Foreign Affairs Ministry To Open Branch In Phuket

george

Foreign Affairs Ministry to open branch in Phuket

PHUKET: -- Foreign visitors to the region and local expat residents will soon be able to take advantage of a local branch of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to be established at Phuket Provincial Hall.

Phuket Governor Preecha Ruangjan told the Gazette on January 30 that he had received confirmation that day to go ahead with plans to establish the Foreign Affairs center, which will offer services similar to those provided at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs offices in Bangkok.

“The new Foreign Affairs branch should be up and running within three months,” said Governor Preecha. “There is no need to undertake any construction to house the new center as it will be established in existing rooms at Provincial Hall. However, it will take a while to set up the offices with furniture and equipment, including computers that will be directly linked to the ministry’s central offices in Bangkok,” he added.

Governor Preecha said that the center is a much-needed addition to the province as the number of annual visitors continues to increase.

“Phuket is recognized as one of the world’s top holiday destinations. The new center will help bring the island up to date in the eyes of foreigners,” he said.

Representatives from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs headquarters in Bangkok will be heading to Phuket to train local staff on a number of ministerial procedures. However, Governor Preecha was unable to confirm exactly when the center would be fully operational.

Once up and running, the center will be ‘online’ with the ministry’s offices in Bangkok.

“This will enable foreigners to carry out ministry-related procedures and process documents in Phuket without having to go to the ministry’s offices in Bangkok,” he said.

Governor Preecha explained that the center will also be a venue for holding training seminars for businesses and individuals involved in the tourist industry.

“It will be a place where we can learn more about the cultures of different nationalities in order to help us better serve the variety of foreign visitors that make up the tourist sector,” he said.

The range of services available at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs typically includes consular affairs, such as the arrangement of visas and travel documents for Thai nationals, verification procedures for processing marriages between foreigners and Thai nationals, advice and authorization of naturalization procedures, and legal advice.

-- Phuket Gazette 2009-02-09

Makes no difference if you are a Brit, as the Brit embassy does not register marriages in Thailand. At least what they tell me !! They only offer to hold your original Thai marriage papers, as far as I can see.

You have to register your marriage with your consulate department in order that they recognize it. But only if you intend to make an application visa for your wife or husband to gain entry into your own country

Syl.

Makes no difference if you are a Brit, as the Brit embassy does not register marriages in Thailand. At least what they tell me !! They only offer to hold your original Thai marriage papers, as far as I can see.

You have to register your marriage with your consulate department in order that they recognize it. But only if you intend to make an application visa for your wife or husband to gain entry into your own country

Syl.

Nope ... not true. I've read the Brit Embassy in Thailand rules and actually emailed to head of consular services. They perform no marriages or issue no certificate. That seems strange to me, all they do is keep you original Thai marriage certificate in the UK. If you know more the tell me as I would like to register my Thai marriage with the UK.

Syl.

Nope ... not true. I've read the Brit Embassy in Thailand rules and actually emailed to head of consular services. They perform no marriages or issue no certificate. That seems strange to me, all they do is keep you original Thai marriage certificate in the UK. If you know more the tell me as I would like to register my Thai marriage with the UK.

I was talking about getting the marriage recognized by your own country.

Syl

Syl

Hate to be tedious ... but they issue no papers, so in my opinion it's a complete waste of time and I have no intention of handing over my ORIGINAL Thai marriage certificate to go into storage in the UK. I would really like some UK member to tell me otherwise.

for the un-informed what types of services are these? examples anyone?

I've only used that department in Bangkok to certify English to Thai document translations. They don't actually do the translation, only certify.

so this might be useful for say, registering births abroad, or verifying power of attorney and other official docs?

"go ahead with plans to establish the Foreign Affairs center, which will offer services similar to those provided at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs offices in Bangkok."

for the un-informed what types of services are these? examples anyone?

Dont they issue Thai passports and the like ??

I cant see how an MFA here makes a substantial impact for farangs at all.. For Thais sure but how many farangs have completed the naturalization processes (and then are 'thai anyway') !!

Seems like an ass backwards headline to me..

so this might be useful for say, registering births abroad, or verifying power of attorney and other official docs?

Ummm... don't think they register any of the above, only certify translations for the above, for use by Thai courts and/or Thai government offices. Main function of this office will be useful to Thais only, issuing passports. The hype about 'helping Thais obtain visas etc' is just nonsense, it's other countries embassies in Thailand that do that.

But it will help foreigners get their paperwork certified in order to marry Thai nationals... (and put more foreign money into the Thai economy.. :o )

Edited by LivinginKata

Syl

Hate to be tedious ... but they issue no papers, so in my opinion it's a complete waste of time and I have no intention of handing over my ORIGINAL Thai marriage certificate to go into storage in the UK. I would really like some UK member to tell me otherwise.

He/she must show that:

you are legally married to each other or have registered a civil partnership;

you are going to live together permanently as man and wife, or as civil partners;

you have met each other;

you can support yourselves and any dependants without help from public funds;

you have adequate accommodation where you and your dependants can live without help from public funds; and

he/she is aged 21or over.

Syl

He/she must show that:

you are going to live together permanently as man and wife, or as civil partners;

you have met each other;

you have adequate accommodation where you and your dependants can live without help from public funds; and

Ok, thought 1 ... you said you were not replying to Thai Visa anymore. Ahhhh bliss,

Thought 2 ... since you are still here ... where did you find those statements, and how does that refer to UK embassy in Thailand policy about being married in Thailand ... refer me to some official UK embassy site, thank you.

Syl

He/she must show that:

you have met each other;

Ok, thought 1 ... you said you were not replying to Thai Visa anymore. Ahhhh bliss,

Thought 2 ... since you are still here ... where did you find those statements, and how does that refer to UK embassy in Thailand policy about being married in Thailand ... refer me to some official UK embassy site, thank you.

I will PM you the link.

Edited by Syl

FWIW I seem to remember that when I went through the marriage process 11 or so years ago the embassy told me when I went to pick up the "certificate of not being already married" or whatever it was called that if I wanted our marriage here to be recorded or acknowledged in the UK then I should go back after finishing the amphur stuff and they would do it.

I couldn't really see any point in doing that and since I have no plans to reside in the UK again I didn't bother. It hasn't been any sort of a hindrance in getting visas for my wife over the years on our infrequent trips to Blighty.

Perhaps Syl is referring to that 'service' of the embassy?

Syl.

Sorry I should have said reside/ settle, not gain.

FWIW I seem to remember that when I went through the marriage process 11 or so years ago the embassy told me when I went to pick up the "certificate of not being already married" or whatever it was called that if I wanted our marriage here to be recorded or acknowledged in the UK then I should go back after finishing the amphur stuff and they would do it.

I couldn't really see any point in doing that and since I have no plans to reside in the UK again I didn't bother. It hasn't been any sort of a hindrance in getting visas for my wife over the years on our infrequent trips to Blighty.

Sorry, off the subject, but I did not know that a nickname for England is "Blighty" I looked it up:

"Blighty Definition: U.K. Britain: England or Great Britain ( slang dated humorous )

[Early 20th century. < Hindi bilāyatī "foreign, European," originally used by British soldiers in India for "home"]"

Would this be like people living in Thailand today referring to home as "Farangland"?

Thank you Slackula. I was referring to the British Embassies Consulate Section. It was more then 12 years ago when I was there last, it used to be upstairs from the Embassies Visa Section.

I had to get the marriage registered in order to make a visa application for my wife for indefinite leave to remain in the UK.

So because some members of this forum have never been through this process, I would thought that their comments are a tat unjust. And shows their ignorance and attempts in provocking attacks on them, in order to break forum rules and get them banned in the process, for past threads posted that caused them some offence for whatever reason.

Syl.

Sorry, off the subject, but I did not know that a nickname for England is "Blighty" I looked it up:

"Blighty Definition: U.K. Britain: England or Great Britain ( slang dated humorous )

You will be from the colonies then :o

[Early 20th century. < Hindi bilāyatī "foreign, European," originally used by British soldiers in India for "home"]"

Would this be like people living in Thailand today referring to home as "Farangland"?