Are All Australians Eligible For New Zealand Citiz

This may be a stupid question or just one I have never been faced with. However it is in the application for sponsoring my wife to go to Oz. So, am I eligible? I thought all Aussies were, but it's wierd how this odd question pops up out of no where. Are you an eligible New Zealand citizen? tick NO go to next section, tick YES do the health and character section. ??? I'm thinking yes. Can anyone clarify???

Don't worry about it (assuming you are an Australian Citizen).

The question is relevant only for NZ citizens. 'Eligible NZ citizens' refers to all NZ citizens in Australia prior to the 26th of Feb 2002.

Prior to that date, all NZ'ers who landed in Australia were granted automantic permanent residency in Australia and for all intents and purposes were granted all the same rights as an Australian citizen (eg access to the dole, eligible to sponsor non-Aus/NZ family to come and live in Australia on a visa which will eventually lead to PR and then citizenship).

Following the 26/2/02, any NZ'er who landed in Australia, while being granted automatic work rights and unlimited time restrictions on stay under previous NZ-Australian treaties, were not classified as permanent residents, and hence not automatically 'eligible' to sponsor non-NZ family members on an indefinite basis.

Good thing too. Stopped them coming over and going straight on the dole before bringing the rest of the tribe accross to do the same thing.

Wouldn't want a classic NZ dole bludger bash to get in the way of the fact that the rate of unemployment amongst NZ'ers in Australia was always consistently lower than the average rate amongst Australians, and the fact that tax recepits paid out by working NZ'er in Australia was always more than enough to cover the dole payments of their fellow country men.

No, I beleive the real reason for the reforms was to prevent 3rd country nationals migrating to NZ first, which has a slightly easier migration points system than Australia, getting NZ citizenship, then moving to OZ and then bringing the rest of their family over from their home country using Australia's migration system.

NZ lost out because they never saw the benefits from that new migrant, and Australia lost out cause they had to foot the welfare bill for the 3rd country releative. Hence the reforms.

Good thing too. Stopped them coming over and going straight on the dole before bringing the rest of the tribe accross to do the same thing.

Wouldn't want a classic NZ dole bludger bash to get in the way of the fact that the rate of unemployment amongst NZ'ers in Australia was always consistently lower than the average rate amongst Australians, and the fact that tax recepits paid out by working NZ'er in Australia was always more than enough to cover the dole payments of their fellow country men.

No, I beleive the real reason for the reforms was to prevent 3rd country nationals migrating to NZ first, which has a slightly easier migration points system than Australia, getting NZ citizenship, then moving to OZ and then bringing the rest of their family over from their home country using Australia's migration system.

NZ lost out because they never saw the benefits from that new migrant, and Australia lost out cause they had to foot the welfare bill for the 3rd country releative. Hence the reforms.

you are right again Samran

remember at one stage NZ was the entry port to Oz for the pacific islanders, from memory that prompted passports being introduced

• 4 weeks later...
[Ok after reading all your replies. Yes it refers to NZ citizens, but which box do the ozzies pick. Yes or No.

Cheers

Having read Samran's reply I don't think the question is whether you are eligible for New Zealand citizenship but, rather, are you a New Zealander who is eligible to claim certain rights because they are deemed to have residency in Australia.

Scouse.