Organic Farming

Lickey

Hi all, yes, there is a new pinned topic mainly about organic farming/gardening, please add your coments for or against,

As an ex UK bloke, i will always remeber my dads garden, we had about 1/2 acre, with about 30 chickens, free range, in a wire netting enclosure, usually about 20 mtr sq, once the ground had been picked clean, dad would move the run and plant taters and veg there, i can still taste the taters now [no, not chicken shit flavour] they were really special,

When i banned herbicides on our farm, the mrs says WHY? i told her i want to see lush green weeds growing, that tells me that other things will grow as well, But i dont want snake to get you!!, i said dont worry about snakes, ive seen 5 in 2 years, and 1 i sort of made a friend with, he hisses at me, i hiss back and move towards him and he buggers off, i want to see nature, i want to hear the birds sing, i dont need to smell chemicals all the time,

So please post your organic ideas or stories on the pinned topic,

Thanks, Lickey,,

I wish I could find a way to do it comercialy.

Not that I think the Thai's would care much if the milk they drank (processd in food stuff or fresh) was organic or not, I think there are certainly plus points for the huge biodiversity we have in Thailand, and if not even for that - then just to get the abuse we have of chemicals in Thailand under control, or out the way!

BBC world service the other day: massive decline in organic food sales in the Uk since the so-called credit crunch - down something like 30%, and to top it off, there are now discussions about just how much different it is health wise for consumers. with the prevailing argument been that the evidance to date is showing very little additional benefit for consumers.

My milk leaves here well within all Thai health regs - what happes to it at the co-op and come processing, I often wonder because the milk you get in Foremost containers tastes nothing at all like the milk that leaves here.

I think the rampant use and abuse of agricultural chemicals in Thailand will come home to roost one day. Anything that can get it under control or stop it, has to be a good thing.

I wish I could find a way to do it comercialy.

Not that I think the Thai's would care much if the milk they drank (processd in food stuff or fresh) was organic or not, I think there are certainly plus points for the huge biodiversity we have in Thailand, and if not even for that - then just to get the abuse we have of chemicals in Thailand under control, or out the way!

BBC world service the other day: massive decline in organic food sales in the Uk since the so-called credit crunch - down something like 30%, and to top it off, there are now discussions about just how much different it is health wise for consumers. with the prevailing argument been that the evidance to date is showing very little additional benefit for consumers.

My milk leaves here well within all Thai health regs - what happes to it at the co-op and come processing, I often wonder because the milk you get in Foremost containers tastes nothing at all like the milk that leaves here.

I think the rampant use and abuse of agricultural chemicals in Thailand will come home to roost one day. Anything that can get it under control or stop it, has to be a good thing.

Well done with the new pin. I learned to drive on an old Cletrac track layer with my father on the hose of the spray rig in the back at an hour or two before sunrise to beat the wind and we never seemed to win and I remember him covered in the spray and also remember burying him at 50 years old and they almost having to do the same with me many years earlier as my heart just decided to flare up and burn and inflame and he's dead and I'm not his heart just shrivelled up and the pacemaker they put in was useless and they say they can't reaslly say what caused it but he was a great guy but never looked good with that dam_n poison just dripping off of him. The choice is everyone's so do as you see best. The cover crop of Paw tueng looks good out here in Buri Ram and we'll be turning it under in about another week or two so no more Chems on another small part of mother earth. Choke dee

Quite right MF, its the overuse and and abuse of chemicals that has moved the killing fields from Cambodia to Thailand, Sorry, bit stong but very true!!

My target point is to try to show thais [via falang farmers/gardeners] that you have to give back to the land something, you know yourself that only using fert will gradually knacker the soil,

I see many TV farmers are asking about green cover crops, and composting, I really think this is the way to go, im not opposed to using fert, but if the ground is good and cared for, it wont need so much, so there fore not eating into profits come cropping time.

Ive no doubt you know the old days in UK when every farmer had livestock and a huge muckheap, and when it rotted down it was put on fields via a muck spreader, then ploughed in, could you imagine that here in Thailand? No,its a lot easier and perhaps cheaper to spread excess Fert.

ForeverFord, sorry to hear about your old chap, but that is a hazard with herbicides and pesticides, it makes me wonder here when Thais want danger money for spraying, 300bht a day, even so, our labour never wore breathing masks or goggels, just shorts and t-shirts,

I also get the impression {im going to impress the falang boss] make this weedkiller stronger than the bottle says, ah ha, this will kill the weeds , yes it does, no problem, kills or stunts everything including contaminating the ground for a long time, I dont know when i can use the farm salad beds again, certainjy not till the weeds start to grow, and well done using a green cover crop, perhaps the local fish will have only the normal 2 eyes soon?Todayi removed every container with what i regard as a cide, that way i can keep an eye on things and costs, iii

Its been said before but i feel sorry for the falang who are farming from afar, oh darling, need more money for fert, this cide,that cide labour ect,

Lickey..

Quite right MF, its the overuse and and abuse of chemicals that has moved the killing fields from Cambodia to Thailand, Sorry, bit stong but very true!!

My target point is to try to show thais [via falang farmers/gardeners] that you have to give back to the land something, you know yourself that only using fert will gradually knacker the soil,

I see many TV farmers are asking about green cover crops, and composting, I really think this is the way to go, im not opposed to using fert, but if the ground is good and cared for, it wont need so much, so there fore not eating into profits come cropping time.

Ive no doubt you know the old days in UK when every farmer had livestock and a huge muckheap, and when it rotted down it was put on fields via a muck spreader, then ploughed in, could you imagine that here in Thailand? No,its a lot easier and perhaps cheaper to spread excess Fert.

ForeverFord, sorry to hear about your old chap, but that is a hazard with herbicides and pesticides, it makes me wonder here when Thais want danger money for spraying, 300bht a day, even so, our labour never wore breathing masks or goggels, just shorts and t-shirts,

I also get the impression {im going to impress the falang boss] make this weedkiller stronger than the bottle says, ah ha, this will kill the weeds , yes it does, no problem, kills or stunts everything including contaminating the ground for a long time, I dont know when i can use the farm salad beds again, certainjy not till the weeds start to grow, and well done using a green cover crop, perhaps the local fish will have only the normal 2 eyes soon?Todayi removed every container with what i regard as a cide, that way i can keep an eye on things and costs, iii

Its been said before but i feel sorry for the falang who are farming from afar, oh darling, need more money for fert, this cide,that cide labour ect,

Lickey..

MF,

I seem to remember in the past you mentioned you have a biogas digester.

I presume youre mainly filling it with cow shit.

When the gas production is finished, does the shit need further composting or drying before you use it on crops ?

Or can you just put it straight from the digester onto crops ?

Tamarind was mentioned as a useful tree for organic gardeners

Another is Kratin or Krathin, its become common in Thailand, grows easy & fast.

Here's a link for info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leucaena_leucocephala

• 2 weeks later...
MF,

I seem to remember in the past you mentioned you have a biogas digester.

I presume youre mainly filling it with cow shit.

When the gas production is finished, does the shit need further composting or drying before you use it on crops ?

Or can you just put it straight from the digester onto crops ?

Pond Life,

Bio

Can I offer a brief explanantion of my system in explanantion?

Most biodigesters are a continous system with the holding capacity dictating the processing time, that is 40 days of influent capacity , 40 days to exit of effluent.

These systems are usually anaerobic and the processing removes the pathogens, smell etc. while increasing the useful nitrogen content.

The one I plan is the Chinese domed chamber and includes an "exit" chamber for holding the spent or processed slurry. The gas pressure builds up in the dome, and pushes the slurry into this exit chamber. If all the gas is used then the slurry flows back into the digester. Near the top of this tank is an outflow through which the slurry exits the system and is channeled into a seperation filter with the solid fractions stay on the top of the sand (sun dried) and the liquid seeping through the sand and into a holding tank.

Hence you have two effluents, solid and liquid. The liquid is used directly as fertiliser and the solids as part of the worm bedding in a vermiculture setup. The worm castings are then used as fertiliser, or for other operations such as mushroom farming.

PM me if you would like details.

Isaanaussie

Correct Jandtaa,

Coppicing, cut the trunk down to 15 cm before the seeds mature.

This also forces the tree to produce more foliage.

The green seeds are tasty to.

agreed and pollarding, cut the trunk at 1 - 1.5 meters lovely tree !!

Hello!

Much respect and admiration to everyone involved in the growing and supporting of organic farming!

I am currently looking for large quantities of organic fruits and vegetables for a 2 year intensive health program.

I have battled much of my life with chronic lyme disease and I have decided to undertake an organic intensive juice plan to eradicate my illness. I will be consuming 10 fresh organic juices made fresh daily. I am following the gerson protocol located in mexico. gerson.org

I just acquired a home outside of chiang mai and a vehicle.

I will need about

40 Kg of organic carrot per week

20Kg of organic potato

20kg of organic apple (if possible)

20-30 Kg of all other organic fruits and vegetable

I would prefer delivery to my home in hang dong

any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

I know of jj makret for organic, but im looking for bulk and delivery.

I will be in chiang mai on march 7th and im lookin for RESULTS!