Is A California Wow Going Out Of Business?

dave9988

California WOW has always been run as a huckster type of operation in my opinion. PriceWaterhouseCoopers (one of world's largest accounting firms) in February of this year gave their unqualified opinion expressing doubt that California WOW can continue as a going concern. When I was in Bangkok, I always used to enjoy working out on the nice equipment at their Sukhumvit location despite their sleazy policies and loud annoying music. IMHO in the near future they are probably going to be sold to someone else or will wind up in bankruptcy.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I joined CWOW in CM a couple of months ago. I paid 8,000 for a lifetime membership, but I was told I was getting a 4,000 discount as this membership had already been sold but the buyer could not come up with the rest of the money after putting down a 4k deposit.

Why would someone just put down a deposit????

After I had signed up the salesgirl asked if I could give her 1,000 baht as she had made no commission on the sale. I politlely told her to take it up with her bosses.

Anyway after my fist session with an trainer he sat me down and we discussed what my goals were.

He said that to achieve them would take 5 months coming 3 times a week (no, I was not in the best of shape!!!)

The cost to have him help me achive this ...47,000 Baht !!!! I told him he had to be joking...so he halved it and took off some more so it came down to 20k....I told him to shove it as he should not have tried to rip me off.

I am perfectly happy training alone or even better with my wife, but she is constantly barrarged about new services they are offering...for a price of course.

I expected to be hasled regarding the Personal Training...other than that I have no issues with them, I just ignore anything they have to offer me.

He said that to achieve them would take 5 months coming 3 times a week (no, I was not in the best of shape!!!)

The cost to have him help me achive this ...47,000 Baht !!!!

If the trainer is good, that's an excellent price. I pay around 900 baht per hour for a very well-qualified trainer at True Fitness, Asoke. And I should know he's good, I'm qualified myself.

5 months x 3 per week, is about 60 sessions, right? So that's 780 baht a session. I just paid 2500 baht an hour in my other gym in Paris :o

Does the Asoke branch always run out of hand towels in the afternoon, or do they simply not have them anymore? I brought it up with the manager since they had run out around 6PM and he motioned towards the reception area saying to contact the HQ. :D Shouldn't it be his job to bring up with HQ any issues that customers have? I told him it was pretty nasty that the place was packed full of sweaty smelly people and not one of them had a towel to wipe down the equipment or themselves. I didn't even get the Thai smile response for that one, just an odd stare before he walked away. It's all about customer service! :o

I didn't expect much since it's been obvious for a while now that they're on their way out, but I'm just wondering if I should buy hand towels to bring with me for as long as the place remains open, or if this just happens every once in a while.

Fitness First Gyms (which are much more expensive than CW) don't supply any towels at all.

I think CW can last another 1 to 2 years before tanking.

Does the Asoke branch always run out of hand towels in the afternoon, or do they simply not have them anymore? I brought it up with the manager since they had run out around 6PM and he motioned towards the reception area saying to contact the HQ. :D Shouldn't it be his job to bring up with HQ any issues that customers have? I told him it was pretty nasty that the place was packed full of sweaty smelly people and not one of them had a towel to wipe down the equipment or themselves. I didn't even get the Thai smile response for that one, just an odd stare before he walked away. It's all about customer service! :o

I didn't expect much since it's been obvious for a while now that they're on their way out, but I'm just wondering if I should buy hand towels to bring with me for as long as the place remains open, or if this just happens every once in a while.

Fitness First Gyms (which are much more expensive than CW) don't supply any towels at all.

You are wrong, Fitness First Platinum supply towels and even tshirt and training every time you going there.

You are wrong, Fitness First Platinum supply towels and even tshirt and training every time you going there.

well the two I have been to, Future Park and Landmark didn't ,unless you paid extra.

The irony of human behaviour.

I know of some people who prefer to drive their car for a business meeting than to take a 15 minutes walk to there at 2pm. And then tell you he is going to his gym later for a workout and a suana. He could have achieved all those workout and suana sweating by just a change in attitude, and reduce his credit card bill.

I know of some people who prefer to drive their car for a business meeting than to take a 15 minutes walk to there at 2pm. And then tell you he is going to his gym later for a workout and a suana. He could have achieved all those workout and suana sweating by just a change in attitude, and reduce his credit card bill.

Yeah that's a great idea; show up to your business meeting directly after doing 15 minutes of "suana sweating" (walking in the hot sun). I'm sure they'd be impress when you explained that you were doing it to save on a gym membership.

Yeah that's a great idea; show up to your business meeting directly after doing 15 minutes of "suana sweating" (walking in the hot sun). I'm sure they'd be impress when you explained that you were doing it to save on a gym membership.

Yep...a great impression, especially when you re a business consultant who is offering optimum cost to your client while maximising his profit. What more trustworthy statement to make than to show it in the way you lead your life.

I go to business meetings in jeans and tee-shirts, and not long sleeves and tie.

Yep...a great impression, especially when you re a business consultant who is offering optimum cost to your client while maximising his profit. What more trustworthy statement to make than to show it in the way you lead your life.

I go to business meetings in jeans and tee-shirts, and not long sleeves and tie.

Yes, better than that just show up in a bath robe, long hair and beard, pit-stains and explain that you offer optimum costs by: Not buying a gym membership and running to meetings, not wasting money on fancy clothes, or throwing money away on razorblades, showers or an apartment....

What planet are you from mate?

Yes, better than that just show up in a bath robe, long hair and beard, pit-stains and explain that you offer optimum costs by: Not buying a gym membership and running to meetings, not wasting money on fancy clothes, or throwing money away on razorblades, showers or an apartment....

What planet are you from mate?

Same planet as you mate...except that I know the line between being lavish and being neat and tidy.

The wife just came back from California Fitness today and said "It won't be long before they close down".

She went to Sukhumvit Soi 31 (which is closing down soon anyway) and saw "foreigners" talking with the management or owners. She said everyone there was talking about California Fitness being sold to foreigners. (not only the Soi 31 branch but the whole company).

Somehow she is always seems to be spot on with rumours.

The wife just came back from California Fitness today and said "It won't be long before they close down".

She went to Sukhumvit Soi 31 (which is closing down soon anyway) and saw "foreigners" talking with the management or owners. She said everyone there was talking about California Fitness being sold to foreigners. (not only the Soi 31 branch but the whole company).

If they do sell it, and the new owners don't honor current memberships at least for a year or 2, then good luck to them in getting any new customers.

perhaps it was just someone looking at the space if CW vacate it? more likely the case.

If the trainer is good, that's an excellent price. I pay around 900 baht per hour for a very well-qualified trainer at True Fitness, Asoke. And I should know he's good, I'm qualified myself.

5 months x 3 per week, is about 60 sessions, right? So that's 780 baht a session. I just paid 2500 baht an hour in my other gym in Paris :o

The PT's I have come accross in CW in CM do not come accross as "Proper" physical trainers... the trainer I had , had only been there 3 months and before that he was a mechanic!!!

During my initial session with him I told him I had a problem with my left knee and it should not be exposed to risk. Well he asked me to try one excersise and it swelled up like a baloon and I had to have a bandage on it for a week to support it....a real PT would not have done this to me...he was rushing around like a madman getting ice packs and towels to put on it.

Not only that but if his rate WAS 750 baht an hour then why would be drop it to 300...would this happen in Paris?? or the UK for that matter..NO.

Edited by ThaiPauly

5 months x 3 per week, is about 60 sessions, right? So that's 780 baht a session. I just paid 2500 baht an hour in my other gym in Paris :D

The PT's I have come accross in CW in CM do not come accross as "Proper" physical trainers... the trainer I had , had only been there 3 months and before that he was a mechanic!!!

During my initial session with him I told him I had a problem with my left knee and it should not be exposed to risk. Well he asked me to try one excersise and it swelled up like a baloon and I had to have a bandage on it for a week to support it....a real PT would not have done this to me...he was rushing around like a madman getting ice packs and towels to put on it.

Not only that but if his rate WAS 750 baht an hour then why would be drop it to 300...would this happen in Paris?? or the UK for that matter..NO.

In my experience with CW "trainers"...they are not really personal "trainers" as we would know them, not quite sure what they are, but pretty sure they do not have any formal training or qualifications ??

My Mrs had a personal trainer at CW for a few weeks and although I dont profess to be an expert other having played competative sport for many years, Even I could see some of things she was being shown where completely wrong to the point of injuring somebody with the exercises, in the end I intervened and told the trainer, that did she realise you could seriously injury someone...reaction...mai pen rai....Stopped the Mrs' CW "personal" trainer and started training with the Mrs myself

....about a week after cancelling the CW trainer, my Mrs got a phone call from the same trainer trying to sell her 30 sessions with a CW "trainer"... :o:D

Why do people take personal trainers ? You can learn a lot from reading various bodybuilder sites (i dont mean the sites from the pro's because they are full of bullshit). Just normal sites like these, there are sites where exersises are explained and there are great stater sheduals like rippetoe. You get someone to instruct you a few times and your off. Most trainers here dont know much, i been to a few gyms and im not impressed.

I can understand that someone who has never trained b4 is impressed. If you keep to the machines (less effective) its real hard to do those wrong after you have been instructed a few times or if you have looked them up on the internet.

Just my 2 cents.

Why do people take personal trainers ? You can learn a lot from reading various bodybuilder sites (i dont mean the sites from the pro's because they are full of bullshit). Just normal sites like these, there are sites where exersises are explained and there are great stater sheduals like rippetoe. You get someone to instruct you a few times and your off. Most trainers here dont know much, i been to a few gyms and im not impressed.

I can understand that someone who has never trained b4 is impressed. If you keep to the machines (less effective) its real hard to do those wrong after you have been instructed a few times or if you have looked them up on the internet.

Just my 2 cents.

If you're an 'average' gym-goer, you're absolutely right. What you can read in a book will be enough.

However, if you're aiming for a certain fitness goal where you want to push yourself, a trainer is essential to 'spot' you so you don't go dropping 200kg of weights on your head, and to motivate you to go that one more rep when you would otherwise give up.

But again, only if the trainer is qualified. I've been impressed with what I've seen at True Fitness. Fitness First trainers also seem to be faily well qualified, in keeping with the brand.

CW trainers are basically just man-whores. Am I allowed to say that?!? :o

Just my 2 cents.

If you're an 'average' gym-goer, you're absolutely right. What you can read in a book will be enough.

However, if you're aiming for a certain fitness goal where you want to push yourself, a trainer is essential to 'spot' you so you don't go dropping 200kg of weights on your head, and to motivate you to go that one more rep when you would otherwise give up.

But again, only if the trainer is qualified. I've been impressed with what I've seen at True Fitness. Fitness First trainers also seem to be faily well qualified, in keeping with the brand.

no if you're a fat or lazy bum. you dont need someone to push you because if you do need someone, one day you will simply go back to your fat self again. You have to wait untill you can move your worthless ass by yourself.

Then if you're not dumb you wont use too much weight, spots are for sissies and powerlifter, not fat slobs benching 25kg

A little off topic, but could California Fitness be fudging a little in their weights, making them seem heavier than they really are in order to make their clients feel good?  It seems like it would be way more trouble that in it worth, but after last night, I am wondering.

I usually lift at California Fitness Pin Klao.  But last night, I went with friends tothe fitness center at the Riverine Condos in Nothanburi.  When I did my normal free weights, they seemed a little heavy but within a reasonable range. My arms started buring on my second set of curls where they normally do not burn until the fourth set. It was hard to tell for sure as they didn't have heavy enough weights for my normal lift in several exercises.  But then, I went to do some pulldowns.  At CW, I pulldown 160 lbs, the maximum on the machine, and it is fairly easy. At Riverine, I went to 160 lbs, and I about busted my gut. I could barely crank them out.

So either I had an attack of the wussies, or the weights just aren't the same at both places.

A little off topic, but could California Fitness be fudging a little in their weights, making them seem heavier than they really are in order to make their clients feel good?  It seems like it would be way more trouble that in it worth, but after last night, I am wondering.

I usually lift at California Fitness Pin Klao.  But last night, I went with friends tothe fitness center at the Riverine Condos in Nothanburi.  When I did my normal free weights, they seemed a little heavy but within a reasonable range. My arms started buring on my second set of curls where they normally do not burn until the fourth set. It was hard to tell for sure as they didn't have heavy enough weights for my normal lift in several exercises.  But then, I went to do some pulldowns.  At CW, I pulldown 160 lbs, the maximum on the machine, and it is fairly easy. At Riverine, I went to 160 lbs, and I about busted my gut. I could barely crank them out.

So either I had an attack of the wussies, or the weights just aren't the same at both places.

This seems more plausible mate :o

Just my 2 cents.

Mrs CC - never the most motivated individual to take up exercise - lost around 10kg's with the help of a PT at Fitness First Rama III - I never trained there myself but was impressed with the (female) PT when I met her - she gave the impression of knowing what she was on about.

That said, it was mostly cardio / fat burning exercise, plus some light weight / hi rep stuff to get muscles toned up. Now she's moved to Singapore, Mrs CC has declined my offer to enrol her in a gym and trains by herself. She hasn't lost any more, but then she hasn't put it back on either.

So I agree with what you say to some extent - but perhaps unless you're planning a very long term exercise programme, maybe training for something specific, I am not sure you need to keep employing a PT - just use them to get you started and then take if from there - training with a buddy of reasonably close physical condition would be ideal, so you can push each other a little.

Here in Singapore, True Fitness took over Planet Fitness a few months back. I've trained at True and the PT I had was pretty good, worked me hard. But the PT I now have at California (no 'Wow' bit here thankfully) is better and I have lost 17kg since starting with him. There's definitely a price war between Cali, True and FF here, made worse as the recession means less people are going to the gyms in the first place...

CC

Just my 2 cents.

Im not an average gym goer.. i work out hard and heavy.. i don't need a personal trainer. I got a power rack with safeties that keeps me from dropping my weights when i cant handle them. I train alone at home and do the major 3 deadlift, squat, benchpress.

Its fun to have a partner to spot you but its not always necessary if you have safeties.. I go to failure (not always because that would be to extreme).

Count the number of winches.. not sure the round things that guide the weights.. the more there are the lighter the weight is. There is always some difference between machines.

With free weights you could be sure .. but i doubt anyone would change free weights.

Interesting in the context of the OP's title for this thread that today CAWOW is the biggest percentage gainer on the SET...

Last 0.76

Change +0.17

%Change +28.81

Prior 0.59

Open 0.59

High 0.76

Low 0.59

Volume (Shares) 18,823,300

Value ('000 Baht) 12,936

Average Price* 0.68

Just as a follow up to my last post, a quick lookey at the SET this AM has California Wow shares in the top ten gainers again!

CAWOW 16,812,100 0.89 +0.13 (+17.11%)

Recapping, opened yesterday at .59 per share... Now at .89.

Interesting for a company supposedly going out of business. :o