Bkk Dinner And/or Drinks Venues For Valentine's Day

jfchandler

OK OK... I'm looking and looking...and see nothing here...no thread on this topic for BKK, except for the folks up in CM...

So where to go tonight for drinks and/or dinner.... Romantic setting... not extortionist prices...and not the most obvious choices (like Vertigo, etc.) where everyone is likely to try to go on this special day...

Romantic outdoor garden settings with nice music (not rock music or Carabao today) sound right for tonight.... Or maybe something along the Chao Phraya...

Or how about hotel lounges with a view and music, but please don't say Oriental or Shangri-La... Pang pang pang... Let's keep this reasonable...

I remember Anna's Garden fitting into this category from what I've read, but haven't yet gone myself... Someone in a different thread the other day mentioned Le Lys near Chong Nonsi as a lovely place... And likewise there was another recommendation for The Face bar in Suk Soi 38 (all of these not mentioned here specifically in connection with Valentine's Day).

So, those are a few to get things started... I can't be the only one out there thinking..where to go tonight.... And, as seems usual, the lady is offering absolutely no help in the way of suggestions....

Ok...so now it's 1 pm... either no one's awake yet...or... Thailand is full of a bunch of romantic zeros!!! :o

As George Bernard Shaw said: "There is no love more sincere than the love of food"

So, for us, no need to go out tonight to eat a bland and overpriced menu in an overcrowded place surrounded by non-efficient waiters.

But we definitely go for a jazzy Sunday brunch, tomorrow.

I'm thinking about...

Coffee Beans by Dao (multiple locations) for early.....

Ana's Garden or Face Bar or To Die For for middle...

and late... not sure.... maybe someplace open nearly or all night.... Banrai Coffee at Ekamai or Absolute 7 Pub or 13 Coins Restaurant....

Deserved Honorable mentions: Rider Resort behind Seacon Square, Lemongrass on Suk Soi 24, interesting night to try Nomad on Suk Soi 12, and a few others....

But...the night's still early...and sometimes the best laid plans....

Ok...so now it's 1 pm... either no one's awake yet...or... Thailand is full of a bunch of romantic zeros!!! :D

As George Bernard Shaw said: "There is no love more sincere than the love of food"

So, for us, no need to go out tonight to eat a bland and overpriced menu in an overcrowded place surrounded by non-efficient waiters.

It's a great venue and has been very well reviewed elsewhere... But you ought to have mentioned along with your recommendation... the price is 1,600 baht++ per adult.

At that price per person, you can buy a lot of night time food/love.... :o

Ok...so now it's 1 pm... either no one's awake yet...or... Thailand is full of a bunch of romantic zeros!!! :o

Sounds like the best plan! Might see you there

Ok...so now it's 1 pm... either no one's awake yet...or... Thailand is full of a bunch of romantic zeros!!! :D

It's a great venue and has been very well reviewed elsewhere... But you ought to have mentioned along with your recommendation... the price is 1,600 baht++ per adult.

My accountant, recently, said to me that I have to make more expenses... So, I obey!

My accountant, recently, said to me that I have to make more expenses... So, I obey!

my 34 yr old g/f looks like a child so fingers crossed I will get her in for the 900bht price. She doesn't eat much anyways

Edited by zorro1

Had a great night last night, and tried two new places for the first time -- both earning high marks...

1. Had dinner at Coffee Beans by Dao, the Soi Ruamrudee branch, maybe 200 meters (easy walk) up the soi from Ploenchit BTS station. (Other CBBD locations at Ekamai, Rajdamri, Paragon, and Central World). Same Ruamrudee complex hosts Bacchus wine bar and a Vietnamese restaurant, name something like Delices. For Valentine's Day, CBBD gave a long stemmed red rose to each table and a complimentary small desert, which both were nice, thoughtful touches...

But, mainly, they have a very interesting and broad menu, a good selection of drinks and a very good selection of deserts including various cheesecakes. Entrees (Thai and western) tend to run in the 200 to 300 per range, while non-alcohol drinks were around 100 and the deserts seemed to run about 130. For dinner, non alcohol drinks and desert for two people, our total bill ran about 1,100 baht.

Among the good points, the service was very efficient and prompt, we had the choice of sitting inside in a very pleasant, nicely done dining room (draperies and upholstered chairs) or sitting outside/out front on a covered patio complete with misters (water cooling spray). We took the outside patio, sitting at a large table on a couch together. The place was busy at 6 pm and got busier as the night went on. The crowd on Valentine's Day was 90% Thai, including a Thai TV series star that my GF spotted nearby us.

2. Later in the evening, went to Ana's Garden on Soi Thong Lor, also about 200 meters up from Sukhumvit Road on the left side of the street. Easy walk from Thong Lor BTS, or a very short taxi ride. As someone who's perpectually hot in BKK, this was a great place for the evening. The restaurant in front feels like an oasis, with lots of running water and many strong fans throughout creating a cooling breeze. The restaurant is basically a very large outdoors covered patio in the midst of trees.

Again, good, efficient and prompt service. Decent prices in the 150 to 300 per entree range. In the back they have a bar and DJ that starts nightly about 9 pm in an enclosed (indoors area). But on this night, we only stayed for dinner and drinks, and left the dancing/DJ part for another visit. Only a small markdown to Ana's for having a rasberry margarita on the menu, but finding out after I'd ordered one, that they'd run out of rasberry makings for the night, and no other fruit margaritas on offer. But the atmosphere in the restaurant was great, being the kind of place where I'd love to come and enjoy spending the whole night. The location is right fronting on Thong Lor, but the word that keeps coming to mind to describe Ana's is OASIS...

Great choices for Valentine's Day. Great choices for any day.

Had a great night last night, and tried two new places for the first time -- both earning high marks...

1. Had dinner at Coffee Beans by Dao, the Soi Ruamrudee branch, maybe 200 meters (easy walk) up the soi from Ploenchit BTS station. (Other CBBD locations at Ekamai, Rajdamri, Paragon, and Central World). Same Ruamrudee complex hosts Bacchus wine bar and a Vietnamese restaurant, name something like Delices. For Valentine's Day, CBBD gave a long stemmed red rose to each table and a complimentary small desert, which both were nice, thoughtful touches...

But, mainly, they have a very interesting and broad menu, a good selection of drinks and a very good selection of deserts including various cheesecakes. Entrees (Thai and western) tend to run in the 200 to 300 per range, while non-alcohol drinks were around 100 and the deserts seemed to run about 130. For dinner, non alcohol drinks and desert for two people, our total bill ran about 1,100 baht.

2. Later in the evening, went to Ana's Garden on Soi Thong Lor, Again, good, efficient and prompt service. Decent prices in the 150 to 300 per entree range. In the back they have a bar and DJ that starts nightly about 9 pm in an enclosed (indoors area). But on this night, we only stayed for dinner and drinks.

Great choices for Valentine's Day. Great choices for any day.

Nice report, I think I'll give Ana's Garden a try sometime soon.

The one thing slightly puzzling me is.....am I right in thinking you ate dinner twice in one night??