Crashed The Suzuki ..............

Chivas

Yesterday I had the misfortune to crash lightly the Suzuki I was riding after making the very stupid decision to try and avoid a dog rather than hitting the stupid mutt.

Fortunately I had seen the event in slow motion and when I actually came off was at very low speed and able to throw the bike one way whilst rolling the other.

I was lucky enough just to have a small cut on the knee and no scrapes at all.

This happened in full view of I guess 15-20 Thais at the market.

What happened next totally astounded me but really should not be surprised.Am still on the ground but just checking my legs and arms for any breaks etc and the whole lot of em just stood there gawping and standing and gawping etc.

Not one of them gave me a hand up or tried to stop the bike which was in 1st gear and still running.

In the end Ive got up after 20 seconds or so and let fly with a few expletives at them sincerely thanking them for their help.

Apon returning home the wife gave the usual stupid Thai response of "Not my/their business"

She considered they would not help entirely because I could have blamed any "helper" as the reason I came off the bike despite the obvious fact it was solely down to a dog.

This time I was lucky-just what would have happened if a leg had been broken or worse ??

It has seriously made me rethink my future here and I dont say that lightly.

<snip>.

Chivas

Edited by soundman
Removed extremely negative view of Thai people in general.

Same happened to me in much more serious circumstances.

Firstly, they are scared of being blamed and the consequences of that.

Secondly, Thai culture and educational system places great emphasis on obedience and very little on initiative. If a 'leader' had been present in the gawkers he could have instructed someone to help but otherwise the rest will 'wait' to be told what to do and probably do nothing. This is Thai culture.

I was with a falang that hit his front brakes too hard & down he went.

About 6 people ran to his aid, and one of them spoke English... I guess he would have been considered the leader in this situation.

Honestly, maybe because there is a language barrier (or they believed their would be) they felt helpless at the moment.

But I would not be the first to say Thais function on a lot of logic or have the ability to think beyond 13-15 seconds.

Chivas, Firstly, glad your okay....theres so many dam_n mutts here its only a matter of time for all of us to hit one, im sure.

I don't understand people not helping others. Just being someones culture doesnt quite gel with me & I understand you questioning ur existence here....I'd hate to be really in need & just have people gawking.

Not so long ago, I watched an old thai lady struggling with a couple of shopping bags on a very busy street. There was people everywhere & it was quite obvious that she was having a problem in the middle of the road. I crossed to her position & helped her with a the bags (one which had ripped) and I assisted her across the road....she was very greatful & it took no effort. A group of thai guys nearby commenced making smart comments and laughing.....a fantastic reflection on their mentality. Its not that difficult is it?

Anyway the human race is really the pits! If they had an emoticon for the bird I would use it here!

To the mod who removed ballpoint's post, well done! :o

I think ballpoint needs to spend some time in a re-education camp. :D

--------------------

I can empathise with the OP.

Came off the back of a moto-taxi years ago, backwards and severely winded.

Looked up and was surrounded by a dozen Thais, all smiling.

No one even offered a hand to help me up.

I've never forgotten it.

To the mod who removed ballpoint's post, well done! :o

I think ballpoint needs to spend some time in a re-education camp. :D

--------------------

I can empathise with the OP.

Came off the back of a moto-taxi years ago, backwards and severely winded.

Looked up and was surrounded by a dozen Thais, all smiling.

No one even offered a hand to help me up.

I've never forgotten it.

And you'll also find that the reason for my post being removed has been snipped from the original one. I don't find it clever to make generalisations about Thai behaviour or mental ability, something all too common on these pages.

i think if things were more serious (glad you came out OK) , serious eg blood everywhere etc, Thais would have done something.

they saw you were OK , and thought u can handle the situation . its always nice though if someone asks if you are OK after a minor accident

During many years of riding, I have learned that you never know which way the dog is going to go. If you see that you may hit a dog, slow down as much as possible BUT, if you see you are probably going to hit it, get off the brakes and hold as straight a line as possible. No dog is worth serious injury or maybe even death. I like dogs too but not enough to endanger my life.

a dog decided to casually cross the road when I was riding straight at it about 15kph , i saw it a mile away, I maintained speed and direction , i really thought it would jump out of the way, it didnt, i clipped it over the head pretty hard then it had a rest on the side of the road . I felt bad for a few days but i just got sick of endangering myself to avoid stupid dogs .

Edited by mc2

I cut my leg badly on a side road on Doi Inthanon, alone. As soon as I showed a Thai park ranger, I got full first aid, ride to hospital. When I hit and killed that dog at Mae Taeng, I got cared for ASAP. When I got rear-ended last July, the driver did not stop, but everybody else did. They would not let me stand up, we waited for the ambulance, and they helped me climb up to the road. When the tuk tuk cut across the lane in Chiang Mai and ran off, a young man ran up to help me. Overall, other than the hit-and-run drivers, Thais are helpful, in my experience.

I cut my leg badly on a side road on Doi Inthanon, alone. As soon as I showed a Thai park ranger, I got full first aid, ride to hospital. When I hit and killed that dog at Mae Taeng, I got cared for ASAP. When I got rear-ended last July, the driver did not stop, but everybody else did. They would not let me stand up, we waited for the ambulance, and they helped me climb up to the road. When the tuk tuk cut across the lane in Chiang Mai and ran off, a young man ran up to help me. Overall, other than the hit-and-run drivers, Thais are helpful, in my experience.

If I were you, I would buy a car.

If I were you, I would buy a car.

:o

You get bystander apathy everywhere and Thailand is better than most countries in my opinion - with the exception of BKK, Phuket, Samui and Pattaya!!

I've had several experiences that have been the complete opposite, I came off my bike, my fault going to fast and saw a speed bump too late I tipped the bike over by braking to hard with the front brake and slid my way down the road. Within 30 seconds the elderly couple who owned the shop I had the misfortune to land outside of had picked me up and were rubbing some kind of balm into my fresh grazes. They gave me a coke a couple of cigarettes and made sure I stayed sat down as I was a little shaken. They were absolutely lovely and I doubt I would have gotten the same response in the UK.

It should also not be forgotten that bike accidents happen ALL OF TIME in Thailand you ever meet a Thai without some kind of bike related scar?!!

Just yesterday I saw a guy meet and greet the front end of a pickup with his bike, he was doing approx 40 kph so not that slow!! He simply got up picked up the change that had scattered all over the road and went on his way. So Thais are bit more casual about something that would freak out most westerners.

You'll get crappy days here as well mate, just remember that a bad day in Thailand is better than most good days back home so keep your chin up!!!! :o

Not really on topic, but perhaps relevant. A while back my gf and I were driving on a motorbike and we saw a Thai man driving a motorbike right in front of us take a turn too tightly and fall off his bike, end over end. He was hurt pretty badly so I immediately hit the brakes to stop and help him, but my gf kept poking me in the side and telling me "not stop, you go, you go." I was a boy scout in the USA and was appalled to learn that helping someone is not recommended in this situation.

Later I found out that if I stopped to help him, I might be expected to pay for his injuries, and maybe take him to the hospital and who knows what else, just because I was farang and they assume I have the money to help him. Still, not helping out another human being in need is just contrary to the way I was raised.

Edited by rideswings

Had a motorcycle accident once in BKK with a broken leg. Bystanders moved me into a Tuk Tuk. It was hel_l. The question is, if improper help after an accident results to more injuries than from the actual accident.

Couldn't agree more. I had my wife put transfer lettering on my helmet that says in Thai, "If I've been in an accident do not remove helmet."

I dunno if it will work, hope I never have to find out.

I think most Thais will understand if you run over a dog instead of crash. When my GF got her motorbike license there was a great deal of discussion on this very topic. Apparently one of the questions addressed this very situation and the correct answer is to run the dog over instead of dumping the bike.

In Cambodia on the road to Sihanoukville from Phnom Penh I had the misfortune to run over a dog at highspeed. It was either that or I would have seriously injured myself or possibly died. Luckily I was on a larger off-road bike and the shocks absorbed the impact pretty well. Something I will never forget and feel horrible about, but it at least I'm still alive and well.

She considered they would not help entirely because I could have blamed any "helper" as the reason I came off the bike despite the obvious fact it was solely down to a dog.

The scary thing is, i'm pretty sure the entire population, or at least vast majority of it, actually think like this...

Not really on topic, but perhaps relevant. A while back my gf and I were driving on a motorbike and we saw a Thai man driving a motorbike right in front of us take a turn too tightly and fall off his bike, end over end. He was hurt pretty badly so I immediately hit the brakes to stop and help him, but my gf kept poking me in the side and telling me "not stop, you go, you go." Later I found out that if I stopped to help him, I might be expected to pay for his injuries, and maybe take him to the hospital and who knows what else, just because I was farang and they assume I have the money to help him. I was a boy scout in the USA and was appalled by this behavior...

I only just helped a thai couple that crashed off their bike last week, it happened about 100 metres in front of me, they were both still laying on the road when we arrived. We helped them until the Ambulances arrived, 3 of them turned up from no-where within minutes, at which time I smiled and left the area. My thai gf also helped & despite that irregardless of what someone expected, it wasnt going to happen (that is me paying for their treatment).

Its a sad world when we drive around or step over others who have just had something bad happen to them without helping, afterall it may only be a case of helping them to lift up their bike & move to the edge of the roadway or calling for help.

wow 3rd worlders being dumb.. this is a shocker.

You moved here, dont expect initiative or any logic. When you get such thing just be grateful.

Sorry but that is utter utter utter bollacks.

Its called very simple common sense CM-Be grateful my backside.

To Soundman who edited the OP I respect your position, but the word I used was the most mildest I could have used!! (Am sure you privately agree)

Chivas

Same happened to me in much more serious circumstances.

Firstly, they are scared of being blamed and the consequences of that.

Secondly, Thai culture and educational system places great emphasis on obedience and very little on initiative. If a 'leader' had been present in the gawkers he could have instructed someone to help but otherwise the rest will 'wait' to be told what to do and probably do nothing. This is Thai culture.

I'd say Briggsy summed it up quite well. I've had Thai people that couldn't do enough for me (no money expected) and others that acted as if I were invisible.

The longer I stay here, the less I understand the place...