G1 Phone In Thailand

thaisail

I just got my T-mobile USA G1 phone unlocked by paying some online unlocking service $25 on Paypal for the HTC code. I am using DTAC 20 hours of internet per month promotion which now gives 40 hours for a little over 105 baht per month. The problem is that that this new Google Android technology is not designed for limited internet access. This phone has a mind of it's own and wants to go on line all the time to sync data from the hand set to Google on line. Are there any other G1 owners out there in Thailand that would like to help a newcomer out on the ins and outs of this new technology?

I just got my T-mobile USA G1 phone unlocked by paying some online unlocking service $25 on Paypal for the HTC code. I am using DTAC 20 hours of internet per month promotion which now gives 40 hours for a little over 105 baht per month. The problem is that that this new Google Android technology is not designed for limited internet access. This phone has a mind of it's own and wants to go on line all the time to sync data from the hand set to Google on line. Are there any other G1 owners out there in Thailand that would like to help a newcomer out on the ins and outs of this new technology?

You will probably want to try a phone/pda dedicated forum like Modaco.com or maybe even xda-developers.com. I used these for my Omnia and find them to be great resources.

• 2 months later...

I just unlocked my G1 for use here in Thailand. You paid WAY too much for the unlock code! All you have to do is call t-mobile support, tell them you need the code to use your phone internationally, and they'll send you an email within 24hrs with the code; for FREE!

Now, if you want to restrict data access, use a app called APNdroid (free from the market). You can also set it to use 2G networks only by going to Settings -> Wireless Controls -> Mobile networks. There's a data roaming toggle there as well, but some apps can force your phone to use it anyways, so use APNdroid instead.

Also, if you want to use your G1 phone as a modem for your computer, look here: http://junefabrics.com/android/index.php

As ungcas stated, xda-devs is an excellent resource: http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=446

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. I've had my G1 since launch and I'm VERY familiar with it. :o

Now if I could just get Thai fonts working on the thing....

Edited by FarangLaoInter

• 1 month later...

Hello,, I just moved here from Chicago and I have had my G1 since the very first day it was released. MY GPRS/3G/2G Data service does not work here in Bangkok. Does anyone have any ideas on how to set up this G11 here in Bangkok. I am on True Move Postpaid Sim and The Data Service has been activated. I need to know what the setting Details are. IF anyone out there can tell me or direct me to a good shop in MBK, Pantip or any of the malls that can help me with this as True Move is SLOW MOVE for After Sales Service...

thanks

Spectrum Audio Thailand..

Hello,, I just moved here from Chicago and I have had my G1 since the very first day it was released. MY GPRS/3G/2G Data service does not work here in Bangkok. Does anyone have any ideas on how to set up this G11 here in Bangkok. I am on True Move Postpaid Sim and The Data Service has been activated. I need to know what the setting Details are. IF anyone out there can tell me or direct me to a good shop in MBK, Pantip or any of the malls that can help me with this as True Move is SLOW MOVE for After Sales Service...

thanks

Try Winner Telecom shop 444 om the 4th flr of MBK.

They sell unlocked G1s for about Bt20k so they will certainly know the settings.

thanks

Try Winner Telecom shop 444 om the 4th flr of MBK.

They sell unlocked G1s for about Bt20k so they will certainly know the settings.

Is that with Thai fonts installed?

I am sorry I cant help you there but my guess is that if anyone has installed Thai fonts it is them - they have something like 5 full time software engineers.

I have bought 2 iphones through them not the G1 but their software implementation was way ahead of anyone else. I think they had landscape keyboards available before the net. They certainly had their own Thai GUI which included a Thai keyboard well over a year ago. Their support for the iphone has been excellent.

I think their number is 026117028

I am using an unlocked G1 from the UK. I just got the cupcake update about a week ago and then another one yesterday.

To avoid using the internet with your simcard, just go into settings and mobile networks and unclick data roaming.

The one problem I have had is that I could not send sms, but received them ok and calls went fine. I had to change sim and phone number for txts to work.

AIS was no help at all.

What I could use is another data cable and the 3.5mm jack adapter. Know of any in Phuket (or BKK)?

thanks

Not sure about True, but the APN settings for AIS and DTAC are as follows:

AIS:

Name: whatever you want, I use AIS

APN: ais

DTAC:

Name: again, up to you. I use DTAC

APN: www.dtac.co.th

As for True I guess you could just call customer service at 1331 and ask.

!!!WARNING!!!

Unless you have an unlimited data plan your G1 will chew up your minutes 24/7 (unless you use a program like apndroid to disable 3g/edge/gprs)! I know for AIS/DTAC an unlimited plan runs about ~1000B/mo. It's cheaper than t-mobile's rates and well worth it to keep you G1 from being neutered.

UPDATE: I just found this: http://www.pangpondblog.com/true-move-iphone-apn-setting

Its the APN settings for the iPhone, but they should also work for the G1 (or any other phone). Give it a shot.

Hope it helps.

Edited by FarangLaoInter

I am using an unlocked G1 from the UK. I just got the cupcake update about a week ago and then another one yesterday.

To avoid using the internet with your simcard, just go into settings and mobile networks and unclick data roaming.

The one problem I have had is that I could not send sms, but received them ok and calls went fine. I had to change sim and phone number for txts to work.

AIS was no help at all.

What I could use is another data cable and the 3.5mm jack adapter. Know of any in Phuket (or BKK)?

Is cupcake out already??? Any links you can PM me - does it work on a rooted G1 ?

Cheers

• 1 month later...

AIS was no help at all.

Is cupcake out already??? Any links you can PM me - does it work on a rooted G1 ?

Cheers

yes. I've just updated my phone to version1.5. I did it manually through some android forums. Took me quite some time but pretty happy with the results

• 1 month later...

I am sorry I cant help you there but my guess is that if anyone has installed Thai fonts it is them - they have something like 5 full time software engineers.

I have bought 2 iphones through them not the G1 but their software implementation was way ahead of anyone else. I think they had landscape keyboards available before the net. They certainly had their own Thai GUI which included a Thai keyboard well over a year ago. Their support for the iphone has been excellent.

I think their number is 026117028

I have successfully installed Thai fonts on my G1, but you need to have a rooted phone to be able to install it, you can follow the instructions here to type the code into Terminal emulator to install the Thai fonts DIY yourself - best of all it's free! :)

Instructions: ismint.blogspot.com (It also details AIS 12call packages, if you need the info). Hope this helps you!

• 8 months later...
Im looking to buy a Google g1 so if anyone is inteerested to sell. Please contact me.

Kindest Regards

Allan

I don't know where you are located, but there are two second-hand G1 for sale in Tukcom Pattaya, one black and one white, starting price 7,500 baht "can discount"...

• 2 months later...

One of them was in the shop just in front of you as you come up the main escalator. I don't remember where I saw the other, one of the other shops on the same floor. It's a while ago now so I don't know if they are still around.

• 1 month later...