Racquetball

girlx

does anyone know of a gym or fitness center in BKK which has racquetball courts? i would like to play (or just go slam the ball against the wall repeatedly which is good enough for me :o ).... also, is squash the same as racquetball?

Slightly different layout, size, and rules. The two main differences are that you can't kill the ball in squash, and racquetball is better. I've been wondering about where to play myself, other than hotels. Hotels might not be bad for the odd game here and there.

Here is the only place I could find that isn't a hotel. A bit pricey to just play racquetball, though they have lots more to do, and it appears they have a daily fee on top of the annual membership fee.

Soi Klang Racquet Club on Sukhumvit Soi 49 (down past Samitivej Hospital)

http://www.rqclub.com/

This place might know more if you give them a call

Thailand Racquetball Federation

226, Banampawan Sriayuthaya Rd

Dusit, Bangkok 10300 THAILAND

tel: 02-281-1045

Edited by surface

does anyone know of a gym or fitness center in BKK which has racquetball courts? i would like to play (or just go slam the ball against the wall repeatedly which is good enough for me :o ).... also, is squash the same as racquetball?

The ball is the big difference to me. There is very little bounce in a sq. ball vs a raq. ball. Consequently, you do a lot more runing while playing raq ball.

The ball is the big difference to me. There is very little bounce in a sq. ball vs a raq. ball. Consequently, you do a lot more runing while playing raq ball.

Perhaps it also has to do with short racquets?

Perhaps it also has to do with short racquets?

Nah, the high pressure balls moves really fast. Used to play racquetball for many years everyday. Had a killer serve, low - just across the line and over 100mph. Had to wear head and wrist bands due to the amount of sweat generated. Nothing worse then doing the splits on a wet spot on the floor chasing after the ball. :o

As example of how fast one has to move, a friend of mine went hard after a ball and rammed into the wall with a "crack". Yep, broken collar bone - not the first time someone did that at the courts.

Anyway, big differences between squash and racquetball. Squash looks like a slowed down version of racquetball, also different rules and line markings on the court.

I found this on a google search:

Thailand Racquetball Federation

226, Banampawan Sriayuthaya Rd

Dusit, Bangkok 10300 THAILAND

tel: +66-2-281-10 45

fax: +66-2-280-37 58

Soi Klang Racquet Club:

This popular club has tennis, squash, badminton, and racquetball courts as well as swimming pools, saunas, and gym. 6,8 Amara 3, Sukhumvit 49/9, Klongton Nua, Wattana, Bangkok 10110, Tel: 02 714 7200, Fax: 02 391 7980

(this is too far from me unless i move apartments next month)

The Olympic Club:

Fitness classes, swimming pool, badminton, basketball, squash and tennis. Open Monday to Friday 06:00-22:00 and Saturday and Sunday 07:00-21:00. Pathumwan Princess Hotel, 444 8/F MBK Center, Phayathai Road, Wangmai, Pathum Wan, Bangkok 10330. Tel: 02 216 3700 Fax: 02 216 3700

(this is quite near to me but i have never played squash)

I would be up for taking squash lessons, if anyone feels like giving them. I don't really even know how to play racquetball, I just find it very therapeutic to see how long I can keep the ball going against the wall.... great stress reliever. :o

Not too sure I agree about squash being slower than raquet ball. When you watch the pros play on TV I grant you it does look slow, but the reality is, they are fast.

Soi Klang does have a racket ball court, along with squash, badminton, and tennis. It's a racket club after all so you would kinda hope it has. Got most things in fact including 2 nice pools, gym, snooker, table tennis, internet, blah blah blah. Doesn't have a decent restaurant from what I recall. In a nut shell, I think it's good value.

Raquetball is an easier sport, and beginners can have a pretty fun game.  The ball bounces much better, so it is in play more. And a player can recover from a complete whiff to hit the ball on the bounce-back. The court is simpler, too, with fewer rules.

Squash can be much more physical. The ball is much "deader" than a raquetball ball, and so it does not bounce so much.  It usually takes a higher level of competence to have an exciting squash match. 

I enjoy squash and have played at the sports club at theh Riverine Place condos, but I enjoy raquetball more.

hmm i like the bounciness, and for awhile I studied the geometry of the court so that I could hit the racquetball every time and keep it going for an hour, though it has been awhile... so i still would prefer to learn the actual game of racquetball... might just have to move closer to Soi Klang.

Raquetball is an easier sport, and beginners can have a pretty fun game. The ball bounces much better, so it is in play more. And a player can recover from a complete whiff to hit the ball on the bounce-back. The court is simpler, too, with fewer rules.

Squash can be much more physical. The ball is much "deader" than a raquetball ball, and so it does not bounce so much. It usually takes a higher level of competence to have an exciting squash match.

I enjoy squash and have played at the sports club at theh Riverine Place condos, but I enjoy raquetball more.

bonobo,

Agree 100%, and I am thrilled to learn there is raquetball in BKK - squash is OK, but I much prefer R-ball.

• 3 months later...

I am an avid raquetballer- but have found a slight problem: where to find a raquet in the kingdom? i found a kids tennis raquet that looks like it might work with some wrist area adjustments. If anyone needs a partner, I am most definitely interested in it (and NOT squash-...yet)

aside: hey bonobo- I am also a bonobo fan- i study primatology, social psych and other soc. sciences...if you're interested, im up on myspace as "Team Bonobo-a-Go-Go" at myspace dot com slash _tko_ ; also I lived for a decade+ in sweet ole SD. i still stream fm949 while at work :)