Pattaya Office: Enforcement Changed For Retirement Extensions

IMPORTANT CHANGE

The change news for Pattaya:

Those using the 800K in the bank for retirement extensions must now season the money for THREE MONTHS for subsequent extensions. Before this change at Pattaya, there was no seasoning requirement at all for such subsequent extensions.

Those having pension letters covering over 800K must have a Thai bank account of any size.

The current enforcement policy at Pattaya as announced in Pattaya Today reportedly based on direct news from immigration:

extending using 800K in the bank:

first time extensions -- money must be seasoned TWO months

subsequent extensions -- money must be seasoned THREE months

This conforms with the national enforcement policy. The same news release confirms what I have been asserting for years now, that at Pattaya, before this new change, there was NO money seasoning requirement at all for subsequent extensions using the 800K. Interesting that they FINALLY announced this variance officially just at the time they have taken it away. TIT!

Those with a pension letter are not subject to any money seasoning requirements. However, they must have a Thai bank account of any size (no minimum) even if their pension exceeds 800K per annum. Those using the COMBO METHOD, pension letter plus Thai bank account to meet the financial requirements, are also exempt from any money seasoning requirements.

Regarding the need for a bank account of any size even for those who have a pension covering over 800K, the info above is Pattaya specific, I cannot say if that is enforced nationally or not.

Note: I cannot supply an online link because I can't locate it yet. I gleaned this info from reading the current print copy of Pattaya Today. They cite direct info from immigration. I find the info very credible for two reasons: recently there was a national announcement of changes that used clearer language than previously erasing any fudge room and also I think there is recently new leadership at Pattaya immigration.

Edited by Jingthing

you used to be able to get away with not having to previously in pattaya?

Yes! This is confirmed in the news release. Before this new enforcement change it was the policy of Pattaya immigration to not require ANY money seasoning for subsequent extensions using the 800K method. I was told this directly by an officer and reported it here many times. My last extension also was done without full seasoning and no comment was made about it. But that is history now! That is why this is BIG NEWS to people using the 800K method in Pattaya. Please spread the word.

One thing I wonder about. Will they show any leniency to people in Pattaya who properly digested the OLD POLICY and have not seasoned the money, and have extensions coming up shortly if it is now too late for them to season the money?

Edited by Jingthing

a very good point,cos if they dont,extentioners may have to get an interim visa.this happened to me on Samui,even though i swear at the time i asked about the 3 month rule and was told i did n't have to. i went back to the immo about 4 weeks before extention due only to be told it had to be in 3 months prior.sometimes you just cant win.

you used to be able to get away with not having to previously in pattaya?

Yes! This is confirmed in the news release. Before this new enforcement change it was the policy of Pattaya immigration to not require ANY money seasoning for subsequent extensions using the 800K method. I was told this directly by an officer and reported it here many times. My last extension also was done without full seasoning and no comment was made about it. But that is history now! That is why this is BIG NEWS to people using the 800K method in Pattaya. Please spread the word.

One thing I wonder about. Will they show any leniency to people in Pattaya who properly digested the OLD POLICY and have not seasoned the money, and have extensions coming up shortly if it is now too late for them to season the money?

You make it sound such a big issue ?

- they could just a tourist visa

until the 3 months had passed Yes / No ? :o

I could be mean and write a I told you so reply but I won't.

You just did, who are you kidding?

Did I ever say it was forever? I just said it was the current standard Pattaya enforcement policy before and I was correct. Now it is different. Nothing is forever, especially Thai immigration matters. If we all acted on potential future changes before they happened, that would be silly, but of course some people are always caught in the snares of changes when they happen.

until the 3 months had passed Yes / No ?

It is a big deal for people who don't want to be hassled to "start over" all over again.

There is also the risk that the financial requirements will be raised during the interim period and if that happened all GRANDFATHERING at the lower money levels eligibility would be lost.

Actually if you are forced to start over, the seasoning rule would be TWO MONTHS for first time extensions, not three.

I agree it is not game over, but who needs the hassle?

Edited by Jingthing

As I understand it, "Officially" post-34728-1234515833.gifyou need a Non Imm visa to convert to an OA (Retirement type for extension), so a Tourist Visa will not do. But being Pattaya, one never knows.

On Pattaya Bank requirements, I understood the 3 months rule has been "Official" for the past 3 years and I have ensured that my money has been in the bank by then. (Was lucky this year, as I brought the "top-up" over at 60Bt =GBP, before the Exchange Rate crash.)

I got my "Retirement Extension" a couple of days ago. The queues were out the door and I thought I would have to come back the next day. I pressed "Number 8" on the ticket machine and I was the next in line. Being prepared, I was in and out in about 15 minutes, except they sent me back to the photocopy office for the 3 year old "extension stamp" copies - ( I had only done last two years extension stamps)

well our man in samui immigration told me 3 months,

The Rule is 2 months for the 1st application , since 25th November 2008.

you misunderstood me,on my 2nd extension i did n't season the money for three months,was told when i was ready to bring over i would need to season for 3 months and they would grant me back my retirement extension.as it was i decided to go for a non O multiple entry with 400,0000

baht in account which i already had.

As I understand it, "Officially" post-34728-1234515833.gifyou need a Non Imm visa to convert to an OA (Retirement type for extension), so a Tourist Visa will not do. But being Pattaya, one never knows.

It is possible and often done to do a change of visa status from a tourist visa to non-o for an extension.

Officially you can upgrade to a Non O Visa if you have at least 21 days remaining on your stay. This can be a Tourist Visa or even a 30day entry stamp. With this Non O Visa you can apply for the Retirement Extension.

An O-A can only be obtained in your own country.

Lite Beer, of course you are correct, the other poster had it wrong.

Yes, the national rule on first time extensions using 800K was changed last year from three months seasoning to two months seasoning.

The purpose this thread was started was for

PATTAYA ENFORCEMENT CHANGES ONLY

as indeed Pattaya enforcement has before now been different than other offices in regards to subsequent retirement extensions based on 800K bank account and also possibly the need for a bank account for those have a qualifying pension over 65K per month.

That is the news. That is the change. Basically not very relevant to people using other offices. Should I have posted this in the Pattaya forum?

Edited by Jingthing

FYI, Pattaya is currently enforcing the same 3 month rule for extensions based on supporting a Thai family too!

It is in violation with the November Police order, but who cares?

I have just applied for family extension with money in the Bank for two month (I transferred the money after hearing about the new regulation early December ...) but was told to come again next month. They stamped me two month extension though .....

My polite comment about the ruls was heard by the officer who dealt with my application, and he confirmed first to me that there is no 3 month mentioned for the application, but his superior "corrected" him .....