Fireworks/crackers Lamai

For the third night in a row some people here in north Lamai think that it's fun to disturb other people till 1.30 with crackers/fireworks. I do not care about fireworks at any day at 10 pm for 15 minutes - all fireworks shops have to make a living - but why some id... start at 8 pm with a loud bang, stop for 30 minutes, start again and keep this schedule for another five hours is beyond my understanding. Any suggestions to get this problem solved??

There were some real big ones last night -- a lot of money up in smoke.

I wondered if there was a sponsored beach party like there is from time to time. Whatever it was, it nearly made me put down my book and head into town for a look. If I had known that they would continue later, I would have. Those big ones are super cool and the other good thing is that you can enjoy them just as much (if not more so) than the person who shelled out thousands for the half minute of "bang."

As for the complaint, we do live on a holiday resort island and fun is permitted. Frankly, the fireworks are generally few and never continue very long (look at the cost of some of these things and you will know why).

The "fun" is continuing - my guests who are visiting this holiday resort island came to Lamai and not to Chaweng - assuming that Lamai offers less "fun" (noise at night!). They do not care about the money some people are blasting into the air - they care about their relaxation. When they don't get it they search for another place/another country where they might get it.

It's easy to state "we do live on a holiday resort island and fun is permitted". ...

Oh come on! Even the night before last, when someone or other was blowing his wad big time (a very rare display of sustained firepower), how long did it go on? I think the last salvo was no later than 1am if that.

How long was this horrible breach of ettiquite? Five minutes? Ten? Fifteen? Certainly no more than that.

Why not complain about the full moon shining into your bedroom and disturbing your sleep?

Unbelievably petty! :o

Occasionally in the nearby resorts, there is a wedding party where they fire off some pretty big fairground-sized fireworks. I can just see you guys marching over there...

"Hey! What the hel_l do you think you're doing? Don't you know some people are trying to watch TV over here? What? Wedding? You think that matters to me? Go get married in your own fcking country! Try disturbing your own neighbors; don't come halfway across the world to do it!"

The "fun" is continuing - my guests who are visiting this holiday resort island came to Lamai and not to Chaweng - assuming that Lamai offers less "fun" (noise at night!). They do not care about the money some people are blasting into the air - they care about their relaxation. When they don't get it they search for another place/another country where they might get it.

It's easy to state "we do live on a holiday resort island and fun is permitted". ...

Yes 1 farang spent over 100,000 baht on the firework economy in samui. He shot off half 1 day near buddy and half on lamai beach the next day. There was a large crowd on the beach enjoying the show.

I wen tto Lamai on vacation to relax but unfortunately and rather annoying some people wanted to play music loudly! next time I will stay home. (Ps said in jest but I was getting very p*ssed at the music that played until five in the morning most evenings, luckily for us there was an incident at the club so it closed down for a while)

Edited by ChangMaiSausage

• 3 months later...

Personally, I find it amusing when people spend a lot of money on fireworks. I mean don't get me wrong, I love them, but I get all the same enjoyment from watching your fireworks with none of the pesky costs....:)

Of course I have heard Thais muttering about money (literally) going up in smoke. A hundred US dollars' worth of pretty pretty bang bang that lasts 30 seconds? That's having money to burn!

Personally, I find it amusing when people spend a lot of money on fireworks. I mean don't get me wrong, I love them, but I get all the same enjoyment from watching your fireworks with none of the pesky costs.... :D

Of course I have heard Thais muttering about money (literally) going up in smoke. A hundred US dollars' worth of pretty pretty bang bang that lasts 30 seconds? That's having money to burn!

Agree, very costly and made in china, of course.

Very nice when they are fired in sequence before midnight.

Very idiots when they fire one big shot per hours...... :)

• 6 months later...

Is it just me or are there bigger fireworks available this year for sale to the public than last year?

I've seen some seriously big, festival-display size ordinance go off in the last few days.

Some of the people are (purposefully) misfiring some so that they either don't take off and explode on the launch pad, or nosedive into the drink (where they explode underwater! How cool is that?). I was wondering if one of the really big ones with the delayed crackle or fizz went off near people, would they suffer from white phosphorus burns?

Mark Wolfe wrote:

Personally, I find it amusing when people spend a lot of money on fireworks.

Yes, I looked in a shop last night and found that a single big firework can cost over 9,000 baht. That, in my opinion, is insane.

I know it is all in fun and it's your money, but it really seems like you could light some sparklers and send the rest of the money to some poor people or something.