Singapore-kuala Lumpur Suggestions...

mail4matt

Hi,

I am travelling from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur in March/April. I will be leaving Singapore on the 29th or 30th of March and aim to be in Kuala Lumpur on or before the 3rd April of this year. I have read mixed reviews about JB, Melaka and Port Dickson and haven't thoroughly researched anywhere else.

If anyone has any suggestions (taking into consideration that I will not be driving a car so will be reliant upon Malaysian public transport), please let them be heard here.

Further, I also investigated just flying to Kota Kinabalu on 29th March from Singapore, then flying back into Kuala Lumpur Int'l Airport on 3rd April.

1. Is it possible to 'do' Kota Kinabalu and surrounds in the space of 4 days?

2. Is early April a good time to go to Kota Kinabalu weather wise?

3. Am I the 'type' of person that wants to go to Kota Kinabalu if I'm not greatly into hiking (I mean, I don't mind walking around a place to investigate the area, but I'm not a hardcore hiker)?

So, this poses the final question and I am hoping to get a mixed response in an attempt to fully understand all possible angles:

If you were departing Singapore on 29th March 2009 to get to Kuala Lumpur on 3rd April 2009, would you:

a). Travel northwards, overland in an attempt to see as much of Malaysia this side of KL as possible?

or

:o. Fly to Kota Kinabalu, spend a few days in the vicinity, then fly back to KL (missing out on whatever there is or isn't this side of KL)?

Bare in mind that costs are to be taken into consideration - but I am tempted by Kota Kinabalu as for just 2,500 THB (about GBP50), I can fly from Singapore to KK, then KK to KL.

I am at a loss regarding what to do so all opinions are welcome!!

Thank you for your time...

Hi,

I am travelling from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur in March/April. I will be leaving Singapore on the 29th or 30th of March and aim to be in Kuala Lumpur on or before the 3rd April of this year. I have read mixed reviews about JB, Melaka and Port Dickson and haven't thoroughly researched anywhere else.

If anyone has any suggestions (taking into consideration that I will not be driving a car so will be reliant upon Malaysian public transport), please let them be heard here.

Further, I also investigated just flying to Kota Kinabalu on 29th March from Singapore, then flying back into Kuala Lumpur Int'l Airport on 3rd April.

1. Is it possible to 'do' Kota Kinabalu and surrounds in the space of 4 days?

2. Is early April a good time to go to Kota Kinabalu weather wise?

3. Am I the 'type' of person that wants to go to Kota Kinabalu if I'm not greatly into hiking (I mean, I don't mind walking around a place to investigate the area, but I'm not a hardcore hiker)?

So, this poses the final question and I am hoping to get a mixed response in an attempt to fully understand all possible angles:

If you were departing Singapore on 29th March 2009 to get to Kuala Lumpur on 3rd April 2009, would you:

a). Travel northwards, overland in an attempt to see as much of Malaysia this side of KL as possible?

or

:o . Fly to Kota Kinabalu, spend a few days in the vicinity, then fly back to KL (missing out on whatever there is or isn't this side of KL)?

Bare in mind that costs are to be taken into consideration - but I am tempted by Kota Kinabalu as for just 2,500 THB (about GBP50), I can fly from Singapore to KK, then KK to KL.

I am at a loss regarding what to do so all opinions are welcome!!

Thank you for your time...

I lived in Kota Kinabalu for almost 2 years. State of Sabah and city itself are very sleepy Malaysian backwater but lots of things to see.

In KK I suggest you check Tanjung Aru Resort. Go out of town towards Keningau and visit Mt Kinabalu, highest mountain in SE Asia and National Park. Some amazing local folklore there too, namely Kadazan and Dusun tribes, very friendly bunch.

I strongly suggest you visit Sepilok, orangutan rehabilitation center, major tourist attraction. However, that is 25km out of Sandakan, 40 mins flight from KK.

Since you are there, it would be sin not to visit Sipadan and Litigan, 2 islands in the middle of probably most beautiful coral reef on this planet. You won't regret, trust me. Islands are still claimed by both Indonesia and Malaysia but tourists are left in peace.

As for Johor Bahru, it is one of the ugliest cities in Malaysia. Malacca (or Melaka) is famous for it's Portuguese settlement and some unique culture.

Port Dickson is Malaysian version of Pattaya - minus vice. Most of middle class Malaysian folks drive down on weekends from KL to local beaches, hardly any foreign tourists. Not place for you, seriously.

Surprised you never mentioned Penang Island or Cherating (near Kuantan in state of Pahang). These are 2 very interesting places to visit but totally opposite in what to expect. If you like wondering around and checking out historical landmarks, Penang is the place. Otherwise, go to Cherating, lie down on the beautiful almost deserted sandy beach and enjoy.

Hope it helps.

agree, skip the SIN - KUL overland tour, as there is not much more to see than Malacca.

sabah is nice indeed, though they are pretty successful in destroying its natural beauty these days (for example: the new ugly shopping mall "1Borneo" 10 km out of town, and an even more ugly Condo-skyscraper next door, a crime against the environment).

other than my fellow poster here I would NOT recommend to stay at Tanjung Aru Resort, as this place is out of downtown and u will miss the downtown-vibe. Not that it is a beautiful downtown (has been almost completely destroyed during WW2), but its the most lively place on the entire Borneo island.

Rather stay at LE MERIDIEN or the HYATT, or THE PROMENADE (depending on your budget). all those hotels are in the middle of the action and you can walk anywhere as the actual downtown of KK is pretty small. if staying out of town at the Tanjung Aru you depend on taxis or shuttle-buses. if you dont mind driving, rent a small KANCIL or WIRA for as low as 100-130 RM a day and explore the area by car. lovely.

if you have the time and are fit, try to climb (well, its rather a hiking than climbing or a mix of both) Mount Kinabalu, though you would have to make a reservation for that as quickly as possible. I did that in 2002 and I still consider it the highlight of my "Asian life". it was just overwhelming to experience the sunrise at the summit.

Yeah, go to KK, and for sure the Kadazan people will say "KOPIVOSIAN" to you.....

Edited by siam2007