Financial Services Guys

bkkjames

I see it's this time again where a new crop of trainees gets handed the same old lists of targets.

Without exagerating, over the last 4 working days I have had 4 companies calling me with the same old bs routine, they call up the office and ask what are the names of the farangs working there, then they call back asking for me by name and usually something like..

"Hi I am John,,,, from (some company that sounds legit but never heard of like Carter Sullivan, Bernier Exec Services etc) and we have one of our consultants in your building this afternoon and would like to drop by to present our products and services."

Sometimes they even try the old - "Your name was referred to by one of our clients" to which I reply who??.

Now I am for anyone trying to earn a buck but please if you want to get my business do a little work like find my email or office address - take the time to send me your info - and if I am interested I will call you.

This probably goes against all you have been told by your bosses but the fact of the matter remains customers today do not like hardselling. The problem is that these guys they have on the phone are there only to get a name of a farang - they are not interested in anything else like my ability to invest for example. It's a pushy tactic and I for one won't stand for it.

So if any of you guys out there see a James on your list - forget about it!

I would normally say "Rant Over" at this point but no....does anybody actually buy / invest with these cowboys?

"Now I am for anyone trying to earn a buck but please if you want to get my business do a little work like find my email or office address - take the time to send me your info - and if I am interested I will call you."

Next time give them your e mail address...... maybe you will find some of them can help you, but I guess your millions are safer under the matress :o

I took a meeting recently and although did not invest I did learn there are some reputable companies which give the others a bad name, as well as some great opportunities. We are in tough times and am I the stupid one for ignoring a free opportunity to have my finances looked at? The advice given allowed me to learn how to protect the assets which I have.

Maybe you should call their bluff sometime and give them a chance...... if they can prove they are reputable before the meeting

"Now I am for anyone trying to earn a buck but please if you want to get my business do a little work like find my email or office address - take the time to send me your info - and if I am interested I will call you."

Next time give them your e mail address...... maybe you will find some of them can help you, but I guess your millions are safer under the matress :D

I took a meeting recently and although did not invest I did learn there are some reputable companies which give the others a bad name, as well as some great opportunities. We are in tough times and am I the stupid one for ignoring a free opportunity to have my finances looked at? The advice given allowed me to learn how to protect the assets which I have.

Maybe you should call their bluff sometime and give them a chance...... if they can prove they are reputable before the meeting

Each to each his own, but I will follow Jack Nicklaus' lead "when was the last time someone called you up to give you something?" (the reason why this multi millionaire doesnt use a mobile phone).

UPDATE : One of the guys that called me last week who I subsequently said NO to (kept pushing this sportdrink stock on the NASDAQ - up another 9% this week bla bla bla) had another guy - his superior I guess - call me again this afternoon just 20 mins ago. Needless to say, I won't be investing in the US or any stock market anytime soon.

Why can't they call up and just say "I am such and such and was wondering if I could send you some info on our services?" instead of the usual 10 mins of BS (vague talk) and then try to set up an appointment. Do they not know that most businessmen are busy people? I understand it's a number game to them but really I am getting sick of them pushing something I don't want.

Anyways, I would be glad to have someone come on here and tell me that broker xxx made them a million dollars and he highly recommends them. :o

Fair comment, I thought you were referring to a financial advisor rather than some broker trying to sell particular stocks. Someone tried that on me then they would get the same response.... GOODBYE

In terms of someone actually reviewing my finances and giving me advice rather than blatantly selling a single product for no gain than probably their own then I am open to listening. The other type are just a bind for everyone.

Fair comment, I thought you were referring to a financial advisor rather than some broker trying to sell particular stocks. Someone tried that on me then they would get the same response.... GOODBYE

In terms of someone actually reviewing my finances and giving me advice rather than blatantly selling a single product for no gain than probably their own then I am open to listening. The other type are just a bind for everyone.

Actually I was referring to both.

You see, if I was looking for greater returns than those I am currently getting, suffice to say I would start asking around various companies and institutions to see what options are out there.

But these unsolicited snake oil salesmen have not been requested by myself so essentially they are pushing something I don't want or need.

If they want to change this perception, perhaps they should change the working methodology - in my eyes at least. But it's a free world and do realise that some people just like to have someone to talk to. :o

For the record, I don't take the little brochures and flyers the locals try to pawn off on me as I walk down the street or to the bts etc either. Not requested, not wanted and 99.9 / 100 not needed. You want to buy a suit?

Someone who reviews your finances ,Is selling you a product ,perhaps in a more dishonest way ,by using a free review of your finances to hide a product they are selling ,in the end these people need to sell something to make a dollar,

Now why would you let some clown who cold calls you look at your personal finances , and if you did ,you would have so much conflicting information you would not know where to start

without having a go you have to be fairly low down the food chain in a company if these guys can get through to you on your phone or email. Work hard , rise a bit higher up and then all those pesky calls and emails get screened away by your PA. Thats what you pay em for.

without having a go you have to be fairly low down the food chain in a company if these guys can get through to you on your phone or email. Work hard , rise a bit higher up and then all those pesky calls and emails get screened away by your PA. Thats what you pay em for.

2nd mate, but unfortunately our secretary cant speak farang despite my repeated yelling at her!!! :o

but your attempt to either 1) take the piss on me in a condescending way or 2) trying to stick up for this industry (are you one of them?) is both pathetic and certainly in keeping with someone with a screenname of a saleman who hasn't got the balls to actually network for leads, meet people face to face and requires a farang fresh off the plane to do your dirty work.

Edited by bkkjames

Tell them you are very interested as you just happen to have 250k usd lying around. Ask them to brief you fully on their offer and possibilities and also to include full description and history of their company. When the bloke starts talking, leave your phone on the desk but connected and go for a cigarette/coffee/beer. Usually they are not there when you return 15 to 30 mins later and most of them won't call you back for a while.

Tell them you are very interested as you just happen to have 250k usd lying around. Ask them to brief you fully on their offer and possibilities and also to include full description and history of their company. When the bloke starts talking, leave your phone on the desk but connected and go for a cigarette/coffee/beer. Usually they are not there when you return 15 to 30 mins later and most of them won't call you back for a while.

I actually did that six months ago when I got a call on my unlisted home number. Haven't had a call at home since. Work number though... :o

Yes, agreed they are a pain. Our secretary is now quite good at screening them, so we now only get two or three a month that successfully get through (used to be almost daily). Just make sure she's briefed to ask for the name and company name of anyone who calls - despite when you said this:

some company that sounds legit but never heard of
they usually do give a genuine company name; if you remember any names you've been given, do a bit of Googling and you'll usually find an (often crap) web site confirming the entity exists. Now, whether it is a 100% legal company, and whether or not the farrang on the phone has a work permit, is a different matter...

Why do you people even waste more then 10 seconds on these phone calls? As soon as I realize what they are, I politely say “not interested” and hang up. I certainly have never listened long enough to find out they were pushing a particular stock of fund.

TH

I realised that after my original and subsequent posts - I could have been more constructive in my rant. Therefore, please allow me to provide all of you out there considering getting into / or already employed in the financial services industry with a few phone skills.

Hello (prospect)

Good afternoon my name is Jim from XYZ Company Ltd and the reason for my call today is to introduce our company in case you may wish to take a closer look at our services now - or in the future.

(Do not say, "Hi I am Jimmy from xxxx fancy company name ltd and I was wondering I one of our sales team, who happens to be in the area, can stop by your office for 20mins today to present blablabla")

Our company, XYZ limited has been in Thailand XX years and we provide financial services to expats looking to for investment and savings alternatives. On that note, I don't want to take up anymore of your time and was wondering if I could send some company information and follow up with you in a couple weeks time?

No thank you (prospect)

ok, thank you for taking the time and should you need anything in the future please do keep us in mind. Good bye.

(Do not say, oh may I ask why you are not interested etc etc)

Yes, ok (Prospect)

Wonderful, would you prefer to recieve our information in soft or hard copy.....

Thank you very much for your time and interest in our company and if there is anything else you require or have any questions my direct line is...

*Unlike selling Ice Cream that people see, get hungry and buy, financial services, insurance and other less emotionally charged goods and services need to be sold less aggressively and certainly in away that goes beyond "I want it now" consumer purchasing behaviour. Most people I know don't sit at their desks and go "hmm I think I want to buy shares today cause I am feeling aggressive".

In other words - slow down! People with money to invest didn't get this way by acting impulsively.

Now for all these tips, you can forward 1% of your commissions to me at:

Bkkjames

Co

TV.com :o

I realised that after my original and subsequent posts - I could have been more constructive in my rant. Therefore, please allow me to provide all of you out there considering getting into / or already employed in the financial services industry with a few phone skills.

Hello (prospect)

Good afternoon my name is Jim from XYZ Company Ltd and the reason for my call today is to introduce our company in case you may wish to take a closer look at our services now - or in the future.

That's as far as they get with me, the phone is already on its way down.

:o

TH