Torrent Still Below 100kb/s Bangkok All Isp

hellavagi

I know many has posted about torrent speed, but I've kept reading that people get 200-300kb/s for their torrents. I usually only get 70-90kb/s in bangkok while I can get up to 400 in Chon Buri. I've been using torrents for years in the US and thought I was an experienced user, that is till I came to Thailand. I have set everything in uTorrent like I'm supposed to. I have True 2Mb (throttled) at one place, and ToT 2Mb about a block down the street. I get the same speed for both...the speed of suck. I also have TTT 2Mb premium at Chon Buri, and that one goes pretty fast. My international speed to US (Austin, TX...hometown :o) is about 1-1.5 Mb. On some really rare occasions I can get 200+ in BKK, but currently I can get Rapidshare to go faster. So what am I missing, please help. I miss my 10Mb cable connection T_T

My uTorrent settings are:

connections >

-port foward ok, and it's green

-enable NAT and Add firewall exception are checked

Bandwidth >

-global upload limit 92, nothing checked

-global download limit 0

-global max connection 600

-number of peers 600

-#upload per slot 20, use additional slots checked

BitTorrent >

-everything except limit local peer checked

-encryption enabled, allow incoming legacy checked

I think that's everything.

I get up to 270 kb/s on popular torrents but of course if it's an older torrent then you may be lucky to get even 50 kb/s.

I am using True 2MB at the moment and this is what works for me:

Global upload limit could be your major problem. Try reducing to 20 or 30. Only run a maximum of 4 torrents at the same unless they are all older torrents with few active seeds. Reduce max connections to 300, peers to 150, uploads to 5-10. Test on a new busy torrent e.g. try the latest ep. of Chuck this time tomorrow night.

Set the following limits:

global upload speed = 60% of your ISP given upload speed and divide it by 8 to convert to KiloBytes/second

global max connection = 100

number of peers 100

No home grade router can support 600 simultaneous connections.

Make sure you uncheck Enable uPnP port mapping in the torrent program when you did port forward in the router.

Edited by trogers

Thanks for the replies. Without making any changes, I was torrenting the latest ep of Heroes and 24, both were going about 80 at most. About 7pm, it started going about 150. It went back down to below 100 after a couple of hours (but at least that was long enough th get my shows). The settings I posted were settings I read on another thread. Usually I just use the uTorrent speed guide and it does well with the settings. Right now, after making the suggested changes, I have Chuck running, at 10:30pm and it's going about 80 and now it's going about 50-60 (11pm). The highest I've seen torrents here in BKK was just one night at 7pm, on True I was getting about 200. I don't know if there's a certain time slot that's best for torrents or what. I've been messing with torrent settings for a while now, lowering it, raising it but all pretty much gave me the same results...less than 100. It takes about 2 hours to finish a download!! So what's the average (not your highest rate) torrents are running? I can't possibly just end up with 2 ISP on the slow part of town. And I've never seen Rapidshare anywhere near that speed, even with the paid account. I know back in the US, I usually get Megaupload to go about 400-600. Oh and of course I'm talking about kB/s :o

Edited by hellavagi

Latest studies show that torrent downloads are responsible 50 - 70 % of global internet traffic. Eastern europe is the highest on 70%...

Too lazy to google the links here now...

So get satellite dish for tv series or start buying dvd's or even copies and free the internet to be used what it is supposed to be used !

So what's the average (not your highest rate) torrents are running? I can't possibly just end up with 2 ISP on the slow part of town. And I've never seen Rapidshare anywhere near that speed, even with the paid account. I know back in the US, I usually get Megaupload to go about 400-600. Oh and of course I'm talking about kB/s :o

Depends on the number of seeds. An 'average' figure for a torrent is kind of meaningless. I can max out my connection at around 265k easily on a good torrent (I'm in BKK - Asoke, True ADSL 2MB) pretty much any time day or night. If you can't max out your connection on the latest episode of 24 from a public tracker you definitely have a problem somewhere.

Latest studies show that torrent downloads are responsible 50 - 70 % of global internet traffic. Eastern europe is the highest on 70%...

Too lazy to google the links here now...

So get satellite dish for tv series or start buying dvd's or even copies and free the internet to be used what it is supposed to be used !

And that would be what? Googleing what percentage of internet traffic torrent downloads are responsible for?

I'm not that far away from Asok (I think...I'm about 2 train stops away...don't really know BKK enough). I don't know where the problem is, the tech guy from True said that they were limiting bandwidth on torrents (which they do), but ToT doesn't. And these same settings work just fine in Chon Buri, where I can torrent multiple files all going over 200 at least on a 2Mb TTT. I want to say it's the connection since the signal is coming in 2Mb but I can't seem to download stuff any faster than 150. Oh, Chuck finished...elaspe time, 1h40m >_<

And MJo, if you can tell me where I can get a satelite in this country that can recieve signal from US, then I would go and buy one tomorrow so I can save me the hasstle of torrenting everything. But as far as I know, satelites here can only get FTA tv from India and China...we have one of those. And UBC pretty much sucks...we have that too. And there's no dvd that's up to the current episodes shown, or even dvd of the shows to begin with. AND with online sites such as Hulu being only for the US, and with the kind of limited international gateway here, you can't really use a proxy. Well you can, but you might as well be watching a slide show. So what's left? Internet download, whether it's by direct download or torrent. And what exactly is the internet supposed to be used for? Right now, they are pushing for HD streaming and doesn't that eat up alot of bandwidth too? I think it's more accurate to say that the internet has to change to meet the needs of more demanding transfers.

Edited by hellavagi

I have a 2MB True connection and get max of about 220-240kb/s.

But these are from local Thai trackers. I have never gotten higher than 80-90k for a non-local tracker like piratebay, demonoid even with hundreds of seeds, but there are also hundreds of more peers. It depends on the seeder to peer ratio. And also if it is a TRUE or TOT 2MB connection its not a true 2MB connection like in the U.S. or Korea, Japan. Remember we are in Thailand. Most pings have to go halfway around the world.

I'm not that far away from Asok (I think...I'm about 2 train stops away...don't really know BKK enough). I don't know where the problem is, the tech guy from True said that they were limiting bandwidth on torrents (which they do), but ToT doesn't.

Never heard of True doing any kind of 'traffic shaping.' I would imagine they're far too busy with their corporate strategy of utter incompetence and total stupidity for that. My experience with this connection certainly doesn't support that contention. Anyway, hope you get it sorted out... Good luck.

Welcome to Thailand

There isn't enough bandwidth in/out of Thailand.

Guess why.

If there was a torrent site in Thailand, then surely that would work fast?

Or if we all used Vuze and their "friend" service...with all the friends in Thailand.

Just thinking aloud. (On the keyboard for all you pedants).

Well I'm in Chon Buri right now, and I got my torrents to go about 200-250. At first I couldn't get it to go anyway near a 100 while another computer could do 250 and I was getting 200 for Megaupload, so I wonder if the problem was my uTorrent somehow getting messed up. I tried reinstalling uTorrent and that just caused more problems. The uTorrent program folder just disappeared. So I did a system restore and now doing 250 or so. Guess I'll have to try the BKK line again when I get back.

I know True throtles my connections. I did the m-lab test and that's what it said. The ToT line is fine for the time being.

And does anyone know of a good thai tracker that I can actually join? I found a few but they're not taking membership or something...can't read thai.