Suvarnabhumi Rail Link To Open August 12

sriracha john

Yes, you got it. More details will become available when they are available.

no bypass. its a timing thing trains only ever stop for 30seconds or so at every station. if the trains are 15 min apart the express can never catch up to the train in front the trains will travel at the same speed apart from stoping at the station.

That surely cannot be correct?

If the timing is 15 minutes that means there will only be an Express Train from Suwannabhumi to Makkasan and return every 30 minutes - hardly enough to accomodate passengers on even 20% of the Flights arriving and leaving in that time.

Patrick

Yes, this how the SRT explained the system to me (and a group of other property people) too. Although I seem to remember from my meeting (two years ago) that the delays problem mentioned is to be dealt with by a place where the commuter train can wait, I think perhaps Latkrabang, but not sure on specifics. (edit I see that you mentioned that.. yes, agreed its still prone to error)

The difference between what you posted is that we were told by the SRT that the express train leaves every 30 minutes and takes just 15 minutes station to station, whereas the community train take 30 minutes to travel the same route but leaves every 15 minutes!

So... if you miss the "express" train you have to wait 30 minutes for the next one, and then travel for 15 minutes OR you can wait for 15 minutes and endure 30 minutes travel! Net result being the same! (Although timing would be offset). Still, hardly what I would call "express", especially when you can take the same trip by car in the same time, unless you happen to be travelling at rush hour.

I now understand that there is a Passing Loop at the Hua Mark Station - near the junction of Pattanakarn and Srinakarin Roads - which will enable the Express Service to pass while the City Line waits in the station, so there will be more than the 4 trains per hour I envisaged based on a purely "timing" system on a single track.

My own feeling is that within a year or so the Express Service (non-stop Makkasan - Suwannaphum) will be discontinued for lack of use and the Service will remain as only the City Line stopping at all stations.

Patrick

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While this particular train line is being sold as an express 'airport link', what is going relatively unnoticed is that there is going to be a bog standard train link as well, which will connect directly to both the underground and the skytrain.

This is going to transform the lives and the commute for many thousands of people in BKK eastern suburbs and substantially shift the dynamics of public transport in BKK, the same way that the skytrain and the underground already have for many.

My bet is that the airport express service will be bust in 2 years time (so long as taxi's remain as competitive as they do), but the operators will find they have a thriving commuter service on their hands....

Yep I couldnt give a dam_n about the airport express service but I m loving the fact that soon we will have the BTS coming to upper Ramkamhaeng where I live and the station is right outside Nasa Vegas hotel where I go to the gym. Cant wait for it to open!

I doubt it will be used by anyone carrying more then a laptop-backpack. I can't see myself trying to get a 25 kilo suitcase into a overfilled skytrain wagon. OR actually be able to get off whereever I need. The pricetag will be nice for backpackers, but again, envision yourself in a skytrain wagon full of backpackers that all carry the mother of all backpacks.

Skytrain is made for daily commution, will be a nice option for business travelers, but for tourists it will turn into a nightmare. Unless they do like other airport shuttle systems and have specialized wagons where there is room for storing suitcases.

Will this be like Thaksin's "opening" of Cobra Swamp? He took a flight from Don Muang to Swampy to declare it open.

Meantime in the real world the workers kept working fixing cracks in the runways that were not there, and leaks in the roof that did not happen and then it started taking flights some time later, after negotiations to get international certification.

Will this be like Thaksin's "opening" of Cobra Swamp? He took a flight from Don Muang to Swampy to declare it open.

Meantime in the real world the workers kept working fixing cracks in the runways that were not there, and leaks in the roof that did not happen and then it started taking flights some time later, after negotiations to get international certification.

It will be Mark riding the 1st train to the airport, I guess.

Fortunately entire train carriages are too big for even the craftiest to steal, so they won't be able to run off with those like they did the luggage carts at the airport. I think, anyway.

I just know when I try to use this I'm going to end up on my face trying to get on or off the escalator with my bags trailing behind a Thai woman who stops for five seconds before getting on/off the thing to stare and wait for whatever it is they're waiting for when they stop at the escalator entrance and exit to stare at the ground for five seconds before stepping on. Hopefully they'll have those really quick locking gates, too, and not wide enough for luggage. That'll be awesome! I love the mass transit here and am glad for it, but like anything else in Thailand there are a couple of hiccups, heh. Who am I kidding, with the nearest entrance at Petchaburi the taxi ride from Thong Lo will be half the time to get to the airport except on Sundays or late at night.

Have we set up an official ThaiVisa pool for actual opening date yet? Because I'll put THB100 on His Majesty's birthday instead.

"Skytrain is made for daily commution,"

Commution? What is commution? I've heard of COMMUTING, and the phrase "the Skytrain is made for daily commuting" seems to make sense.

I think this is simply a combination of "commuting" and "commotion". Obviously posted by a long-time resident with experience of Bangkok traffic :o

/ Priceless

"Skytrain is made for daily commution,"

Commution? What is commution? I've heard of COMMUTING, and the phrase "the Skytrain is made for daily commuting" seems to make sense.

I think this is simply a combination of "commuting" and "commotion". Obviously posted by a long-time resident with experience of Bangkok traffic :o

/ Priceless

Yeah, it describes a great deal of activity giving the appearance of something happening while nothing is actually happening. Longer-term residents of Thailand will recognize this principle in action in various ways throughout The Kingdom.

• 1 month later...

Public opinion being sought again on airport link project

BANGKOK, 27 May 2009 (NNT) – The Office of Transport and Traffic Policy and Planning under the Ministry of Transport is gathering public opinions on the Don Mueang-Suvarnabhumi airport link to ensure the project receives good public acceptance.

The Director for the office's Transport and Traffic Systems Development Bureau, Mr. Chanchai Suwisutthagun, said opinions about details of the train link was being sought for the second time. This round of opinion-seeking focused on the views of people who live along the construction route and it was expected to benefit the project by reducing its effects on the environment. The office would now forward the opinions to the advising company, who would yield an environmental impact assessment to the Office of Natural Resources and Environment Policy and Planning for approval.

The Transport and Traffic Policy and Planning Office will also study the feasibility of converting the link into a high-speed train route in the future because the nature of investments in the project has changed after the government canceled some flights at Don Mueang airport.

The project involves constructing a link between Phaya Thai station and Don Mueang airport, which would effectively provide a connection between the two Bangkok airports at Don Mueang and Suvarnabhumi.

Mr. Chanchai said a final meeting for gathering opinions would be held in June, before all suggestions were compiled into the project's work plan and sent for government consideration.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2009-05-27

Airport Link further delayed

The first trial run of the new airport rail link has been postponed another three-and-a-half months, Transport Deputy Permanent Secretary Thawalrat Ornsira told the Cabinet on Wednesday. The trial was scheduled for Aug. 12, which is Mother's Day.

However, the contractors had advised they would not be able to complete the work by that date. So the first run had been rescheduled for Dec. 5, or Father's Day, His Majesty the King's birthday. Under the contractual agreement, building of the 28km route from downtown Bangkok to Suvarnabhumi must be completed by November.

It was now expected that the Airport link, which connects Phaya Thai and Makkasan areas to the international airport, would enter service in March next year, Mr Thawalrat said.

Continued:

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-06-03

When are the taxi mafia coming out to stop it?

they won't need to it will be cheaper unless you are travelling alone to take a taxi! plus comming out from the airport you will have to get some form of transport to take you home or to your hotel unless of course this will be a free transport link!! pigs a flying......................

I doubt it will be used by anyone carrying more then a laptop-backpack. I can't see myself trying to get a 25 kilo suitcase into a overfilled skytrain wagon. OR actually be able to get off whereever I need. The pricetag will be nice for backpackers, but again, envision yourself in a skytrain wagon full of backpackers that all carry the mother of all backpacks.

Skytrain is made for daily commution, will be a nice option for business travelers, but for tourists it will turn into a nightmare. Unless they do like other airport shuttle systems and have specialized wagons where there is room for storing suitcases.

I heard you can check in your luggage at Makkasan, though that does add to the risk of it going missing! And could the reverse be true? Picking it up at Makkasan? That sound rather problematic.

Airport Link further delayed

The first trial run of the new airport rail link has been postponed another three-and-a-half months, Transport Deputy Permanent Secretary Thawalrat Ornsira told the Cabinet on Wednesday. The trial was scheduled for Aug. 12, which is Mother's Day.

However, the contractors had advised they would not be able to complete the work by that date. So the first run had been rescheduled for Dec. 5, or Father's Day, His Majesty the King's birthday. Under the contractual agreement, building of the 28km route from downtown Bangkok to Suvarnabhumi must be completed by November.

It was now expected that the Airport link, which connects Phaya Thai and Makkasan areas to the international airport, would enter service in March next year, Mr Thawalrat said.

Continued:

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-06-03

Dec 5 Father day. He forgot to mention that is next year's father's day (not this).

Cabinet approves the train service for airport link to commence Dec 5

The Cabinet on Wednesday approved the business plan for train services, including the December 5 launch of airport link project between Suvarnabhumi Airport and the inner city areas at Makkasan and Phyathai.

The trial period for the airport link service will last three months and the full service is expected to start in March, Transport Deputy Permanent Secretary Thawanrat Onsira said.

The construction for the airport link service is about 98 per cent completed and the remaining work is for testing the operation system.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-06-03

What exactly is the "trial period," which is now supposed to start December 5? Is it a shuttling of empty trains to test equipment and systems, or is it actually (limited?) passenger service open to the public?

What exactly is the "trial period," which is now supposed to start December 5? Is it a shuttling of empty trains to test equipment and systems, or is it actually (limited?) passenger service open to the public?

Maybe it's like a Beta - use at your own risk.

• 3 weeks later...

Airport-Bangkok link faces further delay

The opening of the high-speed rail link between Suvarnabhumi Airport and inner Bangkok, scheduled for December 5, could be further delayed following this week's strike by railroad workers.

Hundreds of State Railway of Thailand employees returned to work yesterday evening after paralysing much of the national rail service for 36 hours.

Deputy Prime Minister Sanan Kachornprasart said the SRT labour union had agreed to end the strike following the government's pledge that the union would participate in reorganising the money-losing state agency.

The SRT is in the process of setting up two wholly owned companies: one for train operations and the other for real-estate management.

The company in charge of train operations will be responsible for running the 28.6-kilometre Airport Rail Link, which is due to open in December.

"I'm not sure if the rail link can still be opened as scheduled, because the process to form the SRT company will be halted until negotiations between the SRT union and the agency's top management are concluded," Transport Minister Sophon Saram said yesterday.

He said he hoped the talks would not be protracted and could be concluded within two weeks, or else the SRT would face greater financial damage.

The country's international image would also take a further hit if the multi-billion-baht elevated rail service between Suvarnabhumi Airport and the inner city did not start operation as scheduled, he added.

The high-speed rail service between the international airport - located in the suburbs of Bangkok - and Makkasan Station was originally due to open in August, but construction delays led to a postponement.

Leaders of the SRT union, which went on a selective wildcat strike on Monday morning, causing disruption to hundreds of thousands of commuters, said they were concerned the SRT would further privatise other routes of the national rail service.

Yesterday, the union entered into a memorandum of understanding with the government to end the strike on condition there be further negotiations between the two sides over the SRT's reorganisation.

The SRT has been losing money for years, with accumulated losses amounting to more than Bt70 billion.

Sanan said the SRT management would have to hold talks with the union, as the latter still lacked a clear understanding of the reorganisation plan aimed at boosting the agency's efficiency and reducing its chronic losses.

Sawit Kaewwan, President of the SRT union, said rail workers had needed to take the drastic action of the past two days in order to achieve the union's objective, even though many commuters were left stranded as a result.

Deputy Finance Minister Pradit Pataraprasit said the SRT needed to be reorganised quickly, because the government had committed to investing Bt170 billion in more railroad projects over the next few years.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-06-24

Airport-Bangkok link faces further delay

The high-speed rail service between the international airport - located in the suburbs of Bangkok - and Makkasan Station was originally due to open in August, but construction delays led to a postponement.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-06-24

Hardly high speed as journey times are between 15 mins and nearly half an hour for the 28km trip.

For high speed look at the new Shanghai rail link, that is fast!

And check in at Makkasan Station has been pushed even further back too. Hopefully that will be resolved soon or the inconvenience of having to lug baggage around the station, on and off the link and into the airport will put alot off.

Suvarnabhumi Airport 3rd place on Skytrax best airport dining list

BANGKOK, 24 June 2009 (NNT) - Suvarnabhumi International Airport is placed 3rd best in the category of world's best airport dining by the annual Skytrax awards.

Suvarnabhumi Airport Director Serirat Prasutanont announced that Thailand's largest international airport received the 3rd ranking in the category of world's best airport dining behind Hong Kong Airport in Hong Kong and Changi Airport in Singapore, according to a worldwide poll by Skytrax. The poll was concluded in May with over 8.6 million individuals casting their votes on 190 airports.

Mr Serirat attributed the honor of world's best airport dining to cooperation with the King Power group of companies under the "Clean Food Good Taste" project which seeks to improve Suvarnabhumi's dining in all aspects including their aesthetic quality. The airport director noted that he has received sentiments of great contentment from travelers using the airport.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 24 June 2009

article here

Suvarnabhumi Airport 3rd place on Skytrax best airport dining list

It didn't get anywhere near the top ten best overall though. :)

Maybe it's like a Beta - use at your own risk.

Hopefully it won't crash in the first week of operation like the MRT in Bangkok did.

Govt: Airport Link subsidiary needed

The Ministry of Transport insists a subsidiary company needs to be set up to oversee the Airport Link project to ensure that it is completed on schedule. The 28.6-kilometre Airport Link will run from downtown Bangkok to Suvarnabhumi airport in Samut Prakan province.

Tthe labour union of the debt-ridden State Railway of Thailand (SRT) went on a two-day strike nationwide this week to oppose the government's rehabilitation plan, which would see two subsidiaries set up - one to run the Airport Link project and the other manage SRT's assets. The union claimed the move would lead to higher fares in the future and was a step on the road to privatisation of the state enterprise.

Transport Minister Sohpon Zarum said on Sunday the government will fully explain the need to set up this subsidiary to railway union representatives on July 1.

Continued:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/1470...bsidiary-needed

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-06-24

• 3 weeks later...

Airlines hope rail link ready on time

International airlines urged the government to ensure that the long-delayed airport link project is up and running at its latest promised date in order to complement efforts to make Suvarnabhumi Airport an air hub. "The sooner the system is opened, the better,'' said Jaiyavat Navaraj, Chairman of the Airline Operators Committee (AOC), which represents more than 80 international airlines operating through Suvarnabhumi.

The 26-billion-baht rapid transit system that stretches 28 km from Bangkok's international airport to Makkasan has suffered multiple delays. Current opposition by the State Railway of Thailand's union to setting up a subsidiary company to operate the line has created doubts about whether it can start operations by the second quarter of next year, the latest promised date.

The system will provide an efficient transport option between Suvarnabhumi and the city centre for some 50,000 passengers and 15,000 airline staff and airport workers who need to commute every day and endure the frustrations of long bus waits and unscrupulous taxi drivers, said Mr Jaiyavat.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/14...k-ready-on-time

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-07-14

• 3 weeks later...

SRT: Airport Rail Link to begin its operation in December

BANGKOK, 5 August 2009 (NNT) - The State Railway of Thailand (SRT) states the Airport Rail Link project will be in operation by the end of 2009.

From the beginning of the Airport Rail Link construction until now, SRT Governor Yuthana Tapcharoen declared that 98% of the project has been completed and currently in the examination stages, including test run, security system, control system, recruitment, facilitation, and passenger satisfaction before providing service to the general public.

Mr Yuthana reiterated that the Airport Rail Link service will be available within December 2009 and the SRT will announce its progress periodically.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2009-08-05