

In the US, I wish we would actually use solar and wind energy and quit just talking about it.

In Thailand, I wish people would stop the pollution with civic and government leadership.

I agree! I think the efforts should focus on education not on criminalization. Show people why pollution is bad, show people why a car can be a lethal weapon, and ways to drive and walk safely. I dislike how the US has tried to legislate the lives of its citizens and believe education, albeit a much more difficult method, is a better alternative.