Settlemeny visa

Hi all.

My step-daughter is a 17 year old Thai girl. I applied for and got 3 Settlement Visa in February this year. My wife and 2 daughters,

My 17 year old went back to Thailand in June but now wants to come back to UK,  Can she come back with the 12 month visa issued in BKK in February 2003.

Yours Truly

fredro1UK

My step-daughter is a 17 year old Thai girl. I applied for and got 3 Settlement Visa in February this year. My wife and 2 daughters,

My 17 year old went back to Thailand in June but now wants to come back to UK,  Can she come back with the 12 month visa issued in BKK in February 2003.

She CAN come back to Thailand ONLY if she apply for a re-entry permit BEFORE she leave the Kingdom. Can be done at Immigration, Suan Pluh or at Don Muang Airport. More info here:

Re-entry permit

Application for a single re-entry permit   1,000 Baht  

Application for a multiple re-entry permit   3,800  Baht

New visa fees, 26 AUG 2003

Fredro,

Providing your step-daughter returns to the UK prior to Feb 2004 she does not require another visa. However, once back in the UK she should apply for permission to stay in the UK indefinitely. She should do this around January time.

If she finds herself in Thailand at the age of 18 with no valid settlement visa for the UK then she will NOT get another one as she will have reached the age of majority and will no longer be classed as a dependent of your wife. You would therefore find yourself in a position whereby the family is split; your wife and one step-daughter in the UK and the other in Thailand.

Once your step-daughter has been granted permission to stay in the UK indefinitely (indefinite leave to remain) she can come and go as she pleases as long as she spends no longer than 2 years outside of the UK. After 3 years she can apply to be naturalised as a British citizen.

The application for indefinite leave should be submitted to the Immigration and Naturalisation Directorate of the Home Office in Croydon, cost (for postal application) £150.00 per application. You should submit all 3 simultaneously; ie your wife's and two step-daughters', cost £450.00. Applications in person are dealt with on the day but cost £250.00 per application.

Any further questions, I'll be pleased to help.

Scouse.

Fredro,

Enculez mes vieilles bottes! I've just had a glance at your details and you live in Croydon!! Well, you've no excuse for not lodging the application on time. I'm not sure which building IND operate out of now, but it's one of those on Wellesley Road. Used to work there myself but got sick of it and decided the life of Reilly in LoS was a far better option.

Regards,

Scouse.

Can she come back with the 12 month visa issued in BKK in February 2003.

Fred / Scoucer,

Just a thought ...

Are such Visas issued for Single Entry

/ Double Entry / Multiple Entry

I suggest you check the Visa carefully.

Unless Scoucer knows that such Visas are always Multiple Entry.

Roger

Hi Roger,

In the old days a settlement visa was good for one entry and the immigration officer would then, upon arrival in the UK, place a stamp in the person's passport for one year. This stamp then allowed the person to leave and re-enter the UK as many times as they wished within its currency without having to obtain another visa.

The system has now changed in that the one year's permission to stay is now granted by the visa officer and is endorsed on the visa. The immigration officer no longer stamps the passport other than with a date stamp. However, the rules about travel remain the same. The person can leave and re-enter the UK as many times as they wish providing the visa is still valid.

NB. This applies only for visas granted for a stay in excess of 6 months. For visitors a visa may still be single or multiple entry depending upon which was requested at the time of application, and each time the applicant leaves the UK an entry is used up.

Regards,

Scouse.