Computer Crash

webfact

Out of the blue, my computer has shut down. When I tried to start again, I got a screen (black) which said something is is now in safe mode, because the CPU.... a lot of technical stuff - I forget the original messages - and if I want to continue, I must press F1. I pressed and everything went fine until the "Windows screen" appeared then it shut down again before log-on screen was visible. This happened twice.

I unplugged the power cable of the computer, pushed the start button 1 minute, plugged-in and now it works again.

Windows has started but I am scared that something is dead wrong with my machine.

What happened before the crash: I plugged in my headphones into an USB port and made a Skype call to another computer.

During this call, the big bang took place.

Any advice what might have happened?! Thanks a lot

WIN XP prof, SP2, 3GB RAM, Intel Core 2 CPU [email protected] GHz

If it were my computer, I'd pull out the memory modules (RAM), clean the contacts with a pencil eraser, and put them back in. Strange and inconsistent problems on computers are often caused by faulty (or poorly connected) memory modules. If the problem persists, take the memory (and possibly the whole computer) somewhere to get it checked.

Your computer appears to be overheating. If you have the computer against a wall blocking the vents or if you have not cleaned the internal fan and or case fan or the power supply fan this could be causing this as well. If you have a cat or a dog vents can get clogged easily with cat fur. The fans can be cleared with a few q-tips or if you have compressed air you can clear this out inside as well. If you are not comfortable doing this yourself you can get someone else to do it and it shouldn't cost much.

Out of the blue, my computer has shut down. When I tried to start again, I got a screen (black) which said something is is now in safe mode, because the CPU.... a lot of technical stuff - I forget the original messages - and if I want to continue, I must press F1. I pressed and everything went fine until the "Windows screen" appeared then it shut down again before log-on screen was visible. This happened twice.

I unplugged the power cable of the computer, pushed the start button 1 minute, plugged-in and now it works again.

Windows has started but I am scared that something is dead wrong with my machine.

What happened before the crash: I plugged in my headphones into an USB port and made a Skype call to another computer.

During this call, the big bang took place.

Any advice what might have happened?! Thanks a lot

WIN XP prof, SP2, 3GB RAM, Intel Core 2 CPU [email protected] GHz

Thanks guys.

that s what I thought, overheating. Because that beast showed me something on the screen with CPU and safe mode.

But even it was not a blue screen I take it serious.

I already cleaned the fans inside as good as I could but I am afraid to unlock the

CPU heatsink. So I did a little bit cleaning above and hope it helps.

Indeed the computer is squeezed into one of these ugly computer desks... with less an inch space left on each side.

Maybe I take it out from there and open the entire case?

RAM should be ok as I have replaced it entirely 2 month ago with brand new bars. But how knows.

Edited by webfact

It could also be your PSU! And maybe you take a close look at the capacitor's of the Mainboard! If some of them get an different top than others, the problem could come from there!

Yes you have an overheating problem, yes pull it out and take the side covers off, being in that small space it is just like a vaccuum cleaner pulling all the crap in and there is alot here floating around in thailand. Really sounds like your cpu fan is crapping out, hear any funny noises from inside while running ? Find some compressed air to blow everything out good and have a dust mask lol.

Yes you have an overheating problem, yes pull it out and take the side covers off, being in that small space it is just like a vaccuum cleaner pulling all the crap in and there is alot here floating around in thailand. Really sounds like your cpu fan is crapping out, hear any funny noises from inside while running ? Find some compressed air to blow everything out good and have a dust mask lol.

Find some compressed air

Does anybody know where to buy this stuff in Bkk ? Maybe available in a camera shop but I was thinking about IT 5th/fl Pantip or Fortune?

but never seen that so far.

Find some compressed air

Does anybody know where to buy this stuff in Bkk ? Maybe available in a camera shop but I was thinking about IT 5th/fl Pantip or Fortune?

Nattapong in Bangkoks China Town, Ban Mor, there you get compressed Air in an Can!

Cheers.

Find some compressed air

Nattapong in Bangkoks China Town, Ban Mor, there you get compressed Air in an Can!

Cheers.

Thanks but but even with GPS I am in doubt I will find that store because I ain't got no idea about China town... :o

Could you give please an average location where to find that store. I trust it might be easier to bring "the beast" to Pantip and have it cleanded

there but I am afraid I will end up with a diffrent computer. Got some bad experiences in the past.

What do you estimate will a global check-up and cleaning cost? It need to be done on the spot because I won't leave my PC alone...

Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks

Because that beast showed me something on the screen with CPU and safe mode.

Check your SYSTEM log file and look at the time it crashed. There might be a clue in the log as to the cause and help remove some guesswork. There is also a very good chance that the message (that you're referring to in the quoted text) will be in the SYSTEM log file.

How to View Event Logs

To open Event Viewer, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, then click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management. Or, open the MMC containing the Event Viewer snap-in.

2. In the console tree, click Event Viewer.

ref: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427

Because that beast showed me something on the screen with CPU and safe mode.

Check your SYSTEM log file and look at the time it crashed. There might be a clue in the log as to the cause and help remove some guesswork. There is also a very good chance that the message (that you're referring to in the quoted text) will be in the SYSTEM log file.

How to View Event Logs

To open Event Viewer, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, then click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management. Or, open the MMC containing the Event Viewer snap-in.

2. In the console tree, click Event Viewer.

ref: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427

Well, I found something and that was marked RED and must have occurred around at the time the big bang happened

The IP address lease 192.168.2.2 for the Network Card with network address 0017318ACBCD has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.2.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

I checked with some utilities the processer and the cooling system and that is all fine according to the returned data.

Might the above mentioned error been the culprit? I got no idea what the error message means.

Edited by webfact

Well, I found something and that was marked RED and must have occurred around at the time the big bang happened

The IP address lease 192.168.2.2 for the Network Card with network address 0017318ACBCD has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.2.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

I checked with some utilities the processer and the cooling system and that is all fine according to the returned data.

Might the above mentioned error been the culprit? I got no idea what the error message means.

Unlikely that this particular error caused your crash. If this error bothers you, assigning a static IP to the specified network card should prevent it from recurrence.

You might also download and install WhoCrashed, a crash dump analyzer that explains in plain terms what may have caused your crash. If not doing so already, you will need to enable your PC to capture a memory dump first.

Not (according to the technician ) an overheating issue but a problem within the power supply. It could not deliver the necessary Voltage, +12V according to Pantip. Was like a roller coaster ride.

Since the unit was changed the beast runs again... I even realize a better CPU temperature even on heavy workload. But this was ok before.

Edited by webfact