David Beckham And Wife Upset Buddhist Monks In Koh Samui

victoria-beckham.jpg

Victoria and David Beckham

Buddists monks upset by Beckham's mozzie measures

David and Victoria Beckham have upset Buddhist monks in Thailand.

The monks are upset about a state-of-the-art mosquito exterminator installed at the couple’s recently renovated new home on the Thai island of Koh Samui.

The religious men – who believe all animals, no matter how small, are equal – have reportedly suggested the former Spice Girl and her soccer star husband find a non-harmful solution to the blood-sucking insects

A source told Britain’s Daily Star newspaper: “The Beckhams were very keen to keep the mosquitoes out because they can carry disease, as well as being annoying.

“But the last thing they want to do is annoy the locals, especially the monks who’ve been here hundreds of years, so they’ve got a real dilemma now.”

The Beckhams bought their three-storey hillside home on the island in 2007 for 4.5 million Euros [201,162,277 Thai Baht], but the full cost of the home after renovations is believed to be closer to 10 million Euros [447,027,282 Thai Baht].

The house is also partly environmentally friendly, utilising solar panels to create some of its electricity. It also boasts 360-degree views of the popular holiday island.

Former England soccer team manager Sven Goran Eriksson also has a home on the tropical island.

- The West Australian / 2009-02-07

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Beckhams bought their three-storey hillside home on the island in 2007 for 4.5 million Euros [201,162,277 Thai Baht], but the full cost of the home after renovations is believed to be closer to 10 million Euros [447,027,282 Thai Baht].

a fool and his money are soon parted .................

The house is also partly environmentally friendly,

doubt very much if a 500 million baht 3 story home on a hillside on a tropical island is going to be environmentally friendly.

“The Beckhams were very keen to keep the mosquitoes out because they can carry disease, as well as being annoying.

i hear that the mosquitoes would like to keep the beckhams out because they also can be annoying

victoria-beckham.jpg

Buddists monks upset by Beckham's mozzie measures

David and Victoria Beckham have upset Buddhist monks in Thailand.

The monks are upset about a state-of-the-art mosquito exterminator installed at the couple’s recently renovated new home on the Thai island of Koh Samui.

The religious men – who believe all animals, no matter how small, are equal – have reportedly suggested the former Spice Girl and her soccer star husband find a non-harmful solution to the blood-sucking insects

A source told Britain’s Daily Star newspaper: “The Beckhams were very keen to keep the mosquitoes out because they can carry disease, as well as being annoying.

“But the last thing they want to do is annoy the locals, especially the monks who’ve been here hundreds of years, so they’ve got a real dilemma now.”

The house is also partly environmentally friendly, utilising solar panels to create some of its electricity. It also boasts 360-degree views of the popular holiday island.

Former England soccer team manager Sven Goran Eriksson also has a home on the tropical island.

I cannot believe the foto of "The Beckhams" is anything more than a fake

Can you imagine ,with all their money, that they would be seen on a squalid bed in a poorly furnished room, anywhere

Irritating as they are ,he at least is good at his job , and dresses with flair;

Come on, I think this is a spoof.

Hahaha,what rubbish.You would have to get upset at just about every other Thai for swotting mozzies...My wife is as Buddhist as they come,still hates the <deleted> mozzies though. :D Personally i don't mind if they swat Beckham and dumb spice,never did like them. :o

what a load of rubbish.... every Thai in Thailand uses some kind of Mosquito repelant!!! .....

i think the monks are just jealous the beckhams havent donate one to there temple :o ....

The monks, poor sencitive dears. What a load of rubbish. Their indignation is a farce. Why do monks need to gain publicity (maybe they are just following the lead set by Thai ploice, army, politicians). Aren't there enough real social problems they can wrap there minds around in Thailand. Don't they have some amulets they need to manufacture to money spin from the gullible (mainly poor). Never mind about all the animals including insects Thais kill on a regular basis. What is the real motivation behind these kinds of "beat-ups" some Thais (in this case monks) have on westeners? Looking for sympathy? Those terrible westeners, see how disrespectful they are. What does this sort of rubbish gain them.

And no, I am not a fan of the Beckhams. Just want to high-light the silliness of it.

Edited by barky

I find that very hard to believe. Although it is wrong to kill anything according to Buddhism Thai monks shop at Lotus, have mobile phones and notebook computers, watch DVD's, handle money etc. which are all also not very Buddhist (I am a former monk from China of 10 years we didn't even have running water, electric or modern heat). In any event I got quite ill at Wat Suandok when they were smoking the mosquitoes twice actually and the abbot nor the monks had anything to say about it.

Can you imagine ,with all their money, that they would be seen on a squalid bed in a poorly furnished room, anywhere

Irritating as they are ,he at least is good at his job , and dresses with flair;

Um, Wellington, it's called a stock photo. Probably from a fashion shoot of the Beckhams. I'm sure the author doesn't expect the readers to think that this is a photo of the two in the bedroom of their 400+ million THB playhouse. But they fooled you, so I guess anything is possible. Maybe they need some sort of disclaimer for people like you.

Actually, is "Infinity" completed?

one of the only projects on Samui that is in progress and construction is on time :o

it is due for completion Aug/Sept, with phase 1 nearly fully complete....

it is a refreshing change to see a whole project on track for completion with no hic ups or money going missing

Um, Wellington, it's called a stock photo. Probably from a fashion shoot of the Beckhams. I'm sure the author doesn't expect the readers to think that this is a photo of the two in the bedroom of their 400+ million THB playhouse. But they fooled you, so I guess anything is possible. Maybe they need some sort of disclaimer for people like you.

No it didn't fool me

It's a fake foto

Actually, is "Infinity" completed?

one of the only projects on Samui that is in progress and construction is on time :o

it is due for completion Aug/Sept, with phase 1 nearly fully complete....

it is a refreshing change to see a whole project on track for completion with no hic ups or money going missing

Good news, indeed...

Nice project as well.

victoria-beckham.jpg

The photo is real and is by famed photographer Juergen Teller.

http://gossip.about.com/od/celebrityfashio..._Marc_Jacob.htm

The setting, I believe, is NOT their Half Billion Baht Samui residence, but I can't say for sure it is not

Can you imagine ,with all their money, that they would be seen on a squalid bed in a poorly furnished room

as mentioned previously, the picture will just be some promotion shot. :o

I've nothing against beckham but that bint 'posh' does my head in. posh? she's as posh as a mars bar supper.

the UK tabloids had this monk/mosquito story yesterday - mountain & mole-hill springs to mind.

And here is a picture of the Beckham's "Little Hideaway" on the Ban Tai hills:

full_beckham02_wenn2275159.jpg

Photo and article on Bitten & Bound

I was expecting something a little bit bigger for the money they paid....it must have gold plated flooring and toilets or something?

Sure old Becks has been overcharged, has he??

:o:D:D Normal Farang rip offs ie overcharging on tuk tuk ride - 100 baht

Becks n posh rip off - 100 million baht :D:D:wai:

There are hundred of thousands of people starving in the world & then there are the super rich......why did we reward these two idiots with so much money.

I couldnt really give a dam_n about these types of people, hes a great football player, he should go and play some more football.....that wife of his, she was just pathetic.....how did she manage to earn millions?

Sorry, I'm bound to upset a few, my point is, who on earth needs to waste so much money when so much good could be done with it.

Is it not possible to go somewhere these days without having these superglamorous morons jammed down your throat....angelina in the north brad and whatshername in koh samui....next we'll have michael jackson dangling his kid out a window in Bkk or Britney being wheeled around patong in a straight jacket.

:o

Edited by neverdie

There are hundred of thousands of people starving in the world & then there are the super rich......why did we reward these two idiots with so much money.

I couldnt really give a dam_n about these types of people, hes a great football player, he should go and play some more football.....that wife of his, she was just pathetic.....how did she manage to earn millions?

Sorry, I'm bound to upset a few, my point is, who on earth needs to waste so much money when so much good could be done with it.

Is it not possible to go somewhere these days without having these superglamorous morons jammed down your throat....angelina in the north brad and whatshername in koh samui....next we'll have michael jackson dangling his kid out a window in Bkk or Britney being wheeled around patong in a straight jacket.

:D

Or,ahem...Chasing the local boys.... :o

stripped

Load of bs, they don't even have 360 degree view of their small hill, not to talk about whole Samui (see the hills behind them). Nice view of Phangan, but not a killer view (return to topic).

And I thought farangs couldn't own property in Thailand..?

What do you reckon ? ... Dodgy Thai limited company or 30 yr lease ?.... Or maybe he has it in his 'mia noi's' name ? :o

I'd love to know the answer...