Thailand Hopes New Cocktail Can Lure Back Tourists

oevna

Samuian isn't it the Mojito for Hemmingway???

Now I am getting really confused!

There is one episode where he was met by another scribe and he was very much "over the fence" when the bar tender meant he had his fortieth daiquiri!

And yes, regarding Thai-national-Cocktail there are plenty of Choices... as Lao Kao and red or green Fanta! :o

Think we have to come up with a Thailand Cocktail competition... or in that case the TAT should... win a trip to Thailand!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

FOLLOWUP: I tried one of these

I recorded the ingredients and preparation instructions as best I could from the numerous news articles that turned up in my web searching, and brought them to my friend who owns a Thai restaurant in my home town. His restaurant also has a fully-stocked bar, and the kitchen had all of the required spices.

It wasn't too busy at 5pm on a Sunday evening, so I asked him if he had heard of the drink. He hadn't, but was willing to give it a try.

Conclusion: It was pretty good! Nothing to run all the way to Thailand for, but now I don't even have to do that.

I used the recipe from the Tourism Authority of Thailand News Room web site:

Siam Sunray Cocktail Recipe

Ingredients

• 30-40 ml. of Smirnoff vodka
  • 30 ml. of coconut liqueur
  • 15 ml. of syrup
  • ¼ cm. of Thai chilli pepper
  • 3 slices of young ginger
  • 1 Kaffir lime leaf
  • 3 slivers of lemon grass
  • 3 drops of lime juice
  • Soda water

Preparation:

• Crush the small Thai chilli pepper, young ginger, Kaffir lime leaf, and lemon grass together in a shaker to bring out the aroma and flavour of the Thai herbs.
  • Add syrup, lime juice, Smirnoff, and coconut liqueur, and shake well.
  • Strain into a glass with ice; top up with soda water; garnish with chilli, lemon grass and a slice of lime.

Well easy to ban this one for Songkran since 1/3 of the ingredients

are banned as hazardous for plants. Just call me and eggplant

and not a farang and I can never have one.

But the ban is only on Thais buying alcohol, and the drink is meant for farangs, so no problem, right? This Songkran is going to be a circus.

I don't plan on being in Thailand this in April anyhow, so it's all moot as far as I'm concerned!

I still think the base alcohol should have been Sangsom. And it could have been called the Sangsom Stinger. Now that would have been something to write home about.

TheWalkingMan

Siam Sinker

So has anyone seen this drink anywhere yet? Besides Oevna having a friend make it, that is.

And don't worry, mc2, Sriracha John is kind of an overzealous, judgemental voluntary policeman on this forum. He really should get a work permit for that, as he's working illegally. :o

But yes, because you made a silly little joke we should e-persecute you and never take you seriously again. Remember, this forum is serious business. No jokes allowed. :D

Edited by Jimjim

I still think the base alcohol should have been Sangsom. And it could have been called the Sangsom Stinger. Now that would have been something to write home about.

That sounds good and could easily be a repackaging of the name of the pre-existing and already famous Sangsom Bucket

424891-I-celebrated-my-panther-tami.jpg

although... it needs to come with some sort of Public Health warning about its effects...

sangsom_small.jpg

*and no, that's not me*

So has anyone seen this drink anywhere yet? Besides Oevna having a friend make it, that is.

This is a Siam Sunray:

siam-sunray.jpg

And don't worry, mc2, Sriracha John is kind of an overzealous, judgemental voluntary policeman on this forum. He really should get a work permit for that, as he's working illegally. :o

But yes, because you made a silly little joke we should e-persecute you and never take you seriously again. Remember, this forum is serious business. No jokes allowed. :D

I enjoy a joke as much as the next person...probably more, but when the topic thread is serious (and this one isn't, for example), I am bothered by the recent onslaught of those people with a disingenuous and dishonest background.

but don't worry too much about my presence here... I'm leaving very soon.

Maybe they will sell faster if they give away a free bargirl with each order?

Like a complementary swizzle stick, to keep the drinker properly stirred up.

Depending on where you order it, that may be possible to arrange!