Protestors Blockade Laguna Phuket

george

I wonder how much the complaint process cost ??

Thai police.. The best police force money can buy. :o

in most countries disputes on private property are not in the jurisdiction of the police!!!!

this is Thailand!

That may be true but the road into Laguna is public. It leads to the beach and is the only vehicle access to the middle of Bang Tao beach from Cherng Telay. To the south, all the condo developers are busy blocking what little access remains to everyone .

Incidentally one of the workers who live in Cherng Telay tells me Laguna still shut down, Monday morning at 8 AM.

Might take a drive and see for myself

Considering the past troubles with hiring and retaining quality staff at the major hotels, the willingness of Laguna management to let the dispute to go this far suggests that the occupancy rates will continue to deteriorate and that staff can be shed. Correct me if I am wrong, but if employees are terminated for "illegal" behaviour with cause, then the severance pay provisions of the Labour code/Act do not apply. Getting rid of the workers this way saves the company some money, doesn't it?

geriatrickid, I think that you got that right. And who needs to keep greedy staff that are rebellious against their employers. I think the management have weeded out the trouble makers and made the necessary staff cutbacks in one feel swoop. :o

Syl

Spoken like a true establishmentarian .

The workers get half the money they are expecting, with no warning or explanation, and the company is doing fine so has no 'cause to jip them - I say good for them , good for all the Thais who strike , at least they do something.

If more ....... had stood up against what they knew to be wrong, instead of .................. the entire world would be in a better situation than it is now.

I tend to agree with HorseDoctor (minus the superfluous introductory comment). If it has been the habit of the company to provide a specific form or quantity of bonus for sufficient a period as to lead to a reasonable expectation, it seems harsh to label those who agitate for the 'tradition' to be followed as greedy or troublemakers. It would seem the problem may have, at least in part, stemmed from a failure of the company to properly communicate the reasons in a timely manner. Effectiveness of communications between employer and employee are often a yardstick of the professionalism of a company and the value it attaches to its workforce.

I tend to agree with HorseDoctor (minus the superfluous introductory comment). If it has been the habit of the company to provide a specific form or quantity of bonus for sufficient a period as to lead to a reasonable expectation, it seems harsh to label those who agitate for the 'tradition' to be followed as greedy or troublemakers. It would seem the problem may have, at least in part, stemmed from a failure of the company to properly communicate the reasons in a timely manner. Effectiveness of communications between employer and employee are often a yardstick of the professionalism of a company and the value it attaches to its workforce.

I heard today that all the Farlang staff recieved full bonus and a pay increase, not really surprised the local workers are p1##ed off.

Hi there, I have had to become a member today as this is simply not true and I wanted to respond. My other half works at Laguna and everyone, regardless of nationality, creed, age, years of service, performance was given two weeks bonus.

At the end of the day, people employed here in Thailand that still have jobs are very lucky considering the economic downturn that is causing millions of people around the world to lose their incomes and their homes.

The tourist/hotel industry has seen a huge decline in recent months after the airport closures. People have lost confidence in Thailand as a destination and now potential tourists will lose confidence in the largest private employer on Phuket. What I am saying is, we should not forget that although Laguna is a big company its mere presence on the island has generated thousands of jobs, smaller businesses that are in that area have benefited and if that company is persecuted just because its big and it is showing prudence by not giving large bonuses and preserving jobs then why would employees be this angry?

Seems stupid to me. Mob behaviour should never be condoned. The gangs were quite aggressive to Thai staff trying to enter and exit the resort over the weekend.

[quote name='jeab321' date='2009-02-09 10:32:36' post='2521124'

At the end of the day, people employed here in Thailand that still have jobs are very lucky considering the economic downturn that is causing millions of people around the world to lose their incomes and their homes.

The tourist/hotel industry has seen a huge decline in recent months after the airport closures. People have lost confidence in Thailand as a destination and now potential tourists will lose confidence in the largest private employer on Phuket. What I am saying is, we should not forget that although Laguna is a big company its mere presence on the island has generated thousands of jobs, smaller businesses that are in that area have benefited and if that company is persecuted just because its big and it is showing prudence by not giving large bonuses and preserving jobs then why would employees be this angry?

Seems stupid to me. Mob behaviour should never be condoned. The gangs were quite aggressive to Thai staff trying to enter and exit the resort over the weekend.

My thoughts exactly.

These are tough times. People that have jobs are lucky. It's not a time for demanding more money.

Hopefully this economic downturn will not last too long. When hotels are full again and jobs are plentiful, let them find peaceful ways to ask for a raise.

Edited by fiddlehead