Buying Trekking Gear

femi fan

Most of the better shoe stores in the malls should have what you are looking for. But, you WILL pay as much as the same item in North America or Europe. However, as far as good quality packs are concerned I think you are out of luck. I've NEVER seen a good quality pack in ANY of the outlets in Thailand. Maybe there is some place in Bangkok, but I doubt it. The main failing with all the packs I see here is they go stingy on the straps. The thin little straps quickly start digging into your shoulder.The good quality packs might be MADE in Asian factories, but you can't find them here. They are made specifically for export and none seem to stay, or arrive, in this country.

In the export outlet in Airport Plaza. (I'm sorry can't remember floor number but it's very close to the top of an escalator in the old original section of the mall - 2nd or third floor)

I bought 2 good packs there (they sell mostly /only clothing) that have held together while other purchases in Chiang Mai have fallen to bits. They are larger than day packs but not huge size packs. Sorry can't remember brand.

There is also a camping outdoor shop on top floor close to Robinson. For those that don't like the hard floors while camping air filled mattresses available in Robinson itself (near the sportswear).

I cant help you with specific stores, but because I have 15 minutes to spare I can bore you with the following based on my experiences of gear.

If you know what you are looking for then the "no Name" packs ( and in 90% of the cases of trekking boots) can be as good as the "name" stuff. I do quite a lot of high altitude climbing and mountaineering and A LOT of the so called "name " stuff is pretty average these days too. I would say 85% of the worlds gear comes out of third world factories now and a lot of these places are also churning out the "no name" stuff on the same production runs when they have finshed doing the "name gear" production run. I have just done some climbing the Caucusus's in Southern Russia and we were out and about for nearly 4 weeks and up to 5600 mtrs high and very very little of our gear was "name" apart from our high altitude technical boots and the durability of the gear was great. Last year I went to 5500 metres on Aconcagua in a pair of "no name" sneakers before it was time to switch to the plastic boots to head up to the top at around 7000. If it wasnt so cold then it would have been the "no names" all the way. I am not anti "name gear" by any means and have more "badged gear" in my toy room than is probably acceptable and sane, but more and more I am seeing crap stuff that is being sold as being good becuse it has a certain badge on it.

If you are not going to be heading into really extreme stuff ( say above 5000mtrs and below -5 degrees celcius) and are just planning to hike in the boots then I would just go with whatever mid cut trekking boots feel good and just "beef em up" with some proprietory waterproofing coating. Just remember to break them in cause no matter what name is on the label if they aint broken in they aint going to be comfortable. With the pack I would just buy one that feels good and comfortable for you and then "beef it up" by getting the stress points triple stitched and maybe have the zippers changed for good quality YKK ones. Both of these things could be done easily by any tailor in CM with an industrial strength machine. You will end up with a pack that is easily as strong as 90% of the "name ones" ( Gregory probably being the exception but hey if you using one of those puppies then you really are in some serious enviroment or you are WAY over prepared) and for about 1/5 of the price.

I see so many people out there on the road and in particular in SE Asia who are WAY overgeared. The beauty of the third world is when the thing has had its day you just go down the markets and buy another one for $20 to replace it.

Gawd that is it. Sorry to take up so much bandwidth.

Hey, thanks for the replies and some great information to get myself started. My needs are for maybe a ten day trek in nepal, but not the mountaineering kind, just trekking.

I've often suspected non-brand names are just as good as brands, but wasn't too keen on discovering i was wrong half way into a trek!

I don't even plan to be camping as such, just resting my bones in the lodges on the way.

I was probably planning to get some packs while in kathmandu.

If you are going trekking in Nepal, you can buy every single piece of whatever you need in Katmandhu. There are many shops selling local made trekking gear, plus a fair amount of second hand stuff, including ex mountain expedition equipment.. All comparitively cheap.

I took my favourite name brand trekking shirt and trousers had numerous copies made at a fraction of the cost of the origonals.

After a number of visits i just used to leave my gear in a Katmandhu hotel and pick it up the next time i went. Travel light with a day pack and no luggage lost on flight.

Many trekkers are over equipped and carry too much. Half way through my first trek around the Annapurna Circuit iIhad to dump unnecessary gear as i was so knackered from excess weight. Since that time i would do most treks in trainers and a day pack.

Nepal trekking is a fantastic experience, Have a great time OP

If you are going trekking in Nepal, you can buy every single piece of whatever you need in Katmandhu. There are many shops selling local made trekking gear, plus a fair amount of second hand stuff, including ex mountain expedition equipment.. All comparitively cheap.

I took my favourite name brand trekking shirt and trousers had numerous copies made at a fraction of the cost of the origonals.

After a number of visits i just used to leave my gear in a Katmandhu hotel and pick it up the next time i went. Travel light with a day pack and no luggage lost on flight.

Many trekkers are over equipped and carry too much. Half way through my first trek around the Annapurna Circuit iIhad to dump unnecessary gear as i was so knackered from excess weight. Since that time i would do most treks in trainers and a day pack.

Nepal trekking is a fantastic experience, Have a great time OP

I plan on having that great time! In fact, i'm getting alarmingly excited at the prospect. I was aware that i can buy everything in kathmandu, but if i was to get some decent trekking boots, i know that they need wearing in, hence my idea of buying them here and walking up and down doi suthep a few times!

I also definitely plan on being as light as possible, especially as i have my camera gear.

I won't be able to do the whole annapurna circuit, but one idea was to trek to the annapurna base camp and the sanctuary. In your experience are you able to estimate how many days to get there and back to pokhara? I keep reading about ten days, but it's never clear if that's one way or a round trip. Furthermore i won't want to do things quickly, if i find a nice lodge with spectacular views on the way, i will happily stay the extra night.

My other possible trek at the moment is fly to jomson then trek back. I'm particularly keen to be walking through the rhodedendron forests i've heard about which will be in full bloom in april.

Anything you have to say about your treks will be very happily read!