Pattaya Is Improving

Chaimai

Having moved up country last year, it was very interesting to go back to Pattaya for a few days before returning to the UK.

My observations:-

Pattaya was generally busier than when I was last there in November. Russians appear to dominate the tourist population and most appear to be couples or family groups.

Soi 6 did not seem as busy and several bars are for sale. Soi 7 looked as busy as ever but Soi 8 seemed down-trodden. Many of the older bars on the fringes of the 'entertainment area' seened to have glum looking girls and few customers. Soi Bukhoa seemed to thriving but the Soi 2/3 end of Second Road less so.

The traffic lights at Soi Siam Country Club actually seem to work :o but traffic congestion on SSCC and SNPW gets worse as more people use the new roads parallel to the railway line. Can't believe that SNPW has ANOTHER Oasis bar !

These were just a few observations from my brief visit. However, I would also like to report what I believe are some fundamental improvements to Pattaya:-

I am no fan of shopping malls but Central Festival certainly improves the general ambience of the city. I thought that this was going to be a white elephant but it seems to have everything the Avenue doesn't.

Pattaya City Walk - a fascinating 'European' style development. Whilst I would worry about the big screen showing major football matches (and possibly creating a confrontational environment) this has a Spanish plaza feel about and could be a good 'family' entertainment area.

IMO Pattaya had been suffering decline and some areas still are. However, some of the new developments do appear to be positive for the long-term future of Pattaya. I can picture in, say, 5 years that the 'traditional' entertainment areas will be zoned differently and will be further away from Beach Road which will become more family orientated. Walking Street will, and should, remain pretty much the same. It is Soho on speed.

Whilst initially sceptical, I now believe that Pattaya can evolve into what the authorities want - a family resort - whilst still retaining the traditional appeal of the bars and entertainment venues.

I shall certainly take regular holidays to see how things change.

Nah from my feeling doubt any of the entertainment areas will be away from the beach - too convenient for most people. Walking Street would have to be demolished and I seriously doubt that will ever happen. Be honest things are good the way they are apart from the bloody traffic, and dirty beach/water.

Totaly agree with the comments

BUT

some how,beach rd has got to be traffic free from about 7pm until 5am(approx),as this will allow diabled people to move freely.It was brilliant when they shut it for songkran and walking up and down Beach Rd was a delight.

East side have still got big problems with traffic and the new express way is useless,for design.Also the big market up siam country clb road is slowing down traffic badly,in both directions.

Overall,Pattaya is getting better but still needs good improvements to atract more families,which i would applaud.