Study Into Student Behaviour

markg

I teach a particularly badly behaved M4 class.

Very low motivation (in all subjects), disgraceful behaviour, and unsurprisingly, low language learning skills.

I have, however, noticed that if i give them a word-search to do, they will do it in COMPLETE and utter silence. It's quite remarkable. However, if i then get them to use this newly found vocabulary in any oral or written work, then the class quickly descends into its normal chaotic self.

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

Research papers i have been reading often (unsurprisingly) say we should play to students' skills and not highlight their deficits.

What does the use of word searches tell me? It would appear to tell me that the students are happy doing only what they KNOW they are able to do. The vocabulary in the word search is largely irrelevant. It could be football players from the 1960's for example, but the kids will studiously and silently complete the task. It's quite eerie, as i certainly do not expect to teach in a silent classroom. I dont ask them to be silent. They just are!

Has anyone else noticed this? What i would like to do is to build upon this finding, and incorporate other tasks that the kids will complete in a studious manner, which will hopefully lead to an increase in English confidence. I am still searching for other ideas though.

Comments?

I'm just guessing here, but doing an incomprehensible task in total silence may very well be what they have been trained to do by their Thai teachers since they were in Anuban 1. :o

I have noticed that when I try to use the normal communicative methods that we were taught in our TEFL courses, the students have a hard time distinguishing 'interactive conversation' from 'free time'. :D However, when I hand out a worksheet that is within their abilities, they generally set right to it.

I have noticed this as well. It occurs to me that most students here (Thailand) are more comfortable with writing short phrases and words than speaking. Perhaps because they make too many mistakes are more often than not corrected over and over that they almost give up. Considering M4s are adolescents, there's a likely possibility that they're at home being in charge of what they know and working on their own. Word-search and puzzles are their favourites. Perhaps they're fed up with the foreign teacher at the front speaking words they barely understand?

Yes, i'd not considered that the handing out of a work sheet is actually what they are used to, and what they are expecting.

Good point.

I personally dont like overdoing the work sheets. I tend to only use them to concept check. The reason being that the students tend to lose work sheets, whilst they generally tend to not lose their notebooks. (Notebooks miraculously get found when i mention that the homeroom teacher will be informed!)

I rarely use word searches with M4 kids. If i do, it might be to introduce new vocabulary. However when i try to incorporate that vocab into a communicative phase of the lesson, it all goes to rat sh1t.

As a research test, i might give them a word search with a number of English village names on it. Words that they couldnt reasonably have seen. If they find them, it shows some sort of recognition. If they can sound the names out, then their phonics is ok. So why wont the buggars speak. Or do anything else quietly?

I suggest that you avoid workshits, because you are not a Thai teacher. If they can find words, they just might learn to speak them. Say it twice, then have the entire class say it twice. Then the front row only, twice. Then each row, or each column say it (walk around, of course). Not just one word, but a short sentence. Mark writes on the whiteboard. Then Pongsakorn writes on the whiteboard. Have Pongsakorn go up and write it on the whiteboard. Etc.

But Markg, I think you knew this and just forgot. That naughty class will rattle our cages, eh?

The problem is that you are probably accessing pattern-finding skills without really building any English skills- even the dullest of them can find and match strings of letters. Sadly, that's often the best one can do with certain groups- I know how it can be in the lower-ranked classes.

I would try to get them working on VERY simple role plays where they can ham it up.

PB - no, i've not forgotten drilling. I used to be the drill king! Speed drilling, shouting drills, quiet drills, boys v girls, left side v right side, front v back, slow drilling, Thinglish v English drills (v. funny!!) etc etc.

This class of M4 horrors wont drill though and it all becomes painful !

IJWT - i like the idea of a simple role play where they ham it up. That very well could work.

Now that i'm aware of it, i can always keep word searches in my emergency bag - for when the school assessor comes and i want to quieten the class down !

IJWT - you mentioned that they are accessing pattern-finding skills. I agree with you. Somehow, even though they have never seen the word, they just 'know' it's an English word. I will research this a bit more.

My gut feeling is that they are not confident in their English use. They have been told they are bad students by the thai teachers. No surprise then that they are not confident. I'm working on building that confidence up. The key to it in my view is to NOT correct oral English, merely repeat the phrase correctly and immediately move on.

I'm currently just starting to write a research paper on Affective Teaching v Cognitive Teaching methods. It will be a 9 month research project. The idea is that you use what is of interest to the kids personally in your teaching methods as opposed to what the book says you should teach them.

So..........expect a role play with katoeys, motorbikes, online games, ganja, hip-hop and alcohol in it shortly!

Great! I'd love to read your research. :o

Seems like problem has its roots in low self-esteem than a disinterest in English. Work on their self-esteem by giving them tasks like you said, are of interest to them. They would tend to do better on them if they're motivated or interested to do them. I had a M3 class do a series on music using pop/rock songs which I played in class. Used that to introduce adjectives and adverbs, etc.

Yes, i'd not considered that the handing out of a work sheet is actually what they are used to, and what they are expecting.

Good point.

I personally dont like overdoing the work sheets. I tend to only use them to concept check. The reason being that the students tend to lose work sheets, whilst they generally tend to not lose their notebooks. (Notebooks miraculously get found when i mention that the homeroom teacher will be informed!)

I rarely use word searches with M4 kids. If i do, it might be to introduce new vocabulary. However when i try to incorporate that vocab into a communicative phase of the lesson, it all goes to rat sh1t.

As a research test, i might give them a word search with a number of English village names on it. Words that they couldnt reasonably have seen. If they find them, it shows some sort of recognition. If they can sound the names out, then their phonics is ok. So why wont the buggars speak. Or do anything else quietly?

just an idea. with worksheets they are in control and are not losing face. speaking means making mistakes in front of their peers and thus losing face.

The problem is that you are probably accessing pattern-finding skills without really building any English skills- even the dullest of them can find and match strings of letters. Sadly, that's often the best one can do with certain groups- I know how it can be in the lower-ranked classes.

I would try to get them working on VERY simple role plays where they can ham it up.

try to relate to them and encourage them. you don't have to get them to "ham" it up, although that is the thai way

there have been some good posts and ideas on this thread which will help improve teaching thais