High Strength Contact Lenses

stevet

i have been to all the usual optical outets in the north of thailand - they kinda giggle when they see a high + lens prescription, say they can order, make call but can never get any strong contact lenses. I'm +8.5 and 9.5, tried ordering from the Uk but they will not sell to me without a new test at one of their branches - anybody have any err - contacts here?

my left eye is -8.5 as well (but since my right eye is only -5.75 they advise me to wear -8.0 just to balance out a bit). i have never had any problem finding either one, but maybe it is the + that makes a difference? try Rutnin eye hospital at Asoke. you usually will have to make an appointment.

i have been to all the usual optical outets in the north of thailand - they kinda giggle when they see a high + lens prescription, say they can order, make call but can never get any strong contact lenses. I'm +8.5 and 9.5, tried ordering from the Uk but they will not sell to me without a new test at one of their branches - anybody have any err - contacts here?

Yep! But not strong / high in the sense of focusing strength (+ x.xx), which I presume you mean by 'strong/high' right?

All UK branches are under the 'eye test above all else' umbrella, they want your cash and don't want any independent contact lens dealers to start up. I recall a big hoo-haa when they became available on Ebay in the uk and the contact lens moguls got a bee in their bonnet :o

I have x2 - +1.25s. Get them anywhere in LOS.

Keep looking!

Washington Optical Tel. (02) 256 - 9021, or 9022. Sorry, no fax # on the business card which I have.

If you can not make yourself understood on the telephone, send me a Private Mail here with the particulars of what you need. I work nearby, and could go in there for you.

Yeah, it's not easy to get lenses like this in Thailand, I have +8.5 by myself :-( so I know what you are talking about. About 6 month ago I went to Eyelab at the Avenue Shopping Center on 2nd road Pattaya and got 2 pair of glasses within 3 days and with thin lenses, not ones that look like bulllet proofed glass :o I think their phone number is 038 723 960, maybe you can give it a try?

Yeah, it's not easy to get lenses like this in Thailand, I have +8.5 by myself :-( so I know what you are talking about. About 6 month ago I went to Eyelab at the Avenue Shopping Center on 2nd road Pattaya and got 2 pair of glasses within 3 days and with thin lenses, not ones that look like bulllet proofed glass :o I think their phone number is 038 723 960, maybe you can give it a try?

will give them a call - thanks, and maybe try malaysia too

they can only do 1 year jobs - unhealthy, and say i would need to try them first - as may not fit farang eyes, and prescription is close'ish. may have to look at alternatives

If you are referring here to Washington Optical, they provide me with monthly lenses, which they special order from whatever factory they normally do business with. However, I do not know the limits of their technology, i.e. how strong a prescription they can manufacture in the soft lens, 1 month of use, format.

As I said before, if you think that making an in-person enquiry might help, I don't mind doing that for you.

My ex used to have those kind, they were pretty strong, he was going to Bangkok hospital, and from there they will ask for them to Australia. Is not that expensive as its sounds. (I don't remember how much tho). So, no they don't have them here, but they can ask for them in other countries.

Umm, will try calling the phuket place first - i spoke to washington opt, they have only 1 year lenses, which i really dont want - 5000TB a pair, but they say i must go there and try the fit first. maybe have to look outside somehow, but found very little online

I had the same problem. I had to wear glasses for the longest time because I couldn't find anywhere that had my prescription. I ended up getting contacts ordered from "1-800-CONTACTS" in the US. They require a prescription from a doctor only from people inside the US. As long as you give the name of a hospital and doctor then they will ship to Thailand without a prescription from a doctor. It didn't take long to get them either, however you will have to pay VAT on them, except it isn't very expensive from what I recall.

i found v siam optical online, mailed them - they say they can order, but have yet to confirm.

1-800 contacts, mailed them - they say can do, but need all sorts of details re-eyes, am trying to get this info from my optician in the uk, will keep you informed

Wow you're even more long sighted than me (about 7.5 in both)..

I have never found disposables over +6 anywhere, but had no trouble having reusables made up.

Would be a struggle to find anyone who would do laser surgery, but they would offer the internal contact lenses..