Paying Tax In Thailand

Hi,

I've been employed in Thailand since May 2008 as a Teacher but my wages are paid directly into my bank account each month with no deductions. I remember reading that you don't start to pay tax here until you have been working 18-24months, can someone clarify this for me please and, if possible, give me an idea of the % I will have to pay when I do start.

Thanks in advance.

I remember reading that you don't start to pay tax here until you have been working 18-24months, can someone clarify this for me please and, if possible, give me an idea of the % I will have to pay when I do start.

Thanks in advance.

Well thats completely wrong, you start paying tax at the end of your first months employment.

On the %.....no idea as you dont give your salary...but am guessing you are on about 30k -50k month...so suggest around 5-6%...

You shouldnt have to be concerned about this, as the school should take it off you as a matter of course...I am assuming here you are registered for tax in Thailand and also assume you have a WP...if you dont have a WP, you will not be registered for tax...hence the school will not be taking tax off you..because you are working illegally..

I remember reading that you don't start to pay tax here until you have been working 18-24months, can someone clarify this for me please and, if possible, give me an idea of the % I will have to pay when I do start.

Thanks in advance.

Well thats completely wrong, you start paying tax at the end of your first months employment.

On the %.....no idea as you dont give your salary...but am guessing you are on about 30k -50k month...so suggest around 5-6%...

You shouldnt have to be concerned about this, as the school should take it off you as a matter of course...I am assuming here you are registered for tax in Thailand and also assume you have a WP...if you dont have a WP, you will not be registered for tax...hence the school will not be taking tax off you..because you are working illegally..

Thanks, yes I do have a WP and am in the process of having a tax# allocated but the school is dealing with that. I'm sure I have read on Thaivisa that you are exempt from paying tax your 1st year if you don't work the full year but maybe I misread it.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks, yes I do have a WP and am in the process of having a tax# allocated but the school is dealing with that. I'm sure I have read on Thaivisa that you are exempt from paying tax your 1st year if you don't work the full year but maybe I misread it.

Sorry mate....think you mis-read something, you pay tax in Thailand (as in other countries) from day one, there is no exemption for the first year...

What the OP may have read, and misunderstood, is that if you work less than a year you may not have made enough to owe any taxes for that year.

You are still required to file. The tax receipt they give you, even if it's for 0 taxes owed, is what immigration will want to see when you go for a visa extension.