Recognize This Snake?

heybruce

I'm curious, does anyone know what kind of snake this is? I saw it about a half hour ago in the Hillside 3 parking lot. It was about a half meter long, and I don't think it's poisonous, though I'm not certain. Not a great picture I admit, but lighting wasn't ideal and the snake didn't want to pose.post-27091-1234888287_thumb.jpg

It is hard to tell without a closer look at the head. However, it DOES look like it has the triangle head of a viper, and all vipers are venomous. How aggressive they are is what makes them dangerous. Most vipers have a line down through the pupil of their eye.

If it was any species of cobra family it would have flattened it's head when close to humans. Cobras don't always flatten their heads, but they do so when nervous, curious or angry. These are just a few of the photos I've taken of cobras in the wild.

Spectical_Cobra_E.sized.jpg

Spectical_Cobra_1_E.sized.jpg

Ian_with_cobra_2.sized.jpg

And one when I went inside its cage to take photos.

Cobra_015.sized.jpg

The camera angle makes the head look more triangular than it really was. Head shape is why I think it isn't poisonous. I checked the internet and didn't find an exact match on markings for the many varieties of Kukris, but some were close and it was about the right size and shape (long and slender) and it was nocturnal. Since a few trees in the area are the closest thing to a natural habitat, it makes sense that this snake is a tree dweller. It was only agressive when a cat that first identified it too me got too close; the cat backed off and no one was hurt. I think the cat decided to live and let live, as I did. So long as they're not poisonous I don't mind snakes in the neighborhood. I was just surpised to find a moderate size snake in such a developed area.

Edited by heybruce

cheers for that pic (i'd already checked it) Jetset..

i knew i was right.. :o

@heybruce... this snake can be very varied in it's colouration/pattern.. but the paired brown stripes flanking the vertebral ridge, and the faint lateral stripe of one scale width, are unique for this one.. nice pic btw..

Edited by Goshawk

I'm curious, does anyone know what kind of snake this is? I saw it about a half hour ago in the Hillside 3 parking lot. It was about a half meter long, and I don't think it's poisonous, though I'm not certain. Not a great picture I admit, but lighting wasn't ideal and the snake didn't want to pose.post-27091-1234888287_thumb.jpg

The important thing is, did you whack it with a shovel and if you want it to pose for the photo, poke it in the eye with a stick. :o

Thanks for the ID, Goshawk. I like snakes, but I'm not familiar with all the species in Asia. I believe in live and let live, and the only venomous snakes I've killed were deadly tiger snakes that were in residential areas of Tasmania; and that was a long time ago. I'm not afraid of snakes, but I usually give the venomous ones their space providing they aren't somewhere they could harm someone. I'll play around with them if I have a forked stick in open country, but I leave them alone in thick brush where they have all the advantage. I've seen a few King cobras in the wild, but I won't come too close to them. They are just too large, too smart and too deadly to mess with. A couple years ago I saw a huge one swimming across Sirikit reservoir. I wanted close up photographs, but the Thai guide I was with wouldn't come any closer than 100 feet. All I got was some good video footage.

The important thing is, did you whack it with a shovel and if you want it to pose for the photo, poke it in the eye with a stick. :o

Had I thought it was poisonous I would have looked for a way to safely kill it, but I only do that when a dangerous snake is in a populated area. The rest of the time I go out of my way to avoid harming or harrassing them. Snakes have their function in the world, and I think they're cool. I used to play with nonpoisonous snakes when I was a kid, but I'm smarter now. Even the nonpoisonous ones can give you a nasty bite, and they're not known for good oral hygiene.

Last year I did see a common cobra swimming in the creek/slough outside my apartment in the outskirts of Chiang Mai, but it was gone by the time I got out my camera. Cobras are not common near the city and they DO keep down the rat population. They won't bother you if you don't bother them.

Had I thought it was poisonous I would have looked for a way to safely kill it, but I only do that when a dangerous snake is in a populated area. The rest of the time I go out of my way to avoid harming or harrassing them. Snakes have their function in the world, and I think they're cool. I used to play with nonpoisonous snakes when I was a kid, but I'm smarter now. Even the nonpoisonous ones can give you a nasty bite, and they're not known for good oral hygiene.

this guy can't get enough of them snakes. he has a taipan as a pet !

TB..

That is an impressive little video, Tigerbeer. Australian taipans can be nasty critters because they are so aggressive. You don't have to approach them to have them attack you. You just have to be in their vicinity. I've only seen two in north central Australia and both were threatening. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera handy at the time and I wasn't going to take my eyes off an aggressive snake to go searching through my packsack for the camera. Taipans can grow over 10 feet in length and it they bite you there isn't much chance of surviving.

King cobras are the only larger venomous snake and a big one will kill anyone with just one bite. This guy was over 17 feet long and had a head larger than my hand.

Cobra_071.sized.jpg

I could really feel its strength when it was around my neck.

Cobra_077.jpg

Ianforbes, nice pictures. where in thailand was that picture taken at with the cobra?

In a little village outside of Krabi. The guys were pretty friendly and allowed me to get inside the cages with some of the cobras and mangrove snakes. I got some great photos. The only cage I WOULDN'T go in was the one with a King cobra that WAS aggressive. He watched every move I made... from inside his cage. The handlers told me it was dangerous and smart... and I believed them.

This cobra actually tapped the lens of my camera when I got a little too close. It was just warning me to back off.

Cobra_012.sized.jpg

This is a mangrove snake that we pissed off to get these pictures. The handler kept it occupied while I was shooting pictures. They are venomous but not deadly.

Cobra_023.sized.jpg

Cobra_030.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Python

I'm curious, does anyone know what kind of snake this is? I saw it about a half hour ago in the Hillside 3 parking lot. It was about a half meter long, and I don't think it's poisonous, though I'm not certain. Not a great picture I admit, but lighting wasn't ideal and the snake didn't want to pose.*pic removed*

Python

:o

• 2 weeks later...

This is a mangrove snake that we pissed off to get these pictures. The handler kept it occupied while I was shooting pictures. They are venomous but not deadly.

Cobra_023.sized.jpg

Bugger me ...I was handed one of these in a market show.....don't mind snakes but didnt know it was venemous!!