Busses Reliable?

dudeyone

I am thinking of staying further away from the BTS/MRT stations because it would be around 1500-2000 BHT cheaper each month. Would buses and stuff be easy to take and get around with? Never really been much of a bus guy.

I am like you. Here in the states I can count the number of times I have ridden a bus in my whole lifetime on one hand. I just don't do it. I drive or take a taxi. I live near Washington, D.C., and simply do not ride buses.

In Bangkok, I ride buses pretty much on a daily basis. Now, I am retired, so I'm not in a hurry, but there is a pretty-much constant flow of buses on significant streets...NOT ON MOST SOIS. I have gotten to know the city well enough that I don't plot out bus routes...I often just hop aboard a bus and head in the right direction...map in hand...and get off and on as needed. If I do feel lost I catch a taxi to complete my journey.

It sounds to me that the question you have to ask is how much is a little inconvenience worth. 2000 baht in a whole month doesn't seem like a lot of money to me, so for me, that alone would not help me make a decision.

it all depends WHERE you actually plan to stay. there are main thoroughfares which see a public bus passing every 10-30 seconds, going to almost anywhere within the city. those new yellow AC-Busses are VERY comfortable, whereas those green tiny non-AC sardine-cans can be a nuisance indeed.

the only problem is that they - unlike MRT, BTS - are part of the regular traffic, and as such, STUCK in it during the rush hours.

when going back home in the evening hours from downtown-areas, it can take me 2-3 hours to get to my place, so I usually opt for a taxi.

treat yourself a good Bus-Map (Bus Map of Bangkok, 5th edition, 50 Baht, at all SE-ED shops) and then find out which busses are available in the area you want to move to..... then maybe take a test-ride to find out if u can deal with it.....

Edited by siam2007