Dog To England From Thailand

hi All,

My Old Mum bless her wants a shih Tzu Dog back to the U.K from Thailand. Dont ask me why but she wants one from here..

Is it plausible to send from Thailand or are the costs and time to do so long..ie. Quarantine, papers, injections transport, costs, blah blah blah! Could anyone advise me on this please.

Thanks All :o

Edited by drummachine

i feel that unless u know what u are going about doing, u should convince your mom to get one in home country. the several shitzus i saw at the vet clinic i worked at , that had been brought in from thailand, were all listed as much older then they actually were. one died at the clinic straight after landing in israel; the distraught father rushed the pup straight to us (it was to be a surprise present for his little girls after his trip to thailand); one needed intensive care for a few weeks after arriving, and form other vets we checked with, heard similar.

shitzus are the IN dog in many countries now, including thailand, and there are many puppy mill breeders who are unethical, selling pups as 8 wk olds when actually four weeks old, and as vaccinated, when in actuality, the pup was too young to have been vaccinated /or the vaccine wouldnt have actually worked.

if u do know your dogs, get a 8 wk old, have him with u for a week or so, before going out of country, and also, not sure but doesnt england have strict quarantine rules for dogs as thailand is like israel- a rabies prevalent country?

bina

israel

I was also wondering. Does the mother already have a Shih Tzu and wants to bring the dog with her to England or does she wants to buy a pup/adult dog here and then bring it to England?

If it is the first I can understand, but in case of the latter I would advice against it.

For sure the dog has to be in quarantine in England for 6 months at such a cost that it may very well be a LOT cheaper when buying (or better, adopting!!!!) a Shih Tzu in England.

6 months in quarantine for a pup is devastating for the development of its behavior.

For importing a dog into England it has to be older than 3 months, having received the rabies vaccination already.

More info here:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine...s/territory.htm

And as Bina already stated Shih Tzu's are fashion dogs. Lots of puppy mills and back yard breeding here. And although the price may not be that high, it certainly does not guarantee good physical and mental health.

There are also excellent Shih Tzu breeders in Thailand, competing on international level. You can find them at the dogshows in BKK. However, their prices are the same as of those in the West.

The travel can be traumatic for the pup/dogs, with possible behavioral problems as a result.

My 2 setang

Nienke