Pet Dislikes In The Use Of English In Forums

Hanimal

After using the internet for many years now, I have noticed one common error that crops up in thousands of posts in English forums (fora) everywhere. That is the use of the word 'lose.' The number of people who use the word loose (= not tight) instead of lose drives me nuts every time I see it. The phrase 'I am loosing it' used instead of I am losing it is enough to push my blood pressure up. It is not simply a case of being anally retentive as I use US, with its more relaxed usage, or British English depending on which forum I am responding to, however, it seems that there are so many 'English teachers' in thaivisa you would think someone would have pointed this out before!

Does anyone else have any pet hates regarding common errors in English that crop up frequently here? Is this really something we should be careful of, in the case of native speakers, because the Thai members are obviously going to believe that we don't even know our native language?

Edited by Hanimal

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After using the internet for many years now, I have noticed one common error that crops up in thousands of posts in English forums (fora) everywhere. That is the use of the word 'lose.' The number of people who use the word loose (= not tight) instead of lose drives me nuts every time I see it. The phrase 'I am loosing it' used instead of I am losing it is enough to push my blood pressure up. It is not simply a case of being anally retentive as I use US, with its more relaxed usage, or British English depending on which forum I am responding to, however, it seems that there are so many 'English teachers' in thaivisa you would think someone would have pointed this out before!

Does anyone else have any pet hates regarding common errors in English that crop up frequently here? Is this really something we should be careful of, in the case of native speakers, because the Thai members are obviously going to believe that we don't even know our native language?

You should be careful, ' Hypertension can be fatal !!

:o:D

You should be careful, ' Hypertension can be fatal !!

:o:D

Agreed. My post won't change anything, but it felt good to get it off my chest.

You have to remember that English is not the first language of many forum members.

What is language for? I think that the main purpose is for communication and as long as the reader understands, it really doesn't matter about the odd missteak.

With all that's wrong in the world and badly written English is the thing which winds you up. SAD PEOPLE! Get a life or at least a hobby.

OH and I hope the standard of the English met with your approval ?

I see you're very busy with your life at 15.22 on a Sunday afternoon. :o

With all that's wrong in the world and badly written English is the thing which winds you up. SAD PEOPLE! Get a life or at least a hobby.

OH and I hope the standard of the English met with your approval ?

I presume you only chat on fora about Thai politics (and you do not vote in Thailand, so who is sad?) or starvation in Africa (and you do not donate 10% of your salary to fight starvation) or wars in the Middle East (and you did not sign up for the military or stand for a political post to resolve those issues)? You have no other hobbies? This is a pet peeve post and as such, is minor in the global sense of things. However, why bother to read and post a reply? I can only assume it is to make yourself feel grand. I hate it when people make topics that are of interest to others a personal attack zone - so there is another pet peeve!

You have to remember that English is not the first language of many forum members.

What is language for? I think that the main purpose is for communication and as long as the reader understands, it really doesn't matter about the odd missteak.

I fully agree that language is simply a means of communication. That is why I accept that non-native speakers may make the odd mistake. However, the misuse of lose and loose is common among native speakers and the words have very different meanings. "Did you loose a shoelace?" and "Did you lose a shoelace?" could pass as two different meanings, leading to the reader not understanding, but 'odd missteak' could not be taken as anything but humorous. Anyway, I just felt that so many native speakers making this mistake globally implied something about non-native speakers picking up bad habits.

Hanimal, we discuss this frequently. Welcome to ThaiVisa. For many posters, this is a leisure activity, not a test in English spelling and grammar. In the Teaching sub-forum especially, the so-called "grammar Nazi's" are discouraged from attacking. We also go lightly on those of us with poor handk kcoorinatikonnnn

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig?

Edited by scottyd

However, the misuse of lose and loose is common among native speakers and the words have very different meanings. "Did you loose a shoelace?" and "Did you lose a shoelace?" could pass as two different meanings, leading to the reader not understanding, but 'odd missteak' could not be taken as anything but humorous. Anyway, I just felt that so many native speakers making this mistake globally implied something about non-native speakers picking up bad habits.

believe it or not. i'm a non-native speaker and never made the lose/loose mistake earlier. but after 2½ years participation in Thaivisa i got so confused that i have to think for a few seconds "is it loose or lose?" :D

i can fully understand that the common mistakes committed by native speakers must be an eyesore for other native speakers. but can you imagine what impact these mistakes have on us non-native ones? :D

ze komforting zing is zat i am now a bitt yewsed to zese mistakes und i take zem vizz a grain of salt und a littel smile :o

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig?

psot of the day , vrey itneretsnig ! :o

Bath and Bhat instead of Baht.

Yes, even worse, Bhat means scribe in Sanskrit, so a double language whammy there.

my pet irk is people who use subjective transliterated thai to discuss the thai language, when quite simply you could just write บาท and be done with it.

psot of the day , vrey itneretsnig ! :o

that's right, we look for patterns.

the same goes for reading thai script, after a while you don't notice the lack of spaces and the order/wrapping of vowel and consonant structures, you just recognize common patterns.

I used to have what I considered to be excellent english. After years on the internet now I find myself questioning how to spell :o and use the correct grammar. Worst of all, and this will really raise your blood pressure OP, I'm a qualified english teacher! Fortunately I do not and have never taught formally.

My pet peeve focuses on the misspellings of Thai place names -- yes, the English transliterations are all debatable -- so that it makes it hard to find all/most references in a search. Same goes for other important key words that you would use for a search term.

And yes, "would of" instead of the correct "would have" shocks me. How can a native English speaker commonly make this mistake?

Agree, loose and lose are common ones. Also affect and effect, advice and advise. And non needed pluralising, eg in the news forum the post about the ceremoney to remove bad lucks, or ordering equipments.

And yes, Kia kaha, it would be easier to write บาท or ฝรัง, but this is an English language forum and a knowledge of written Thai isn't a requisite. (Don't get me started on long term residents not bothering to learn though). It's therefore best to stick to the correct English translations of baht and farang. Mā te aha I tēnā

If you think it's always that easy and fun, try this...

"Miittluvraae asilyans sattes an idtenossiy ctuoonr epilsle is the itternoiecsno of a panle pleralal to the xl-yapne and the sruacfe of a btiiarave nmarol dbttiisruein."

And yes, "would of" instead of the correct "would have" shocks me. How can a native English speaker commonly make this mistake?

Not all English speakers pronounce the "H" (Would've) and so the 2 words effectively join together and so sounds like "Wouldov".

ze komforting zing is zat i am now a bitt yewsed to zese mistakes und i take zem vizz a grain of salt und a littel smile laugh.gif

Naam, most of the time you are really serious, we don't see your sense of humour too much. :o

As for the Thai word "Baht", I'm really not sure what the correct transliteration is as the ท in many words is transliterated as th. But it does seem that Baht is the accepted transliteration.