How Can I Know A Good Dog At Jatujak?

Observe the dogs. look out for the active ones. who stands "strong" . level of curiosity. buy a rubber bal , throw it in the cage look at the reactions.

ask for shots certificates. (can be forged) Ask if you can take the dog to the vet before you buy. (know a reputable vet).

try to stay with breeds that have a certain reputation for a certain character trait ( no guarantees though)

But most of all, make sure you can take care of it, a dog can be a nice companion, but it generally requires a lot of time, care, training, free space, activity.

godd luck

The eyes are a big indicator on most animals. Listless eyes can be a sign of internal troubles not apparent on the outside. Also look to see if it has any thin spots in the coat indicating they've been caged too long, or laying down alot (due to illness).

Erwin is right regarding activity and spirit. A sick dog is not a playful dog.

cv

i got mine in chatuchak when he was a pup, i saw him one weekend and went back the following .

www.face-pic.com/sexyrencontre

i have to take him to the vet the same week , he has two problems , ears infection and cought .

got medecine and injection , now strong as a bull..

price of vet very cheap , perhaps 150 bahts a go ! close of my home .

i think if you have chance to get a dog from farm it is better , they sell dog's book with info in many places in bangkok ( but in thai ) for pedigree and farm location .

I will said dog in chatuchak are not 100% heathy but i do not think it is a big problem if you go to the vet for check up .

Me and the ex bought a dog at Chatachak market a few years back. Hes was just sittingf there and not being yappy or very playful.. The ex said she wanted him. I was like are you sure. Hes not very active. Anyway we bought him and he slept all night. But the next day he was up and about. Anyway to cut a long story short. He did have a few small problems . But we spent the money on him and now hes still fighting fit. I dont see my dog anymore but now and then i bump into the ex and always ask after him. Hes cool. I dont miss the ex. But i sure miss the dog.

I bought a dog for my wife for her last birthday. He was in a cage in Huay kwang, same thing as chutujuk. I got him out the cage and threw him a ball and he was a bit active. He took a while to get use to his new surrondings, we took him to the vet and got all the shots etc.. He's a barrel of laughs and we couldn't live without him now, but the little bastard won't stop biting me. My wife said not to buy one from Chutujak as they are just the unwanted ones from the farms, she got one from there a few years ago and it was constantly sick. I still think it's luck of the draw.

Goodluck!

With many things at Jatujak, especially living things, it's really difficult to judge their quality. For dogs, there is a big problem prevelant here in Thailand....dog owners simply don't do their homework before buying. Many dogs I see here such as Siberian Huskies, German Shepards and the like are NOT adapted to living in a tropical climate. People often find that they need to constantly keep these breeds in an air conditoned house. Small to medium short-haired dogs (like the "Mah Thai") are much better and with all the little creepy crawlies and mange that are constant threats the short haired dogs are simply easier to take care of.

As another poster mentioned, personality traits are a HUGE issue. Overbreeding of certain breeds like Golden Retrievers has made the gene pools dirty so to speak with many examples of these breeds biting children and adults or being too passive. Same goes for German Shepards...unless you buy from a reputable breeder with a solid history of having good bloodlines you're taking a big risk. Certain breeds like the Bull Terrier are natural fighting dogs and would wreak havoc on other pets and sometimes even your neighbors. Buying a dog is like buying a used car...ALWAYS investigate before you put your money on the table.

Lastly, people often own dogs that are simply not suited to their lifestyles. A person living in a high rise apartment on the Chao Phraya River won't have much room for a working type dog like a Siberian Husky. The poor dog will go nuts in a small space with no attention and no sleds to pull. Bangkok in particular has few spaces where a dog that likes to roam/hunt would be happy and the few grassy areas that are available are often crowded with people. Perhaps a small dog or even a cat would be the best for most Bangkok folks. Cats more or less take care of themselves and don't require much space to roam around in.

Very often, these cute exotic puppies grow up to be big dogs only to be tossed out into the streets once the novelty wears off and end up adding to the population of street dogs out there. Good luck in your dog hunt and it looks as if the weekend market is not the place to shop. :o

i would like buy a small dog at jatujak

but how can i know it is a good health or not.

Don't buy from Chatujak, buying from there only supports the low life pricks who sell animals in such terrible surroundings, and encourages them to keep selling there. I'd suggest buying from a breeder or someone who has kept their dogs in more reasonable surroundings.

Yes, I wouldn't buy another dog from JJ anymore.

My first one I bought at JJ was a dobermann. I bought him cause he was brown and rare to find in Thailand (6 years ago). However I had so many problems with his health. He had a hole in his stomach. Doctors told me that this was due to drugs that they give the animals at JJ to act healthy and playfull.

The total doctors bill would have allowed be to import one from Europe.

After not having learned enough I bought another dog a year later. Golden retriever. It had a pedigree and all injection. Ha!!!

5 days later he got sick. Parvo! The injection card showed that he was given injections however the doctors warned that it was impossible cause he was way to young. Died 5 days later!

Its also funny to hear the doctors at the Vet. Everytime I show up with a new puppy the ask me where I bought it. If I say: at JJ they always shake their heads.

Well, I have not bought another dog from JJ and will not do so anymore. Got 8 dogs now so I guess its enough.

By the way, some of the "tricks" (for lack of a better word) used by the SOB's in JJ and most other markets are

1: Inducing (with injections and orally) a pregnant dogs pregnancy early, so the pups are born premature, thus they are extremely small (cute for thais), however the complications are endless not to mention the other side effects etc and the fact that only a heartless baap #### would do it

2: Cross bredding with little or no regard for the complications that the cross breeds suffer