Want To Teach Martial Art

bangmatt

I have several years experience in practicing wing chun kung <deleted> and wish to share this fun and involving martial art with others. I am a member of the VTAA ving tsun atheletic association in Hong Kong.

I would like to teach this art to individuals or small groups. The problem is I do not know the process for starting a school or where to start finding the information.

Any tips would be welcome.

I assume you are talking about making money (ie. starting a business). If yes then the first tip would be to get this moved to the business/investment sub-forum. Meantime suggest you go there and start scrolling through the past few pages of threads. The last new thread from someone wanting to start a solo business was about guitar teaching I think (a few days ago), but there are plenty of earlier ones. You can also use the Thaivisa search function to find earlier stuff.

You need to research work permits (even if doing it as a volunteer) and also see what regulations are involved in starting a business. The Thai board of investment web site has plenty of documents you can download, but there is heaps of info out there ... try google and yahoo as well.

Thanks for all of the replies, even the sarcastic ones! I am looking to share this art with others not purely as a money making venture. Although some on the side would be a bonus.

As for Sabum it is not always quantity that counts but quality. If people have got the enthusiasm then ive got the time to teach some or be taught.! always willing

Ya same attitude the Thais have about certification and qualification, sure they are enthusiastic, doesnt mean they know what the heck they are doing.... honestly man, a few years practice is not enough. Do you have actual teaching experience? If you do is it fairly extensive? Do you have some form of instructor qualification you couldn't just buy? Even being good at a martial art doesn't mean you can teach it, teaching is a whole other world. Try to understand my attitude, every guy and his dog wants to be a martial arts instructor when they take and love whatever martial art they are in, its the reason the world is filled with so many crap schools.

I could train beginners in Southern Preying Mantis too, however I wouldn't, because I could only ever bring them up to my level and then they hit a dead end. My kids train in Taekwondo and when they are older I will show them some other ideas, but wont pretend I am teaching the style properly.

Never mattered what grade you practiced at with higher grades teaching, when the master started the corrections he was just light years ahead of everyone.

Intermediates can teach, but there will always be subtle or not so subtle mistakes in what you they are teaching. The master has to be available to correct those things before they become second nature.

Which is why most styles will only allow a very high grade open a subsidiary school. Several years isn't enough to open a school. I suspect your association also would not approve.