Request True End User Help

night_rider

I've considered establishing an IP phone in my home country - US - and bringing it with me to Thailand so that no tariffs would be assessed on the calls. The IP phone would be a local call for my US family to a US number and then route to my IP phone in Thailand. One of my concerns with this idea is network latency or how long it takes the voice packets to make their way to Thailand.

Simply out of curiosity I was hoping some existing True subscribers might run a quick ping to the IP phone retailers server and post the log here. Please also state whether you have the residential or turbo version of True. Instructions are below. Thanks in advance.

... then do this simple test: please go to , Start > Run > command and type

ping -t proxy.packet8.net

Let it run for a minute or two and look at the round-trip time of the packets, are they going up and down significantly? (they should be around the same number each time the measurement prints out). Is there any spike in the round-trip times? If yes, there is jitter on your connection. Stop the test ( Ctrl+C) and look at the brief results to see if there is any packet loss, also please look at the min/avg/max round-trip time of the packets as well. If there is any packet loss and if the level of the jitter is high you need to contact your ISP. Also if the avg time > 300 ms you will notice and experience that same latency in your Packet8 calls.

Well I gave it a go, just for fun and:

Packets sent = 92 (I have a short attention span)

Packets lost = 0

Minimum round trip = 225 ms

Maximum rount trip = 290 ms

Average = 228 ms

Almost all pings fell between 226-230 ms, it was very consistent, no spikes (the 290 maximum was an anomaly, the only one 'out there').

Well I gave it a go, just for fun and:

Packets sent = 92 (I have a short attention span)

Packets lost = 0

Minimum round trip = 225 ms

Maximum rount trip = 290 ms

Average = 228 ms

Almost all pings fell between 226-230 ms, it was very consistent, no spikes (the 290 maximum was an anomaly, the only one 'out there').

Many thanks Crushdepth. Those are encouraging numbers. A bit high for gaming or ip phone to US servers but still within the limits of the provider.