My Internet Cache Doesn't Seem To Work.

TizMe

For some reason when I load a page all graphics seem to be retrieved from the internet rather than from my cache even when I have just been in the same page.

Even av-2200.jpg seems to come from the net.

Any ideas? I'm running XP and IE.

For some reason when I load a page all graphics seem to be retrieved from the internet rather than from my cache even when I have just been in the same page.

Even av-2200.jpg seems to come from the net.

Any ideas? I'm running XP and IE.

Go to 'tools/internet options/temporary internet files/settings' and you will see the options to select for when and where your browser should load from the server and when to load from the cache. If you're looking at dynamic web pages it will still mostly load from the server though. A place like this you will want to be refreshed everytime.

cv

Edited by cdnvic

How large is your cache? If you have ADSL, it shouldn't be much larger than 10 MB. I have mine set at 20 MB, but empty it frequently. If yours is set too high, your hard drive is working extra hard trying to find all the pieces to put a web page together with.

Go to 'tools/internet options/temporary internet files/settings' and you will see the options to select for when and where your browser should load from the server and when to load from the cache. If you're looking at dynamic web pages it will still mostly load from the server though. A place like this you will want to be refreshed everytime.

This is set to "Automatic". The actual page seem to load fast enough, its just the graphics that take forever. Even logo4.gifbf_new.gif and bf_nonew.gif will take too long to load.

How large is your cache? If you have ADSL, it shouldn't be much larger than 10 MB. I have mine set at 20 MB, but empty it frequently. If yours is set too high, your hard drive is working extra hard trying to find all the pieces to put a web page together with.

Mine is set to 20 as well.

Was it working fine before, or is this an ongoing problem?

If you have another browser (non-ie) on your system give it a try. If its fine that will have at least narrowed it down to the browser.

How about other files? Is everything taking a long time to download, or just images?

cv

I would recommend Firefox instead of Internet Explorer.

You can download it here:

http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firef...in〈=en-US

It is free, and handles the cache much faster and better.

...and get all the free extensions that add the functionality and flexibility that you can't even imagine while using IE. (From here: http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=1351)

Edited by RDN

Was it working fine before, or is this an ongoing problem?

It is ongoing, but seems to have been getting worse over the last few weeks.

How about other files? Is everything taking a long time to download, or just images?

Everything is fairly slow, TiT.... but these graphics in particular shouldn't need to be downloaded if they are found in cache.

I would recommend Firefox instead of Internet Explorer.

You can download it here:

http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firef...=win&lang=en-US

It is free, and handles the cache much faster and better.

I'll give it a go.

[...and get all the free extensions that add the functionality and flexibility that you can't even imagine while using IE. (From here: http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=1351)

Rightio, thanks folks.