Chiang Mai Mail And Chiang Mai 2nd Gay Pride

peekint

A number of posters in a closed topic in the Chiang Mai forum noted that the Chiang Mai Mail newspaper refused to provide any calendar listing or coverage of the spectacularly successful Valentine's Day fundraiser for the Chiang Mai 2nd Gay Pride event (taking place 2/21). The reasons given were some "inside" knowledge of political activity aimed against the organizing groups.

A poster suggested writing the Chiang Mai Mail and expressing your concerns with their readiness to jettison a large part of their readership based on rumour or innuendo coming from some unnamed source.

If you'd like to express your opinion, you can write the editors at

I've written the letter below, I'll bet you can do even better!:

================================================

To the Editors:

I was surprised to learn of your paper's refusal to cover the LYC-Santitham Guest House fundraiser for the Chiang Mai 2nd Gay Pride.

No matter, the Chiang Mai community was very supportive. (I do mean to omit the word "Gay" before "community" here as attendance at the fundraiser reflected support from the entire range of Chiang Mai residents - Thai and Western, Gay and straight.)

The matter to me, and others, is that it shows that your paper is not the paper of the Chiang Mai community, but rather of some repressive element of that community that has enough influence with you to entice you to impose self-censorship.

I expected this sort of thing when I lived in Hong Kong before 1997, but in Chiang Mai?

Chiang Mai mail, you've shown your true colors. They're not the red, white and blue of the Thai flag, but a bright canary yellow.

Edited by endure
Email address removed as per forum rules: 12) Due to potential spam problems, email addresses are not permitted in posts or signatures. Phone numbers are not allowed in signatures.