Samui Airport

I, and I suspect many others, love samui airport. it's unique in the very best sense of the word - the thatched roof on the terminals, the open air shuttle carts, the relaxed feel-good factor etc etc etc. the place just lights me up when I land there.

however, it's struck me on the past few occassions just how loose the security is.

eg if departing, after very amateur security scans on entry to the airport, you check-in then go back outside the airport to walk to the departure terminal.

go in the departures terminal and through another amateur security scan.

then it's on to wait in an open air departures area. after that it's on to the open air shuttle cart and away you go.

the whole airport feels exposed and there's barely a solid wall in sight.

if ever the wrong type of person would want to inflict some damage on a plane full of westerners, I'm sorry to say that - worryingly - samui airport looks like a walk in the park.

:o

We would all really like to thank you for pointing that out to all terrorists that did not realise that already! Cheers! I strongly suggest a moderator deletes this intelligent thread as soon as possible.

Cheers.

We would all really like to thank you for pointing that out to all terrorists that did not realise that already!

:o I expected a reaction like that.

I don't think the international terrorist count is very high amongst thaivisa members. ar5ehole count is through the roof, but terrorists? me thinks not.

We would all really like to thank you for pointing that out to all terrorists that did not realise that already!

I don't think the international terrorist count is very high amongst thaivisa members. ar5ehole count is through the roof, but terrorists? me thinks not.

Surprised to hear that you actually "think" !

If and when terrorists/suicide bombers decide to come to samui,they will realise they have found nirvana and they wont have to commit suicide to get to heaven and have lots of lovely ladies cos they are already here,the only thing missing will be their virginity,but then you cant everything not even in heaven.

well, that's put me in my place. :D:D:D

well, that's put me in my place. :D:D:D

just part of the fun of TV.Samui airport to my of thinking is one of the most beautiful airports around,and i doubt the terrrorists would even find it.

We would all really like to thank you for pointing that out to all terrorists that did not realise that already! Cheers! I strongly suggest a moderator deletes this intelligent thread as soon as possible.

Cheers.

I'd hazard a guess that any Terrorist that is reading a Forum, this Forum, about Koh Samui, is already fully aware of the Airport & it's dreadful Security... :o

QUOTE (Boater @ 2009-02-15 12:36:09)

this has been brought up a few times here on TV

also note it is possible to drive a car directly on to the runway at Samui Airport ( at depatures )

hard to take off in a car

lol

i was more leaning towards the fact terroist could in thoery just drive a pick up truck onto the runway when a plane is taking off or landing and boom

QUOTE (Boater @ 2009-02-15 12:36:09)

also note it is possible to drive a car directly on to the runway at Samui Airport ( at depatures )

hard to take off in a car

lol

i was more leaning towards the fact terroist could in thoery just drive a pick up truck onto the runway when a plane is taking off or landing and boom

Airport security is an emotive issue as it affects peoples lives.

Security (or lack of) at Samui airport is not an appropriate subject for this forum. No amount of pontificating will rectify it here. Furthermore it may generate unhealthy interest from the wrong people.

If there are areas which are considered to be at risk, the airport operators, in this case Bangkok Airways should be contacted in the first instance, in writing.

Cheers.

BREAKING NEWS - Terrorist Organisation gets idea from Thai Visa .....

What a tool ........ I think any terrorist organization has far better intelligence than info gathered from Thai Visa posts...

hard to take off in a car :P

:o:D:D :D :D:wai:

anyway everywhere in Thailand it would be easy, there are much more fragile targets then this airport in LOS. There on this airport I can imagine, we are quite safe ;-)

:o:D:D:D:D:wai:

anyway everywhere in Thailand it would be easy, there are much more fragile targets then this airport in LOS. There on this airport I can imagine, we are quite safe ;-)

How about any one of the large overcrowded ferries going from Samui to Koh Phangan any full moon. No life jackets and jam packed with Israelis....

How about any one of the large overcrowded ferries going from Samui to Koh Phangan any full moon. No life jackets and jam packed with Israelis....

Even more great ideas! Any hints on bomb making etc. you would like to import while you're on? What a tool !

Even more great ideas! Any hints on bomb making etc. you would like to import while you're on? What a tool !

dude get a grip ..... if I have thought about it, thousand of others have as well....

dude get a grip ..... if I have thought about it, thousand of others have as well....

Is there any point in this discussion? Are the Mods unaware of these implications! (very unusual) SBK you are normally the voice of reason.

This thread is plain bloody stupid AND dangerous!!!!

Is there any point in this discussion? Are the Mods unaware of these implications! (very unusual) SBK you are normally the voice of reason.

This thread is plain bloody stupid AND dangerous!!!!

:jerk: :burp:

absolutely right.

i thinking now is enough talked about how to make a terror-attack at the samui airport... :o

eh?

my point is that as pleasing as USM is on the eye, one of the most important aspects of any modern day airport - security - seems to have came way down the list of priorities.

some of the posters on this thread need to get laid - this is a topic on a sub-forum of a thai expat forum, not a broadcast on al-jazeera.

Gatorade:

Security (or lack of) at Samui airport is not an appropriate subject for this forum. No amount of pontificating will rectify it here. Furthermore it may generate unhealthy interest from the wrong people.

I hardly think some evildoers are sitting around thinking of what sort of terrorist act to carry out, and are stumped ...but wait! Here's something on this Internet forum board! By Allah, that's it!

It would be like advocating not posting about robberies or burglaries since it may induce "the dark side" of society to go out and rob and burgle. "You mean you can just walk into some foreigners bungalow and get a computer? Who'd have thought?"

More to the point, if you have been in airports around Southeast Asia, you will see that many are more or less simple airstrips. Siem Reap and Luang Prabang come to mind for their "rural" feel. There are many points where security is not iron-clad. I don't recall any metal detectors or X-ray machines before boarding the ferry to Donsak. And why should there be? It's not as if we are under martial law.

And what makes the OP think that Samui has "amateur security scans"? Do you think the scanning equipment is just an old, broken washing machine with a conveyor belt running through it and a photocopy of a scanned bag taped to the "screen" that the operator looks at?

So you check your bags and then are re-scanned with carry-on. I can check in my bags at LAX, walk outside to my car, come back in and go through the final scan, just like here. Just because the set-up is airier, doesn't make it unsafe.

Oh, and don't forget the moat at Samui Airport (yes, there is one on your left as you enter past the phony scanning going to the free coffee).

I always wonder when people will start to grasp that driving to the airport (especially on Samui!) is a 1000 times more probable to kill you than a terrorist attack.

I agree, but in the south they kill teachers and cut their heads....

So how about deleting the thread? In about 6 month the cached google page will be abandoned......

And do not carry a bottle of mineral water, it's a bomb, the british security idiots never fail and the world is even lissening to them...

After some years I would have toght that this ridiculus rule would be canceled without big announcments, but it seems eve Obama cannot do miracles...