Driver's Education

CqK

Does anyone know where an 18 year old Thai girl can go for driver's training in KHORAT? She's not driven a car or motorbike ever. She can (and does) drive a no-speed bicycle . . . that's the extent of her 'driving'.

Does anyone know where an 18 year old Thai girl can go for driver's training in KHORAT? She's not driven a car or motorbike ever. She can (and does) drive a no-speed bicycle . . . that's the extent of her 'driving'.

Can't actually answer the question, but it's good to see someone going for driver's training. Didn't know it existed in Thailand :o

If she can ride a coaster bike, it prolly makes sense to get her an automatic transmission scooter. Easy to balance, very flickable, and she just has to learn brakes and throttle.

Good on her for doing the car training. My wife rides a scooter but won't drive a car at all - says it's too dangerous. Some days I believe her. I tell my friends back east driving in Thailand is a bit like playing dodgeball on roller skates. But I put a humongeous bull bar on the front of my Vigo, attached to the frame...just in case.

I taught my wife to drive AFTER she had been to the govt approved school because I wa s so appalled at what they did and didnt teach her. No "ON Road" training done by them at all 4-5 people had to share a car whilst learning and they never got out of 1-2 gear. I drove motorbikes from the age of 18 and cars from age 21 passing the UK test for both vehicles first time round.

She is now quite a good driver checks mirrors looks over shoulder etc before pulling off and most important keeping a safe distance although so many other idiots pull in to fill it. Teach her yourself if you can. I taught her behind Seri Centre, Bangna ,good roads to practice on.

Those people obviously tried to teach her how to 'Drive' a car , not how to correctly motivate and control it on public roads , hand signals , look over her shoulder , keep a safe distance , man , you are just too logical . A couple of points , when teaching a person to drive , once the lessons have started do not drive with them in the car until training is complete , when you have to give advice , ask the pupil to pull over and give it , keep your hands on your side of the car unless in an absolute emergency you need to take control , many just toss the keys and tell them to "Get on with it ".

From what I've seen of the way people drive here, "Driver Education" in Thailand is an oxymoron.

I say that joking (sort of) because I really wouldn't trust one Thai to teach another how to drive properly. Two wrongs definitely don't make a right in this case.

I have been told that there is a driving school near the five road junction in Korat just along from the Siri Hotel. I intend to try it out for my wife to get her licence, when she decides she is ready, and then I will start teaching her to drive. :o

I have heard that the learner can get great confidence for their ability to pass their test first time if they sit down and have a cup of tea with the instructor. :D:D

HL :D