I'm Not Fat

garro

My method for losing weight is not for everyone, and it might even be dangerous for some people. The funny thing is that I didn't even set out to lose it. I made life changes for different reasons but the weight loss was a nice side-effect. I was sometimes a bit worried about my weight though; nobody would take much notice of it the west (85kg at 5 foot eight), but in Thailand my students would make the occasional 'pom puey' remark.

The secret to my weight loss was a change to an almost vegan diet, and at least a forty minutes work-out on the Nintendo Wii every day. I had previously been vegetarian in my twenties, but worried about doing the same in Thailand. My wish to not eat meat is a personal one and nothing really to do with health. It was something always nagging me in the back of my mind, and so I did it anyway and was delighted to find that it is easy being vegetarian in Thailand. I even went a step further and try and avoid diary as well. I feel comfortable with this being a permanent change.

The Nintendo Wii was because I just wanted to be fit again. I have a young son, and even though I am still in my thirties I found it hard to keep up with him. I found Wii Fit to be the perfect solution. I now really feel the benefit of this and the fact that I know have loads of energy to do lots of other activities.

The outcome of these two changes is that I now weigh 75 kg, and feel younger than I have in years. My belly is gone. I don't miss my old diet, and I have no wish to return to my previous couch potato lifestyle.

As I said this won't work for everyone, but I just thought that I would share my experience.

Edited by garro

I was sometimes a bit worried about my weight though; nobody would take much notice of it the west (85kg at 5 foot eight), but in Thailand my students would make the occasional 'pom puey' remark.

The secret to my weight loss was a change to an almost vegan diet, and at least a forty minutes work-out on the Nintendo Wii every day. I had previously been vegetarian in my twenties, but worried about doing the same in Thailand. My wish to not eat meat is a personal one and nothing really to do with health.

I'm 5'10" and a tad over 85kg. My body is in proportion and I certainly don't consider myself overweight. Maybe you had a bit of a pot belly that attracted comments from your students.

As you are still in your thirties you should be able to cut out all meat from your daily diet without noticing any side effects. You will however, need to ensure that your body receives all its nutrient needs from eating only vegetarian.

I doubt that the Nintendo Wii had much to do with your sudden weight loss and in this regard I'd be careful that your body weight doesn't continue to slide at such a fast pace. Sudden changes to ones diet should be planned carefully.

Edited by Mighty Mouse

I was sometimes a bit worried about my weight though; nobody would take much notice of it the west (85kg at 5 foot eight), but in Thailand my students would make the occasional 'pom puey' remark.

The secret to my weight loss was a change to an almost vegan diet, and at least a forty minutes work-out on the Nintendo Wii every day. I had previously been vegetarian in my twenties, but worried about doing the same in Thailand. My wish to not eat meat is a personal one and nothing really to do with health.

I'm 5'10" and a tad over 85kg. My body is in proportion and I certainly don't consider myself overweight. Maybe you had a bit of a pot belly that attracted comments from your students.

As you are still in your thirties you should be able to cut out all meat from your daily diet without noticing any side effects. You will however, need to ensure that your body receives all its nutrient needs from eating only vegetarian.

I doubt that the Nintendo Wii had much to do with your sudden weight loss and in this regard I'd be careful that your body weight doesn't continue to slide at such a fast pace. Sudden changes to ones diet should be planned carefully.

Weight doesnt always tell the full story, someone can be heavy but not fat if they work out a lot and have a lot of muscle.

What a great story. Being a vegetarian is easy specially here in Thailand. Yes the life style saves you money but it is way healthier for you if done correctly and the animals sure do like it.:o Cutting out daily is a good thing also.

I had a friend which is very intelligent buy hot dogs from 7/11 yesterday on our CM bicycle ride. I shook my head in disbelieve watching him eat that poison. "Friends don't let friends eat meat" was a bummer sticker I had on my car back home. It did not work Sunday though. Congratulations on you weight release.

What a great story. Being a vegetarian is easy specially here in Thailand. Yes the life style saves you money but it is way healthier for you if done correctly and the animals sure do like it.:o Cutting out daily is a good thing also.

I had a friend which is very intelligent buy hot dogs from 7/11 yesterday on our CM bicycle ride. I shook my head in disbelieve watching him eat that poison. "Friends don't let friends eat meat" was a bummer sticker I had on my car back home. It did not work Sunday though. Congratulations on you weight release.

You sound like a religious fanatic... but then a vergetarian fanatic. Let ppl do what they want dont judge them. If someone likes to eat meat let him.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

congrats. I prefer to eat vegetarian and vegan but am not 100% vegetarian. I was before but now work in a hotel and i just cant say no to salmon and sea bass..etc

Can you recommend a cook book? Where are you getting your meal ideas? It is not so easy to find such great vegan ingredients in LOS...

Thanks!

• 3 months later...