Pan Road

inf

The latest Time magazine (the one with Kate Winslet on the cover) has a report about Thanon Pan (Pan Road) near Silom.

Is it really a worthwhile place to go and look for restaurants on my (eventual) next visit to Bangkok? Or is it overrated, with the Time article the product of a writer with nothing better to do?

There is one quite well-known place, which I can not recall the name of, as I have never eaten there. I do recall that it has only a Thai language sign in front. When will you be in Bkk. ? I can read Thai, and don't mind walking by the place next time I am in the area.

FYI: This is one example where the romanization of Thai does not work very well (re: the name of the road). If you say "Pan", as in frying pan, no one will understand you. It is closer to the English word "bun".

I live right by there and there are many great restaurants in the area. Several of which were mentioned in the article. Taling Pling I really like and the article was correct it is pretty westernized but normally it's 90pct occupied with Thai. Bussaracum is also on the street further down and does a great lunch buffet for about 150 baht. Many Indian restaurants that are dirt cheap that were not mentioned starting at Silom 11 all the way down to Soi Pramuan (after 17) which also has 2 great Thai restaurants including the restaurant Kalapapreuck which has western food and desserts.

The market they talk about is very popular in the morning across from the Indian Temple and in front of the Mosque. Lot's of food and great veg and fruit. But the market is busy until 10a or so.

Very popular bakery, next to Indian Temple which sells out by 12n. It's Thai style and not western but is lovely and fresh.

There is one quite well-known place, which I can not recall the name of, as I have never eaten there. I do recall that it has only a Thai language sign in front. When will you be in Bkk. ? I can read Thai, and don't mind walking by the place next time I am in the area.

FYI: This is one example where the romanization of Thai does not work very well (re: the name of the road). If you say "Pan", as in frying pan, no one will understand you. It is closer to the English word "bun".

ถนน ปั้น

certainly an interesting name for a road, i didn't know what that word meant until now, can have many meanings in different phrases, but mostly all lending towards molding/sculpting etc.. i presume this road has some historical throwback to that.

The latest Time magazine (the one with Kate Winslet on the cover) has a report about Thanon Pan (Pan Road) near Silom.

Is it really a worthwhile place to go and look for restaurants on my (eventual) next visit to Bangkok? Or is it overrated, with the Time article the product of a writer with nothing better to do?

I believe that THIS is the article , correct ?

For high-end, the Opus wine bar has recently opened on Pan Rd, about 50m from the Sathorn end.

I'd like to try the Iranian restaurant - anyone been there? Looks rundown, but might be a gem.

I have been there, I got the Shiites :o

opus or iranian?

its a play on words, jokes lose their appeal when you have to explain them :o

I'm pretty sure he got the joke. But I also was wondering about the Iranian restaurant myself.

Actually, based on my experience on this forum, the statistical presumption was a shocking spelling mistake :D