Aircon Needed - Which One ?

torrenova

I need a new aircon for a house in Buriram. Just for the bedroom, about 16sqm I think, not too big.

Don't want or need to spend a fortune but what are the best current options ? The quieter the better.

Also, is it usual for the people you buy it from to install it or not ?

Torrenova,

Looks like you will be busy. Tanks, pumps and now an aircon. You have lived in several houses you said on another posting. You should have some idea about AC that have been there. There are a myriad of brands to choose from.

LG seems to be very popular as I think one of the less expensive units. Panasonic I hear is among the quietest but can be expensive. Most places that sell AC also install it as part of the price. I would stick with the shops that sell AC and not buy from a Big C or Carrefour type place.

A 12,000 btu unit for that size room should be about right but I don't know the room such as windows, doors, ceiling and other parameters that will affect operation

We got Mitsubishi Electric - Mr Slim air con units, they are great but not the quietest I've personally experienced, not the slimmest either, but quite happy with the choice.

When it came to purchasing them, we had the option of getting them from the local authorised air con supplier/shop which included installation or from someone selling them about 2,000 baht cheaper in the market with no installation. Obviously we went with the local supplier, who not only installed the units, but also offered free cleaning four time in the first year. The difference between the best internet price I found and the local supplier price wasn't much either.

I need a new aircon for a house in Buriram. Just for the bedroom, about 16sqm I think, not too big.

Don't want or need to spend a fortune but what are the best current options ? The quieter the better.

Also, is it usual for the people you buy it from to install it or not ?

If you are after a good one,LG has made many improvements and are generally good.

If you are after the best one, Panasonic is the best regarded brand in Japan.

I have Dailkins in both Bangkok and Japan homes. They are a bit cheaper but reliable and energy efficient. The Daikin company is mostly oriented towards shopping malls and big venues airconditionig, entered the retail market a few years back.

As anything "Made in Japan" these days, very good and competitive.

I have air con units from three different manufacturers. Mitsubishi, LG and Samsung. No hesitation is saying LG is by far the best unit. Got the LG in my office, on 12 hours a day, never a problem and can hardly hear it. Got the Mitsubishi in my bedroom, actually not bad though a little more noise than the LG. Avoid Samsung like the plague, very loud unit, it was a quick buy from Big C in Buriram as I wouldn't wait a couple of days to get the LG in. Buying from Big C in Buriram includes installation with the price.

I know I wont get agreement here, but I bought a Hair 12000 BTU at Big C about a year ago.. Everyone had to get their digs in ...but it was 8000 baht, and has an extra ionizer in it which really takes smells out of the air quickly. Its worked great, its quiet and cheap. Same warranty as the big boys. It comes out of China, and the brand is popular over there.

I caught the sale that they had to introduce their brand of Air cons to Thailand.. now I see the same unit at 16000 baht.. Though they have some sales here and there now at 12000 baht.

8000 baht was installed and serviced for one year.

All of the brands have several different "grades" or model levels for split system a/c units. I've gotten the LOWEST written prices and excellent service on several brands from Buriram Supply near the Bamboo Bar. The installation was clean in two homes and follow up service and cleaning went without a hitch. Some shops in Biriram and Satuk try to sell at full pop list, while Buriram Supply will gladly sell at less than the suggested list. The Daikin Inverter and Panasonic Inverter models are much quieter than the LG, Samsung, Mitsubishi, and Amena standard models we have installed.

One thing any good a/c shop COULD do, and Buriram Supply did at no extra charge, was to install the piping and wires into our walls PRIOR to any rendering. They also worked with our local Buriram builder to insure all the compressors were "hidden" from street view and are sheltered from the sun and rain. They made sure the drainage pipes were well thought out in advance. While Big C or Makro might offer installation, I think there is real value in getting a lower price, being offered a wider selection and being able to conduct business with the OWNER of a long established shop that will be in business for follow up service. Plus English is spoken and understood at Buriram Supply by the owner and he will give you his mobile phone number if you have a question. He did not cut any corners on the quality or size of the piping materials.

Air conditioning is easy to compare prices, unlike many items in Thailand, since a/c has specific model numbers. Buriram Supply also did a professional job for a very modest fee to move two a/c units from our rental home to our purchased home. For the size room you mention you will have MANY choices both standard and inverter of most brands.

Thanks for the replies so far.

I know there is a myriad of options but it is personal experience I value most highly and I thank you for your comments.

I don't know jack about aircons except for the following:

1) the bigger the area the more BTU (size / capacity I presume).

2) inverter models seem to cost way more - why ? is it worth it ?

3) it can be mounted opposite the bed above a window with easy access to outside (distance).

4) I cannot protect it from the sun for all the day. I can for the afternoon.

I see no need to spend mega bucks as this place will only be used a few months a year and for at least 6 months a year we don't need aircon here.

Anyone got a decent web link ? (in english).

Inverter duty is important if the unit is oversized (to accommodate the hottest day or to quickly pull down temperature when you come home). If the unit is grossly undersized, it doesn't help any.

You need more capacity if you have worse sun exposure or less insulation.