Us - East Cost Road Trip

Ducati

This July will be taking the family to the US for an east coast road trip, starting in NY and then driving our way down to Florida. We did a road trip a couple of years ago on the west coast and stayed in a number of Best Western hotels which we booked only a few days before we left.

This time I have some time to plan a little better......is there any special deal that a hotel chain (e.g Best Western) have that anyone has experienced?....ie concentrate my accomodation spend for the entire trip on the same hotel chain....

Any advice welcome....

• 3 weeks later...
This July will be taking the family to the US for an east coast road trip, starting in NY and then driving our way down to Florida. We did a road trip a couple of years ago on the west coast and stayed in a number of Best Western hotels which we booked only a few days before we left.

This time I have some time to plan a little better......is there any special deal that a hotel chain (e.g Best Western) have that anyone has experienced?....ie concentrate my accomodation spend for the entire trip on the same hotel chain....

Any advice welcome....

I Have done the New York to Florida Drive many times ( I own homes both in NY and FL), i , takes about 18 Hrs( NY to Orlando)and it is all done on I 95. try to time your trip in such a way that you will not be in the Washington DC area during morning or end of the day traffic. As far as hotels are concerned, the best thing to do is to stop at one of the rest areas in the highway and get a Travel book, ( they are provides for free) they have hundred of discount coupons for Hotels and other activities.

Good Luck and have fun. :o

Any advice welcome....

If you are with family, especially younger children, perhaps you may want to consider taking a slow journey and camping out along the way. It would be something unique that perhaps they haven't done before. Here is a web link to search for campgrounds:

http://www.parksandcampgrounds.com/campgro.../usa/index.html

Rather than stay in a typical hotel room (limited to bed, shower, TV and internet), my suggestion would be to look for something like an Extended Stay America or similar hotel, which are typically moderately priced, have a weekly rate, and the rooms have a full kitchen with fridge, stove, utensils, microwave, etc. They are all over the place on the east coast. It's a good way to travel economically and also eat grocery food instead of going to restaurants every day.

Something else to consider is rather than driving the interstate highway system the whole way down, you may want to consider driving Highway 1/1A. It's quite a bit slower for sure, but can also be quite scenic and the Highway 1A branches off Highway 1 typically go out to the seashore areas. It's a matter of how much time you have and what the family is interested in doing. There are a lot of things to see such as the 8-mile Chesapeake bridge/tunnel system going across the bay, the various sea dune parks in Maryland, Virginia and the Carolinas, Myrtle Beach, old southern towns like Charleston SC and Savannah GA, the several mile long drive-on beaches in Daytona/New Smyrna, NASA Cape Canaveral, etc.