Uk Tourist Or Family Visa For The Wife

Sorry If this has been asked a million times before but were about to fill out some application forms and im not sure if we should apply for a tourist visa Vaf1A or a family Visa Vaf1B. My wife and I have been married for two and a half years and we have a 2 year old son. We went back to the UK for a month in October 07 but I don't remember having a choice for a tourist or family visa. Were going back for 4 weeks so we can spend some time with our family back home whilst my son is off nursery.

Im sure we went for a tourist visa last time.

Thanks

Jared

Im going for the family visa, need to fill this out tonight.

Im thinking the family one is correct as the checklist all of the documents needed is called.

Spouse/Partner of British Citizen (Based in Thailand) going to the UK for a visit (Family Visit)-check list

• 4 months later...

Extract from the Entry Clearance Guidance published on the UK Visas website:

"VAT2.4 What is a family visitor?

The same as for a visitor. Under the Immigration Appeals (Family Visitor) Regulations 2003, a family visitor is defined as:

the applicant's spouse, father, mother, son, daughter, grandfather, grandmother, grandson, granddaughter, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, nephew, niece or first cousin (NB: "first cousin" means, in relation to a person, the son or daughter of his uncle or aunt);

the father, mother, brother or sister of the applicant's spouse;

the spouse of the applicant's son or daughter;

the applicant's stepfather, stepmother, stepson, stepdaughter, stepbrother or stepsister; or

a person with whom the applicant has lived as a member of an unmarried couple for at least two of the three years before the day on which his application for entry clearance was made.

In addition:

Children adopted under an adoption order recognised in UK law are treated as if they are the natural children of the adoptive parents; and,

The Immigration Appeals (Family Visitor) Regulations 2003 pre-date The Civil Partnership Act (2004). Civil partners are considered “a member of the applicant’s family” in the same way as a spouse for the purposes of the Family Visitor Regulations.

ECOs should not seek documentary evidence of a claimed relationship unless there are strong grounds to doubt it (such as a disparity in age that makes the relationship biologically unlikely)."

So an applicant going with her UK husband to visit his parents is a family visitor.