Singapore: Which Districts/roads Are Popular Expats' Choice For Residence?

trogers

I would like input from members of this forum who had rented or are still renting a place of residence in Singapore. Thanks.

Districts 9,10,11 in the middle of the island near to town....orchard road, holland road, bukit timah...but these are prime real estate and will set you back quite a bit. depends on which country you come from too. The Yankees now like to stay in Woodlands (suburbs near the malaysian border)....the Japs like to stay in East Coast near the airport and by the sea.

I have previously stayed in Fraser Place (Robertson Walk) just off River Valley and Mohammed Sultan.

Also in Liang Court, at Clarke Quay.

At Far East Plaza, Scott's Road.

Shared an HDB in Gim Moh, Holland V and Shunfu Road.

To be honest the standard of living was great in the serviced apartments (Fraser Place, Liang Court and even Far East Plaza) but the cost was way too much. Fraser Place for example was around 12k US per month for a 3 bedroom apartment.

I wouldn't jump at the chance to work in Singapore again, infact now days the most time I spend there is in transit.

Anyway, that is just my opinion.

I am / was trying to set something up there and accommodation was the killer. Either you pay OTT for a place of any size in the centre or you pay OTT for a stylish pad of 1 bed or you end up with relatively huge 2/3/4 bedroomed condos which is far too much space and too much money. Then they want you to sign for 2 years and if under $2500/$3000 pay for the contract. Way way too many problems.

Hotels a nightmare now on prices and serviced apartments very costly. Sharing has it's own problems.

I am / was trying to set something up there and accommodation was the killer. Either you pay OTT for a place of any size in the centre or you pay OTT for a stylish pad of 1 bed or you end up with relatively huge 2/3/4 bedroomed condos which is far too much space and too much money. Then they want you to sign for 2 years and if under $2500/$3000 pay for the contract. Way way too many problems.

I wound up renting in the north part of Singapore on account of that. Rental rates still can't be called a good value but they're a bit less obscene. Intially the rates in that area looked cheaper than what I finally was able the obtain though. The "catch" turned out to be the the cheaper places were less convenieintly located in terms of public transport, meaning that you'd really want to have a car if you lived there (which is an expensive propostion in Singapore). And any place that is, for instance, right on the MRT line will rent for at least a somewhat of a premium price even out in the sticks.

Alot of farangs who are looking for a cheaper option than those areas mentioned above live in the Pasir Panjang / South Buona Vista / West Coast Highway area which is on the South side. Easy access to Downtown and alot cheaper and quieter.

In Singapore, they call farangs- Ang Moh. And I've lived in Singapore for more than 20 years. For the expats, most of them like to live around Bukit timah road, upper bukit timah road, near Holland village (which is really popular with the expats), Tanjong Pagar, Dunearn road, Katong area(which is also popular among the rich singaporeans), Thompson road, upper Thompson road, Novena area, Newton road, etc.

Basically, if you will be having a company car, then places like Thompson road, Holland Village, Katong will be really nice because it's not far from the Central district and living is more relax and quiet. If not, try looking via the MRT line and source those places around MRT like Novena, Newton, Tanjong Pagar, Lavendar, Bugis, Little India,etc which can be easily access via the MRT.

Places like River Valley, Mohd Sultan road, Marina South, Orchard area are REALLY expensive and not worth paying for since Singapore is rather well delveloped and almost every district has got a huge shopping mall. So it's actually wiser to live somewhere slightly off the CBD.

In Singapore, they call farangs- Ang Moh.

Sin/Malaysia: Ang Moh = Chinese (Hokkian) for "Red Hair".

Thailand: Farang = as you all knew, came from the word France.

HongKong: Kwai Low = Chinese (Cantonese) for "Ghost Man"

Edited by samgrowth

The Chaos family live in a condo within a row of preserved shophouses in Chinatown --- not everyone's taste but I like it coz it's cheap for a modern place that is within walking distance of the river area, Boat Quay/Clarke Quay and the CBD etc, and Mrs CC likes it coz there's no shortage of cheapo hawker centres and shophouse restaurants around that remind her of Bangkok!

Ultimately we will move on when the lease expires as MiniChaos is at school up near Novena and it's a bit of a trek, but apart from that, we like it...

CC

I and the family currently live in a 2 bed Condo in Harbourfront area.

Which is great because I can jog to work in the CBD (it is only 4km) and we have a ton of shops in Vivo City. Its got some nice parks and can get to Sentosa easy.

Been in the condo 2 years now and will probably stay on at least another year when it comes up for renewal.

Another one stayed or is staying in Bedok/Changi, or Kim Kiat/Toa Payoh, or Upper Serangoon area? These areas are also served by the MRT.

Toa Payoh/ Novena are is good option as it is few MRT stations to Orchard Road

Kim Keat/ Tiong Bahru area is also few stations away from CBD area