Time Getting Wife To Usa

Once your marriage is registered at local Ampur, how long

does it take to get a visa for her to go to the USA as an

immigrant ? Typical or min/max timeframe range.

I am a US citizen living in Thailand now for 9 months with

a 1yr retirement visa extension.

Is there a quicker way ?

Is as a Non immigrant better ?

Thank you.

Once your marriage is registered at local Ampur, how long

does it take to get a visa for her to go to the USA as an

immigrant ?  Typical or min/max timeframe range.

I am a US citizen living in Thailand now for 9 months with

a 1yr retirement visa extension.

Is there a quicker way ? 

Is as a Non immigrant better ?

Thank you.

From this page: Spouse and Fiance(e) of an American Citizen, it states "You must have a domicile (residence) in the United States before we can issue an immigrant visa to your spouse. This is because a U.S. domicile is required to file an Affidavit of Support, Form I-864, and this form is required for all Spouse of a U.S. Citizen (IR-1) immigration cases." for the IR1 or CR1 Immigrant Visa. But it does not say that for the K-3 visa. The Non-Immigrant K-3 visa is like a Fiance visa for a spouse. Meaning, they will give her a visa to enter the States, then while she is in the States, they will process her greencard. I'm not sure of the Bangkok Embassy processes K-3 visas.

[From this page: Spouse and Fiance(e) of an American Citizen, it states "You must have a domicile (residence) in the United States before we can issue an immigrant visa to your spouse. This is because a U.S. domicile is required to file an Affidavit of Support, Form I-864, and this form is required for all Spouse of a U.S. Citizen (IR-1) immigration cases." for the IR1 or CR1 Immigrant Visa. But it does not say that for the K-3 visa. The Non-Immigrant K-3 visa is like a Fiance visa for a spouse. Meaning, they will give her a visa to enter the States, then while she is in the States, they will process her greencard. I'm not sure of the Bangkok Embassy processes K-3 visas.

If you are US citizen resident in Thailand you can apply directly to the BCIS office in Bangkok and get approval here. I understand this takes considerably less time then doing it from the US. I have read another forum of an individual that got Immigrant visas for his adopted children in a couple of months through this method.

I suggest you give them a call and ask them.

TH

If you are US citizen resident in Thailand you can apply directly to the BCIS office in Bangkok and get approval here. I understand this takes considerably less time then doing it from the US. I have read another forum of an individual that got Immigrant visas for his adopted children in a couple of months through this method.

I suggest you give them a call and ask them.

TH

Hi thaihome,

My American wife and I wish to move to the States this August. We are concerned about the complexity of the whole process and are not sure should we use immigration lawyer's services or file the pettition ourself.

Thank you

Golf

We need more info.

Your wife is a US citizen ?

You are Thai ?

I think a registered Thai marriage can get you there in 6-12 months, maybe sooner.

And an Imm lawyer knows the ropes, so a consultation is in order to get you on the path that suits your specific detailed needs/objectives.

Golf

We need more info.

Your wife is a US citizen ?

You are Thai ?

I think a registered Thai marriage can get you there in 6-12 months, maybe sooner.

And an Imm lawyer knows the ropes, so a consultation is in order to get you on the path that suits your specific detailed needs/objectives.

Dear paulfr,

Yes, my wife is a U.S. citizen and I am Thai. We have a registered Thai marriage certificate. My wife is living in Thailand for 4 years and has clean passport. As the lawyer told us, she can file the pettition at the Homeland Security office in Bkk, so the process is much faster.

I also set up a new topic regarding my questions under: Visas and migration to other countries > Thai Husband And American Wife. There is more details about us.

Thank you so much

I am a US Citizen living in the States; I married my wife in January 04; filed a I-130 first then a K-3 second (march 04); We just had our interview for the K3.

My suggestion is to contact the advice of a pro. I should have hired someone to deal with all the red tape. It is very consuming and you don't know if you did it right until the USCIS mails you back months later telling you that something is wrong.

I met this guy Brian at the US Embassy last week then went to his office and discussed some issue's; His business name is "My Thai Fiance". He did not charge me for a consultation and was very imformative.

Search for him on the web or I know he runs an ad in the Bangkok Post.

Good Luck!

Hi all:

Thank you for your info! We decided to go with the pro, the lawyer we've been talking last year. In the States, I used to let my boss filed my H1-Bs many time by herself. They went through ok, but the last one wasn't. After 9/11, everything've changed drastically. So I was denied :o

Just last question, my wife and I are about to make an appointment with this lawyer. When we call him, he said he would charge us 100% of his services up front. I am not quite sure that this is usual or not. Any one knows how these lawyers charge their customers?

Thanks!

Just last question, my wife and I are about to make an appointment with this lawyer. When we call him, he said he would charge us 100% of his services up front.  I am not quite sure that this is usual or not.  Any one knows how these lawyers charge their customers?

I would not pay 100% up front unless I was sure it was the only

way with all lawyers. I'd go with 50% upfront after the consultation

and 50% just prior to completion and satisfaction.

Of course if this is a Thai lawyer, US business protocol may not

apply.

Definitely dont pay up front, we are going through a lawyer now and they set up a payment plan (we only had to put 10,000b down). The plan is very flexible; we dont have to have 100% paid until before the visa interview date. Definitely make sure they have some connections to lawyers in the states, my firm has thai and american lawyers working at their firm in Bangkok.

It took us 11 months from marriage to home with a K3 visa .

She has been here almost 2 years and still waiting for stamp for green card

Good luck

A neighborhood lady just left for the USA... it took her the same 11 months to get her interview and approval.... GOSH that's a long time for the husband to wait alone in the USA. :o

and yes, they DID use an attorney.... didn't seem to make any difference in speeding things up.

Edited by sriracha john

It took us 11 months from marriage to home with a K3 visa .

She has been here almost 2 years and still waiting for stamp for green card

Good luck

A neighborhood lady just left for the USA... it took her the same 11 months to get her interview and approval.... GOSH that's a long time for the husband to wait alone in the USA. :o

and yes, they DID use an attorney.... didn't seem to make any difference in speeding things up.

I'm not sure why people think using an attorney would significantly speed things up. AFAIK, they only fill the paperwork out for you. They certainly don't have any connections that would allow them to get expedited processing. About the only way they can speed things up is to make sure you don't screw up filling out the paperwork and maybe they know some tricks that can help you move things along.

Definitely make sure they have some connections to lawyers in the states, my firm has thai and american lawyers working at their firm in Bangkok.

Occupations prohibited for foreigners:

Legal or lawsuit services.

There are less than a handful of lawyers allowed to practice in Thailand and they were grandfathers in long ago AFAIK.

Definitely make sure they have some connections to lawyers in the states, my firm has thai and american lawyers working at their firm in Bangkok.

There are less than a handful of lawyers allowed to practice in Thailand and they were grandfathers in long ago AFAIK.

They have connections with lawyers in the states who are not actually employed by them.

They have connections with lawyers in the states who are not actually employed by them.

and you believe that these stateside US lawyers are knowledgable about the intracies of Thai law ?

and you believe that these stateside US lawyers are knowledgable about the intracies of Thai law ?

And why would these stateside lawyers need to know anything about Thai Law on a case concerning immigration to the US?

In your haste to make some sh**y comment, did you forget the topic of the thread?

TH

actually, it makes no difference if they are "connected" or not. She'll still wait her 10-12 months. The neighborhood lady's husband had congressional interest in the delay (a very senior congressman who i daresay carries infinitely more weight than some immigration lawyer might).... and bottom line was there was nothing he could do; it was in INS hands and they take their sweet time.

In no way do i think it will speed up the process other then the fact that me and my wife are a 6 hour flight apart and with my job i wont see her for another 4-6 months. ALso, it makes her feel better and they can explain things to her alot easier in her own language. My life is full of enough stress over here in the military to worry about filling out paperwork correctly, sending it to her, her sending it back, then me sending it to the states and wonder if there were any mistakes. People who get these lawyers for the sole purpose to speed it up are usually going to take the same amount of time as those who dont, unless there are other circumstances involved.

If those factors you mention are worth the expense, then hat's off to you. Just glad you understand that it rarely affects their processing times. Guess the military's salary must have improved greatly since I was in as I know these lawyers don't come cheap.

:o

not really, but i will be receiving benefit pay in the near future when the paperwork goes through,

FYI, i will keep the board posted on our process and let you know how we make out