How Many Farangs Have A Masters Degree?

jtp

I am hesitant to post and answer your question simply because number one I am new on this forum and number two because there is no way to verify what I say other than you psychically coming to my place of employment and speaking to the head of my department or sending you a copy of my transcripts which I would be very reluctant to do. But since you asked I have an M.D. as my base degree, my specialty degree in medicine is a Psy.D. which is a Doctor of Psychology or professional doctorate in Clinical Psychology if you prefer and a Ph.D. in Eastern Philosophy. Most people ask me what I am doing in Thailand the simple answer is I worked at a level one trauma center for 8 years and I did my internship and residency in a level one trauma center thus I am burned out on the horror people are capable of doing to each other and I had to get out before I needed a psychiatrist.

Very few people believe anyone here! I had posted once in a thread about weightlifting, yet at a TV get together, I had two people tell me they assumed I was fat and out-of-shape, and I had just been BS'ing in the that thread. And after I posted some photos of me in my gallery, with a couple of them in uniform, I was told that some people hadn't believed I was a Marine until I posted them.

I know a woman who people were convinced was a man.

You can't worry if people believe you or not. We all use TV for various reasons, and we all get good out of it, or we wouldn't post. So post away and don't worry about whether anyone believes you or not.

I see in your profile that you have travelled to over one hundred different countries,you certainly have got around! :o

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Most people ask me what I am doing in Thailand the simple answer is I worked at a level one trauma center for 8 years and I did my internship and residency in a level one trauma center thus I am burned out on the horror people are capable of doing to each other and I had to get out before I needed a psychiatrist.

Why on Earth shouldn't doctors, or any other people with qualifications come to Thailand?

You'll feel at home here as Thai doctors have an inflated ego too.

I am hesitant to post and answer your question simply because number one I am new on this forum and number two because there is no way to verify what I say other than you psychically coming to my place of employment and speaking to the head of my department or sending you a copy of my transcripts which I would be very reluctant to do. But since you asked I have an M.D. as my base degree, my specialty degree in medicine is a Psy.D. which is a Doctor of Psychology or professional doctorate in Clinical Psychology if you prefer and a Ph.D. in Eastern Philosophy. Most people ask me what I am doing in Thailand the simple answer is I worked at a level one trauma center for 8 years and I did my internship and residency in a level one trauma center thus I am burned out on the horror people are capable of doing to each other and I had to get out before I needed a psychiatrist.

One has to admit though, that it is hard to believe that a psychiatrist would mispell "physically" as "psychically".

Probably a nurse with an inferiority complex.

One has to admit though, that it is hard to believe that a psychiatrist would mispell "physically" as "psychically".

the bs alarm went off for me too

"Why on Earth shouldn't doctors, or any other people with qualifications come to Thailand?"

Recently a guy working for an estate agent here was clalming in print to have an MD, a law degree, an MBA and an engineering degree, probably also CMH

Edited by desertrat

I rather thought he meant somehow manifesting oneself as through a seance or some such.

Either that or he is as poor a typist as I am! :o

Very few people believe anyone here! I had posted once in a thread about weightlifting, yet at a TV get together, I had two people tell me they assumed I was fat and out-of-shape, and I had just been BS'ing in the that thread. And after I posted some photos of me in my gallery, with a couple of them in uniform, I was told that some people hadn't believed I was a Marine until I posted them.

I know a woman who people were convinced was a man.

You can't worry if people believe you or not. We all use TV for various reasons, and we all get good out of it, or we wouldn't post. So post away and don't worry about whether anyone believes you or not.

I see in your profile that you have travelled to over one hundred different countries,you certainly have got around! :o

Thanks to an adventuresome military and programs such as EurRail, yes, the numbers can add up.

And that also includes places such as Puerto Rico and American Samoa which may not technically be countries but which none-the-less can have their own Olympic teams.

multiply choice questions ... the American system is a joke!

I guess that is why so many people from around the world want to get American graduate degrees--and why so many foreign governments sponsor their students who get accepted!

I am not sure what schools you are talking about, but I rarely saw multiple choice anything at my masters level, and never at my doctoral level.  

Everyone's probably heard these, but I'll type just in case:

B.S. Bull Sh*t

M.S. More Sh*t

Ph.D. Piled higher and Deeper (alternatively: Pretty huge D*ck)

As for me, B.S. in Electrical Engr., M.S. and Ph.D. in Nuc. Engr... I'm followed my wife to Thailand after we both had completed graduate school in the US (she had 2 year residency requirement)... Incidentally, we plan to move back to the US soon... anyone on this board with hiring authority?

One has to admit though, that it is hard to believe that a psychiatrist would l "physically" as "psychically".

We all make mistakes what can I say, Freudian slip perhaps? One thing that does keep me honest is Freudian slips I tend to make them a lot when trying to be deceitful, which is NOT the case here. One reason I got into the field of psychology is because of my own personal problems and short comings such as I am dyslexic but have learned to function with it, I was also ADHD and OCD with symptoms of personality disorder I have over come them with education rather than medication. I spend half of my day correcting papers written by Thai students that must have had the most horrid English teachers on the face of the planet and one gets to the point where all the words just blend together and start to look correct. I also worked in a level 1 trauma center for 8 years on the trauma team as well as doing my internship and residency in level 1 trauma centers so, if I use an incorrect word from time to time I feel I have earned the right to I'm a little traumatized myself.

On a lighter note before you correct my faux pas check your spelling you misspelled “mispel”.

Edited by Jungian

One has to admit though, that it is hard to believe that a psychiatrist would l "physically" as "psychically".

We all make mistakes what can I say, Freudian slip perhaps? One thing that does keep me honest is Freudian slips I tend to make them a lot when trying to be deceitful, which is NOT the case here. One reason I got into the field of psychology is because of my own personal problems and short comings such as I am dyslexic but have learned to function with it, I was also ADHD and OCD with symptoms of personality disorder I have over come them with education rather than medication. I spend half of my day correcting papers written by Thai students that must have had the most horrid English teachers on the face of the planet and one gets to the point where all the words just blend together and start to look correct. I also worked in a level 1 trauma center for 8 years on the trauma team as well as doing my internship and residency in level 1 trauma centers so, if I use an incorrect word from time to time I feel I have earned the right to I'm a little traumatized myself.

On a lighter note before you correct my faux pas check your spelling you misspelled “mispel”.

Pirsonially, ied jist lovve et whin da spelin copz hare in toune.....tit mast makem fellez reallie impordant two pic onn pepols hoo maekes juszt a feuw spelin miztakes.... :o

A masters diploma is basically a finishing school for some faculties and can provide cross specialization in some cases. One cannot compare certain faculties either as there is an obvious ranking as to the difficulty of certain degrees. An MBA was intended as way to provide useful skills to various professionals and is one of the easier diplomas to obtain after the artsie stuff. The typical MBA holder has similar business studies knowledge to a kid with a BBA or BComm. grad. A B.Eng. when followed by a professional certification is certainly more rigorous than someone with an MA in polysci, psych, or sociology. Same thing for a CPA/CA with a B.Comm. I took almost 3 years for my masters compared to some of those knuckledraggers that received a masters in ed or psych. after a year. I had to publish and do peer reviewed research. They did not. I'd also argue that someone with a liberal arts undergrad diploma is far better educated than alot of folks with masters, if only for that person's exposure to multiple disciplines.

There really isn't much of a difference in required knowledge between a JD and an LLB, although one is a "doctorate". However, an LLM is an entirely different matter and requires alot of work. It's sort of like chiropractors and optometrists that call themselves "doctors". And not to shoot myself in the ass, but I admit that a D.Sc. is lower on the totem pole than a Ph.D. in something like nursing or genetics or engineering and certainly less prestigious than a MCl.Sc.

There is a hierarchy in academia. The tip off is at convocations as to who gets what colour sash and little hat. At the end of the day though, when the pipes have burst or the car has broken down, having a masters diploma doesn't really help does it?

On a lighter note before you correct my faux pas check your spelling you misspelled "mispel".

Pirsonially, ied jist lovve et whin da spelin copz hare in toune.....tit mast makem fellez reallie impordant two pic onn pepols hoo maekes juszt a feuw spelin miztakes.... :D

Um,sorry to bother you,but i noticed some errors in your grammer....... :o

Pirsonially, ied jist lovve et whin da spelin copz hare in toune.....tit mast makem fellez reallie impordant two pic onn pepols hoo maekes juszt a feuw spelin miztakes.... :o

But you two guys miss the point. I am not the one trying to convince anyone that I am a brilliant psychiatrist. Neither did I claim to have any academic credentials that would make it unusual for me to leave out one"s" in the word misspell.

I stand by my original post that I find it hard to believe that a psychiatrist would use the word psychically in place of physically. I may have been born at night but I wasn't born LAST night.

On a lighter note before you correct my faux pas check your spelling you misspelled "mispel".

But you two guys miss the point. I am not the one trying to convince anyone that I am a brilliant psychiatrist. Neither did I claim to have any academic credentials that would make it unusual for me to leave out one"s" in the word misspell.

I stand by my original post that I find it hard to believe that a psychiatrist would use the word psychically in place of physically. I may have been born at night but I wasn't born LAST night.

I dunno, I wasnt even thinking of you when I posted my comments....I heard the word Psychiatrist and I thought it was time for my appointment....sorry :D:D

I dunno, I wasnt even thinking of you when I posted my comments....I heard the word Psychiatrist and I thought it was time for my appointment....sorry :D:D

"I'm sorry sir,we have cancelled your appointment for today,as we don't have any straitjackets available at this time,so due to personal safety issues,we must reschedule your appointment" Yours not sincerely,Dr Ramfukkel" :D:D

Edited by tritexengineering

There's been a profound inflation in academic awards in Britain - if that's where you're from - so it doesn't seem that improbable. The ex-polytechnics, in particular, hand out bullshit degrees at all levels to anyone who can bother to sit through the lectures/seminars. I was briefly involved in undergraduate awards at one of the better British universities (the department in which I worked was, I seem to remember, ranked 4th in the country) and the finals' board was a joke. If you hadn't been a complete arse, it was pretty difficult not to get a 2.1 and they moved heaven and earth to avoid failing a student.

I'm am Aussie,not to be mistaken with sheep land AKA New Zealand... :o

When taking the piss on Kiwi's how do you explain that a Kiwi has to have half his brain removed before he can take out Australian citizenship.

And to back that up a guy by the name of Robert Muldoon said when questioned about Kiwi's migrating permanently to Australia he responded with "I am Ok with that as it results in an increase in the IQ level in both countries"

Edited by john b good

There's been a profound inflation in academic awards in Britain - if that's where you're from - so it doesn't seem that improbable. The ex-polytechnics, in particular, hand out bullshit degrees at all levels to anyone who can bother to sit through the lectures/seminars. I was briefly involved in undergraduate awards at one of the better British universities (the department in which I worked was, I seem to remember, ranked 4th in the country) and the finals' board was a joke. If you hadn't been a complete arse, it was pretty difficult not to get a 2.1 and they moved heaven and earth to avoid failing a student.

When taking the piss on Kiwi's how do you explain that a Kiwi has to have half his brain removed before he can take out Australian citizenship.

And to back that up a guy by the name of Robert Muldoon said when questioned about Kiwi's migrating permanently to Australia he responded with "I am Ok with that as it results in an increase in the IQ level in both countries"

I'm always up for a good joke,don't care if it's kiwi,Aussie or leb joke;I like a laugh. :D

I'm always up for a good joke,don't care if it's kiwi,Aussie or leb joke;I like a laugh. :D

Fair enough :D

Pirsonially, ied jist lovve et whin da spelin copz hare in toune.....tit mast makem fellez reallie impordant two pic onn pepols hoo maekes juszt a feuw spelin miztakes.... :D

I don't pass myself off as an English teacher.... your point being what? Are you so traumatized that this is the best you can do to make yourself feel better; to pick at a fast typo written post on the web? Maybe you need to talk to me in private because I can see where your inferiority complex is going. I'm a farm boy from Pennsylvania that was fortunate enough to get an education which has taught me being a farm boy from Pennsylvania is good enough... Do you feel that foreigners in Thailand other than yourself are evil and dirty and should not be here? And by the way " grammer" is spelled grammar in English and Bill Gates "American English" as well. So let's pick.

I don't pass myself off as an English teacher.... your point being what? Are you so traumatized that this is the best you can do to make yourself feel better; to pick at a fast typo written post on the web? Maybe you need to talk to me in private because I can see where your inferiority complex is going. I'm a farm boy from Pennsylvania that was fortunate enough to get an education which has taught me being a farm boy from Pennsylvania is good enough... Do you feel that foreigners in Thailand other than yourself are evil and dirty and should not be here? And by the way " grammer" is spelled grammar in English and Bill Gates "American English" as well. So let's pick.

I think you'll find that tritexengineering's post was not directed at yourself.

My apologises,i was not directing this towards you,but Neverdie is a mate and it was a tongue in cheek reply to his statement.

Edited by tritexengineering